Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
Didi you guys rebuild the cache after switching back the kernel and System kext?

I found some commands online but not sure if this would do the trick

sudo chown root:admin /
(the system will ask your password to grant access to the sudo chown command as this requires admin privileges)

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches

RV-ABZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
Actually, it's more like:
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel

I've also come to realise that the cache could not be rebuilt and Bluetooth services may be non-functional until the following 3 kexts are also rolled back:
  • IOBluetoothFamily.kext
  • IOBluetoothHIDDriver.kext
  • IOSerialFamily.kext

Last edited:

RV-ABZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
I have installed the 2015-001 security update with pacifist, and then replaced the mentioned two file.

But My Macbook Pro 2,2 stuck at the white apple and kept spinning after rebooting, until I re-applied MLPF.

And the 2015-001 still existed in the update area….

Any suggestion?
Indeed, I've just noticed it: after the rollback, the update is back on offer in the AppStore updates.

See post #4211 to get rid of it.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
Indeed, I've just noticed it: after the rollback, the update is back on offer in the AppStore updates.

Tried that as well, update simply shows up again when I change system.plist to reflect 10.8.5

Commandor

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2012
I have done that with post #4211, unless I missed anything during my 5 tries :eek:

I doubt that his update doesn't show 2015-001 is because his systemversioin.plist is overwrought by MLPF.

jonobin

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
I'm not using MLPF anymore. Simply installed 10.8 (version from App Store), with small modifications.
- updated PlatformSupport.plist (inserted my model id and board id)
- copied ATI X1600 kexts from 10.7 (this works with 64bit kernel too)
- copied OpenCL and OpenGL frameworks from 10.7
- installed VoodooHDA audio driver

Now it's boots with 64bit 10.8.5 kernel with this modifications on my iMac Early 2006.

I also replaced iMac4,1 firmware with iMac5,1 to allow 3GB memory (2x2GB modules).

Clover is a bootloader for pc based hackintosh systems, but it's can boot OS X on real mac, and i think, it's can help to fix things on my frankenmac systems. More info: http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/110471-how-fix-imessage.html https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1740775/

Currently i don't have time, to check this, because i live another city, and when i'm going to my parents on weekends, the time is not enough to handle this problem. Maybe anyone can try some idea from this posts.

Is SMB working?
What about doing this with a macbook with a GMAx3100?

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
I have done that with post #4211, unless I missed anything during my 5 tries :eek:

I doubt that his update doesn't show 2015-001 is because his systemversioin.plist is overwrought by MLPF.

agreed, when changing back the system.plist it shows the update again. Guess we will have to live with it showing the update.

RV-ABZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
agreed, when changing back the system.plist it shows the update again. Guess we will have to live with it showing the update.
I kept re-installing the Security Update everytime it re-appeared (with subsequent kernel + kexts rollbacks) and, after maybe 2 or 3 re-installations, AppStore no longer prompts me for the update…

To think of it, it's not the 1st time I experience this behaviour...

Last edited:

indiecraig

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2008
After going back to Lion last year due to small (but significant at the time) issues, I have decided to try Mountain Lion using MacPostFactor on a second partition, to see if there are any improvements on MLPF.

After successfully going through the first part of the procedure (preparing the partition or USB drive), I can not get the installer to boot. My MacBook 3,1 (late '07 version) just boots straight back to Lion. I have tried:
  • Direct install to a second partition
  • Install to a USB thumb drive (used successfully with MLPF in the past)
  • Install to a USB hard drive
  • Install to USB drives from a fresh Lion install

Has anybody got a suggestion as to what I'm doing wrong? I can only really come to the conclusion that there is a compatibility issue with MacPostFactor and this model of MacBook.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
- Legacy Macs (GMA950,X3100) will be limited to Mountain Lion 10.8.5 only.
- X1600 will support both Mavericks and Yosemite in the next update (Est Jan 2015)
- Handoff & Continuity on ALL unsupported Macs in the future update (Est Jan-Feb 2015)[/B]

Just curious if there is any update on these two features? I have a X1600 iMac that I'd love to get Yosemite on, along with Handoff/Continuity support on multiple machines.

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Just curious if there is any update on these two features? I have a X1600 iMac that I'd love to get Yosemite on, along with Handoff/Continuity support on multiple machines.

X1600 Kexts can be found in the 'YosemitePatchFiles.zip' from the download link 'OS X Yosemite Patch only on OS X Hackers' in this Post.

According to this Post, the Kexts won't have Graphics Acceleration yet.

RV-ABZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
Well, that's a surprise, eh? So much teasing and promises to end up this sad way... Can't say I did not see this coming eventually. After about 3 years, reality is sort of inevitable...

The new kernel and kexts installed by 10.8.5 latest Security Update can easily be circumvented, I've posted how above: rollback 12.0.0 mach_kernel + System.kext + the 3 x IO... kexts.

GMA950, GMA X3100, GeForce 7xxx, ATI X1xxx, all are obsolete and any post-ML OS X versions should be just forgotten on those platforms. It's a dead-end.

Last edited:

Halian

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2015
Central Florida
I tried to run MCPF on my MacBook3,1, but it gets stuck in an infinite loop of "Please wait n seconds..." on the Ad Fly screen. What can I do to get past this?

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010

Beside the X1600 Kexts the appropriate OpenCL/GL Framework files can now be found in the updated 'OS X Hackers v1.2 Beta 1.zip' in this Post.

Simply use 'Pacifist' to extract the .pkg files inside the /OS X Hackers.mpkg/Contents/Packages/ folder.

Please note that this solution has still an experimental Beta status.

Gerryhatrick

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2015
Mountain lion 10.8 install worked! But......

Hi guys newbie here. I seem to have successfully installed mountain lion 10.8 on my late 2006 core 2 using mlpostfactor but my problem lies with post install setup.
No matter how I approach this (skipping internet connection or not, logging into App Store or not, setting up different users etc etc) two problems persist:

I cannot change my location, this page will not allow me to input anything - I have to stay with the default.

Nevertheless setup finishes normally and I do get to the login page but if I attempt to log in I get into a login loop; screen goes white and then reverts back to the login page.

So near yet so far and I haven't found a similar problem posted anywhere!

Help and advice much appreciated ....

gabeulici

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2015
Hello All!

I'm trying to install Mountain Lion using MacPostFactor on my Black MacBook4,1.
It creates the drive successfully, but on the reboot it loads the original Lion every time. Then MacPostFactor window comes up and "MacPostFactor wasn't launched correctly" error.

What can I do?

Thank You!

did you succeed on installing MLion on your mac?

Gerryhatrick

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2015
Hi guys newbie here. I seem to have successfully installed mountain lion 10.8 on my late 2006 core 2 using mlpostfactor but my problem lies with post install setup.
No matter how I approach this (skipping internet connection or not, logging into App Store or not, setting up different users etc etc) two problems persist:

I cannot change my location, this page will not allow me to input anything - I have to stay with the default.

Nevertheless setup finishes normally and I do get to the login page but if I attempt to log in I get into a login loop; screen goes white and then reverts back to the login page.

No luck so far. Post 3654 mentioned patched OpenGl and OpenCL folders - I have no idea what is patched and where to get them.(I have googled!). I have imported the Kexts as detailed but above symptoms are unchanged.

Gerryhatrick

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2015

SUCCESS at last: (Imac 17" Core 2 duo ATX1600 late 2006) To be brief, I used MLPostfactor to install and patched using the contents of Hack ML V3.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1550560/

I copied the kext files and (I'm guessing crucially) the hacked OpenGL folder from Hack to my ML installation.

Seems to be working smoothly and as fast as my Lion install, but:

I don't think video acceleration (visual effects when closing folders?) is working.

Blutooth problems also:

I have lost scrolling on my magic mouse. left and right clicking are OK but discovering/setup blutooth mouse is hit and miss and the system eventually discovers "benthomas's mouse" (??). Clicking blutooth in system preferences throws up an error.

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Post 3654 mentioned patched OpenGL and OpenCL folders - I have no idea what is patched and where to get them.

Just replace in '/System/Library/Frameworks/' the folder 'OpenCL.framework' as well as 'OpenGL.framework' with the patched versions which can be found in Post #3670 or Post #3741. The solution from Post #4223 might also work. Make sure that the symbolic links are extracted, works e.g. with 'The Unarchiver.app'.

Blutooth problems also:

Maybe the solution from Post #4053 might help.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.