Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moebis

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Slovakia
Actually the problem is not with Transcend, it's with Apple for making the kext signing apply to only Apple labeled devices:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1807889/

We all should sign this petition:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1816557/

And as of right now, the best answer for those of us using third party SSDs is Cindori's TRIM Enabler.

Lou

Thanks Lou. I just submitted my feedback to Apple. FYI Cindori TRIM enabler brings up other issues, not least of which is OS upgrades which he warns about. The other kinds of issues I've had with it are sleep/wake not working properly, drive acting flakey, sometimes even slower then simple not enabling TRIM at all. If I had known that TRIM would break when I bought the Transcend drive I would have just bought a Samsung OEM drop in replacement on Ebay (costs twice as much, but Apple sees it as it's own supported drive).

jaspervank

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2015
Clone of old SSD necessary?

Does anybody know if it is necessary to first clone the old SSD before installing the new one? I can also imagine formatting the new SSD and doing a clean install of Yosemite (from USB)....

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Does anybody know if it is necessary to first clone the old SSD before installing the new one? I can also imagine formatting the new SSD and doing a clean install of Yosemite (from USB)....

If you don't need the data off the old one onto the new drive, there is no need to clone. You can just use the USB key installer to format the new drive and install the OS.

sjackson

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2014
Hi guys....

Have a mid-2012 MBA with the 128GB SSD running Yosemite. Considering buying the Transcend 480GB upgrade.

What exactly do I need to do to get this SSD running successfully with my MBA?
  1. Purchase TRIM Enabler and set it to enable TRIM?
  2. If so, at what stage do I install it? Do I install and set it before I copy data and swap out the SSD's?
  3. Is there anything else I need to do prior to transferring data and swapping SSDs?
  4. Do I install the Transcend utility?

Appreciate any info or links to posts that outline the exact steps to get this running. I'd prefer not make a mess of things.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^To answer your questions:

1. Yes, but don't enable TRIM until all applications and OS Updates are complete.

2. See answer above.

3. No, but the Transcend kit will include a neat external enclosure that will house your old internal drive.

4. No.

Lou

sjackson

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2014
^^^^To answer your questions:

1. Yes, but don't enable TRIM until all applications and OS Updates are complete.

2. See answer above.

3. No, but the Transcend kit will include a neat external enclosure that will house your old internal drive.

4. No.

Lou

Thank you kindly....

BluePhilG

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2010
Transcend folk, any news on a release for later Macbook Airs?
I'm wanting to upgrade my 2012 MBA11 but will want to fit a 1tb/960GB SSD...

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
So where ARE those SSD upgrades for the 2013 models and beyond???

I recall that almost a year ago now that Transcend had announced they would 'soon' be coming out with SSD upgrades compatible with 2013 MacBook airs and 2014 MacBook pro's.

So far, nothing, nada, zilch. What gives?

Have they been cancelled? If not, I'm starting to think by the time they actually do come out, that rather than even bothering with upgrading my current air, that I might end up just buying a new one.

>>> More troubling, it looks like Transcend hasn't responded to anything on this thread since Sept. 2014. Not very encouraging.

mafaky

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
Transcend now has the JetDrive Lite (the expansion card that goes into the SD Card reader slot...) in 256GB for all 13" MBAs (one model fits all) and for all 15" rMBPs (2 models according to different manufacturing years). :)

However they don't have any 256GB stuff for the 13" rMBPs.o_O

mafaky

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
Well, 2015 MBA is still a pretty fresh product. AFAIK, there are no third parties (OWC or Transcend) that have come up with any upgrade solution; in fact these aforementioned parties provide upgrades for late-2102 and early 2013 models (inc. rMBP family), but nothing for 2014 and for the even fresher 2015 ones.

However, if you search eBay, you will likely find original Apple PCIe based SSDs (which are actually manufactured by a Samsung subsidiary) being sold. These are parts removed from damaged, written-off (for some other reason than the SSD component...) but 100% tested and safe to use parts. Naturally you will find a lot of 128GB parts which may have been removed from upgraded machines. Some of these components will be fit for 2014/2015 models. But you have to check out for a while and be patient until you find the one that will suit you.

My humble advice is that you get a ordered to custom 2015 MBA, with 8GB RAM & 512GB SSD, though this will be a pretty expensive investment to begin with. You can add a Transcend Jet Drive Lite expansion card to get a further 256GB storage if your requirements will be fulfilled.

In my opinion 3rd Party SSD upgrades for 2014 MBAs and rMBPS may show up maybe in 2016 (from OWC and/or Transcend) but I'm not that optimistic for 2015 models: just keep in mind that Apple started using a new and much faster generation of PCIe based SSDs in 13" MBAs and all rMBPs for 2015. The third part manufacturers may not be able to cope up with the very same specs...:confused:

BluePhilG

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2010
Thanks for your reply, mafaky, but I upgraded my 2012 MBA from 512 to 960 and thats been the only thing holding me back from upgrading since late 2013. We've been waiting for the PCIe SSDs since the 2010-2012 SSD upgrades came out. Using a 512GB machine is not an option for me right now, hence my earlier, unanswered question to Transcend folks on here :)

mafaky

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
Thanks for your reply, mafaky, but I upgraded my 2012 MBA from 512 to 960 and thats been the only thing holding me back from upgrading since late 2013. We've been waiting for the PCIe SSDs since the 2010-2012 SSD upgrades came out. Using a 512GB machine is not an option for me right now, hence my earlier, unanswered question to Transcend folks on here :)

Well, in such case, try to hunt at eBay. This is what I just received after searching as "apple samsung pcie ssd"; but maybe you can try some other searching word combinations to get more results. But as you can see, there seems to be some 1TB (960GB) ones around for 2105 models (but make sure if they are for MBA 13" or not...) and actually these should be the ones you want. But the price they ask for is around USD 900...? Worth it?:confused:

Link:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=apple+samsung+pcie+ssd&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

Cheers.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
Could we get an update from Transcend man about 10.4.4 and the new TRIM support for third party drives? Are the current crop of Transcend SSD's ready to support this from the OS standpoint now? Should we use the Apple supplied enabler?

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
After upgrading to 10.10.4, (from Mavericks) does one need to DISABLE TRIM using the JETDRIVE tool box, or will it already be disabled, and/or does one use the toolbox to disable it again?

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^If JetDrive toolbox is working in 10.10.3, you need to disable Trim (and reenable kext signing) BEFORE updating to 10.10.4 or you may have trouble restarting. DO NOT use the JetDrive ToolBox after the update, use the new Trim command now available with 10.10.4.

Lou

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
^^^^If JetDrive toolbox is working in 10.10.3, you need to disable Trim (and reenable kext signing) BEFORE updating to 10.10.4 or you may have trouble restarting. DO NOT use the JetDrive ToolBox after the update, use the new Trim command now available with 10.10.4.

Lou

thanks, so just to clarify.. if one has upgrade from say Mavs (which had trim enabled for these drives) to 10.10.3, and now 10.10.4, should one go in and enable trim using the apple command or just leave it alone?

My transcend drive currently says in System report TRIM support - No

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.