Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

globalhiccup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Can someone kindly advise me on how to install the new airport/bluetooth card on a G5 Quad PowerMac. Yes, I am aware that Apple say this is not a user task! Diagram would help. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: barracuda156

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
ok, and now for a post that will actually help you. The two little antennas aren't different, so either clips into either part of the first half of the airport/bluetooth kit. Once they're both secure, simple screw it togeather and then secure it to the mount.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
Yeah, the PDF you have there was for the old G5s that took airport extreme cards. The new G5s, the ones with both bluetooth and airport in one card, don't have the same configuration at all. I've installed on both.

lesbarn

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2005
Kansas
Added airport/bluetooth G5 Dual Core

I figured I would place the information here since the dual core and quad use the same card. I spent a lot of hours looking through web pages for information and found very little info. I decided I would do the project anyway. I wanted to have a new wireless mighty mouse and keyboard so I did not have much choice. I will give you the brief plan and I will make a detailed instruction sheet tonight. Here is the brief version.
1. Order the correct part I used sweatwater.com http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G5Wireless/
2. Open the case, remove the fan assembly that is over the RAM slots, and find the airport/bluetooth slot at the front of the computer.
3. Unclip the wires and attach them to the airport/bluetooth card (small gray one)This step took me awhile because you have to make sure the end of the wires matche exactly to the mounts onto the little card.
4.Mount the small card onto the runway card. I seated the card and then installed the included screws. This was a little tricky because I was working inside the case.
5. Now the card is ready to installed into the slot on the motherboard. The motherboard slot is marked with a small triangle showing pin 1 and the runway card is marked too.(on the back of the card) Basically you keep the mounted wires toward the front of the computer. Line up the card in the slot and seat it. It will snap into place. Make sure you check alignment before pushing it in.
6. Now the most fun part of the adventure-- the plastic rivets. I was unable to use these little jewels. I believe what is necessary is to remove the fan just above the airport/bluetooth card slot, but I was unable to remove the power connector from the fan. I am sure it is some type of clip that needs to be moved a certain way. After too much time messing around with the rivets, I secured the card with a plastic wire tie which worked fine.
7. I fired up the G5 and it saw the card. I had to give it an beginning Airport configuration and then it let me choose encryption method. I then paired my new Apple wireless keybard by going throught the system preferences keyboards and mice. I am using 10.4.7 so I did not need the software on the CD or any firmware update.
8. Now I am using my wireless keyboard and patiently wait for my wireless mighty mouse.
I hope this info helps. I will do my best to create a detailed plan with pictures tonight and make it available via a pdf.
Les

MacNigel

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2006
Airport installation: the 'rivets' and a security note

lesbarn said:
Now the most fun part of the adventure-- the plastic rivets. I was unable to use these little jewels. I believe what is necessary is to remove the fan just above the airport/bluetooth card slot, but I was unable to remove the power connector from the fan. I am sure it is some type of clip that needs to be moved a certain way.

Les

Les, and others, a quick note on those little rivets:

They are more simple to install than you might have imagined and it is NOT necessary to remove anything further than you already have done. Notice that each rivet is in two halves. Pull them apart and you'll see that the male part has the head, and the female part is a split tapered sleeve. Looking at the lower photo on page 3 of your PDF file, simply insert the female part of each rivet into each of the two holes as you see them on your photo (i.e. from this side (actually the underside) of the card--no need to go behind), and then push the male part of each rivet into each female part, also from this side. As you push the male parts right in they'll suddenly click into place, expanding the split female sections behind the mounting plate and therefore securing the card. It's so obvious it's easily overlooked.

And a note on my installation and the very necessary WPA security implementation:

After I'd installed mine and booted up first time, the system acknowledged the presence of the card but said it couldnt initialise it because it wasn't installed properly. I knew it was, and my heart sank. But after a visit to the network preferences all was well, the card suddenly showed up as active in Profiler and I was quickly logging on to a 'Belkin G router' several stone walls away without any problems at all. So if this happens to you don't panic. Even the WPA (with password) security settings work well, and I've read a lot of comments from folk who can't make their Macs work with security enabled on their Belkin router. Some minimum requirements for this can be found at: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107795

Hope this is helpful.

Garand

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2006
Thanks for the process outline above. WhenI opened the Dual 2.5G5 I do not see two antena wires. Well I see two wires but one has such a large head on it I do not see how it will allow the card to connect to the board? We connected one wire but no success yet.

Sharky II

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom
Hi guys - i just installed the airport/bluetooth card into my dualcore 2.0ghz g5 pcie. Where do you find these plastic rivets, though? I don't have them in my machine, and the card isn't secure.

Thanks

Eddie

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
hello. i realize this post is years old but i could really use this file as i am trying to install a MA252G/A in my g5 quad. any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks.

If you are trying to install the bluetooth airport card, it is very simple. I think some of the posts above outline what's going on.

The plastic rivets if you have them (they are black) are not necessary to install. Tape will do.

the hardest part for me was hooking up the little brass rivets onto the card; then you simple insert the gold tabbed ends into the slot. Small pieces of electrical tape will hold the edges just as well as the black plastic rivets, which sometimes get lost.

Again this is a different card for the late 2005 2.0/2.3 dual and Quad G5s than ALL earlier models which simply take the airport extreme card that is also used in laptops.

The Late 2005 G5 Powermacs have built in bluetooth and airport antennas into the case.

All earlier models have an external antenna thingie for bluetooth and airport. You kinda need them.

dantihon

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2010
installing new airport/bluetooth on G5 (late 2005)

this is my story
Dual 2 Ghz PPC G5 (late 2005) less than 200 hours used since 2006
fresh hdd and os x 10.4.11 just installed,
and, guess what ! AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth Combo Card A1126 I just installed it last week,
but, is no way to heave this thing connected wireless,
Internet Connect Version 1.4.3 can see and connect via bluetooth perfect,
Internet Connect Version 1.4.3 can see the AirPort and the base station witch is also brand new !
but if I hit "Turn AirPort On" on the "Internet Connect Version 1.4.3" a very nice gray curtain coming down the screen and a message on the middle of the screen about the only way to do something with my PPC is to press the power button.
may be my story about PPC have some errors because the english language is my second one,
but I guess you guys understand what I am talking about,
I feel this like a frustration,
I did search around "the internet" for the last couple of days about "AirPort Extreme" a lot,
again, I feel the same frustration how many people they have the same problem and I feel bad because may be most of them just give up about "AirPort" or "PPC" and some just buy the new PowerMac Intel powered,
I love Intel, I also love PPC, but I just don 't feel comfortable to spend my money for a new Apple Computer,
RJ45 is just perfect for me but I have to deal with my boos (my girlfriend) for every piece of wire around the living space
by the way, i configure the base station over B. Gate OS, and everything was fine,
thank for any help guys, :)

Jimbolocke

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2015
I know this is an old thread, but I have a few questions regarding this.

I have a late model G5 and I want to know if I can use the Apple AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth Combo Card A1126
aa_2.JPG

to add wireless to my computer, and if the instructions above are specifically for that model.

or do I have to get the Airport Card Extreme and Bluetooth Upgrade Kit Apple Part MA252G/A
69_2.JPG

or can I just purchase a USB wireless adapter or external device without installing any of the above?

If anyone could help I would appreciate it.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
I know this is an old thread, but I have a few questions regarding this.

I have a late model G5 and I want to know if I can use the Apple AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth Combo Card A1126 Image

to add wireless to my computer, and if the instructions above are specifically for that model.

or do I have to get the Airport Card Extreme and Bluetooth Upgrade Kit Apple Part MA252G/A

or can I just purchase a USB wireless adapter or external device without installing any of the above?

If anyone could help I would appreciate it.

I am wondering the same thing!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.