Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JaneMacmachine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2015
Hi everyone. I have a question I can't quite figure out.

I have a mid 2012 running OS X yosemite with a 1TB SSD in my primary HD bay and a 1tb 5400rpm drive in my cd slot.

The SSD is my primary boot drive and when I installed it I just cloned my original hard drive. My SSD is partitoned with windows as well.

I just finished school and both of my HD's are a mess. I'd like to wipe the mac partitions, and reformat my drive and reinstall Yosemite and use the secondary HHD as storage, without wiping my windows partition

What's the easiest way to go about this and get a better system in place?

Last edited:

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
So the Windows you want to keep is on the HD?
If the HD is still bootable then boot off of the HD, download Yosemite, format the SSD and install Yosemite on to the SSD.
Then go into Settings and select the SSD as the Startup disk.
Then after you've rebooted into Yosemite from the SSD you should be able to format the OSX partition on the HD without effecting your Windows partition.

JaneMacmachine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2015
Cool that sounds logical! Yeah I want to leave windows and wipe both HHD's and reformat the two running mac drives.

I boot into the SSD as my main drive, and the other HD (also running OSX) is just files, but used to be my main account so has almost a duplicate account on there.

It just overcomplicates my file system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.