Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reminisce32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
I'm trying to figure out the cheapest way to get a macbook pro 13 or 15 inch (latest version), most likely used or refurb. Leaning more towards a 15 inch due to the 16gb standard option.

I'm aware of Apple and Best Buy's student discount and Apple refurb, but I'm trying to save more then just that.

I think I've narrowed it down to either best buy (open box) with movers coupon, eBay, or Amazon third party sellers (assuming high number of ratings and high ratings for both eBay and Amazon). Not too sure if I want to try craigslist, even though there doesn't seem like many on there.

Please let me know if you're aware of any better options or ideas. I'm leaning towards an Amazon third party seller because I've been able to accumulate a few hundred worth of Amazon gift cards at 20% off by exchanging store gift cards, but would like to hear if there are even better ways to save money on a macbook pro. Wondering if best buy open box can stack with student gift card and movers coupon as well.

I'd also like to hear of any good deals you've scored.

Thanks for any ideas.

Last edited:

radioking

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
I'd say wait until Best Buy has them on sale and then stack the movers and student discount.

Right now they have the 15" at $1799. So $1799-$50 student-$175 movers=$1575 + tax. I Don't think you're going to beat that.

Open box is $1600 right now minus what coupons you can get them to apply.

I'm pretty sure the movers works for open box, not sure about student.

Also the BB student discount changes. Last year around back to school time it was $100 off.

protoxx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2013
Cheapest way usually starts like this:

Mom....Dad..........................................................

Asher133

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2015
I'm trying to figure out the cheapest way to get a macbook pro 13 or 15 inch (latest version), most likely used or refurb. Leaning more towards a 15 inch due to the 16gb standard option.

I'm aware of Apple and Best Buy's student discount and Apple refurb, but I'm trying to save more then just that.

I think I've narrowed it down to either best buy (open box) with movers coupon, eBay, or Amazon third party sellers (assuming high number of ratings and high ratings for both eBay and Amazon). Not too sure if I want to try craigslist, even though there doesn't seem like many on there.

Please let me know if you're aware of any better options or ideas. I'm leaning towards an Amazon third party seller because I've been able to accumulate a few hundred worth of Amazon gift cards at 20% off by exchanging store gift cards, but would like to hear if there are even better ways to save money on a macbook pro. Wondering if best buy open box can stack with student gift card and movers coupon as well.

I'd also like to hear of any good deals you've scored.

Thanks for any ideas.

Open box doesn't work with student discount and I would use Craigslist before Amazon or eBay you can get really good deals off Craig's list plus you can physical see and test the product before you buy it

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I have bought two Macs and a Cinema Display off craigslist with no problems. All good deals. What is available and the price depends on where you live.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Buy stolen goods

Thats gonna be the cheapest way other than steal it yourself. I don't reccomend either but you did ask.

mlemonds

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
Lexington, KY
I'd say wait until Best Buy has them on sale and then stack the movers and student discount.

Right now they have the 15" at $1799. So $1799-$50 student-$175 movers=$1575 + tax. I Don't think you're going to beat that.

Open box is $1600 right now minus what coupons you can get them to apply.

I'm pretty sure the movers works for open box, not sure about student.

Also the BB student discount changes. Last year around back to school time it was $100 off.

I just used this, didn't have the student discount, but was 1619.99 pre tax. Not too shabby

Markisss88

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2008
Go the eBay route.

I just bought a Mid 2014 stock 15" Macbook Pro 2.5 i7 512GB HD for $2050 no tax. Try emailing some of the sellers :)

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
HUh?

What are you hoping to save, $200? Macs hold their value super well, is that $200 really worth the hassle?

Wait a little longer to build up money, buy the model you want.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Go to Oregon or some other state that doesn't charge sales tax.

Or order from a retailer based in Oregon, such as PowerMax.

How would you go about getting a movers coupon?

Go to your local post office - they'll have a "Movers kit" that includes a change of address form plus a bunch of coupons - Best Buy puts a coupon in every time that is a decent discount.

dmarcia

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2013
Sydney
The best way is if you have a friend working in retailer shop. I live in Sydney and my mates work at Jb-Hifi, he could give me up to 15%, based on his "price checking device thingy" and sometimes he ask the manager to give the best price for me, ends up getting about 16-17% discount.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.