Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London
Care to name some of them? Blue light reduces melatonin production, which offsets the deep-sleep phase by about an hour and a half. If you can sleep in every morning this won't affect you. If you, like most people, have to get up at the same (usually early) time in the morning, this will rob you of said amount of time of deep sleep and will cause problems. This isn't some sort of esoteric mumbo-jumbo, this has been established decades ago and has been confirmed by countless studies and sleep trials.

I'm confused. Some people are talking about REM sleep, others about deep sleep - the two aren't the same. Similarly, deep sleep tends to occur at the start of the night, REM sleep later on.

ac96156.f2.jpg

I should say, this isn't to say that I disagree with the idea that blue light disrupts sleep. Although anything stimulating will disrupt sleep so imagining that using an electronic device late at night or during wakeful periods is going to be fine just because of a filter is foolish. Simple sleep hygiene, if you want to sleep, switch off!

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Why are we talking about what it is or how to prove it to someone that doesn't care rather than staying on topic which is simply about the options someone might have as far as removing the blue color temperatures or at least something that would help with that (not why or anything like that, which seems to be irrelvant as far as the OP and the thread would be convened)?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I want a general filter that will go to blue light regards of which application and you are using. But as far as I know the iPhone only has certain brands who's you can download that will filter out blue light but not one single application that will filter out all blue lights for all application.

Your kind of stuck.

2 options well three

1,jailbrake and install flux
2, if it's mainly browsing the net >http://appcrawlr.com/ios-apps/best-apps-night-browser
3, buy night glasses off ebay

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.