Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
iPad 4 is running great on iOS 8. Was originally planning to upgrade but not sure, still love my 4. Flawless display, fantastic battery.

However I kind of do want to upgrade - but will only consider it if there are two gigs of RAM.

Knowing that the Air 3 will have the iPhone 6 form factor complicates things further though - I'd rather have that than the chamfered edge Air. But if I buy an Air 2, I won't upgrade next year when the redesigned Air comes out.

So, are you upgrading from your 4?

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
My 4 has been flawless, and I would not consider upgrading it but for one problem - it's 32GB and I really wish I had bought the 64GB version.
So yes, I will likely upgrade, but I'm not in a really big hurry. Perhaps it'll be a Christmas gift to me.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
iPad 1 here lol and no, I won't upgrade until next year, I'm really sure the 'iPad Air 3' will have the roundness seen on the iPhone 6 and that looks charming to me.

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I've been nothing but happy with my iPad 4 over the last two years. The A6X chip with it's quad-core graphics is still a beast and it even beats the A7 chip on some memory graphics benchmarks. It's running iOS 8 great and outside of the different case design, the iPad Air can't do anything the iPad 4 can't do. Even though, the A7 was a stronger chip, without Metal, there wasn't much point since the A6X could run anything without breaking a sweat.

However, I'm now thinking it could be time to upgrade. And the biggest thing I'm excited about is the possibility of a lower glare screen. I remember when I upgraded to the iPhone 5 from the 4S and to my Retina Macbook Pro from a Macbook Air. The lower glare was a huge bonus and it was something that you could appreciate on a daily basis. The iPad Air suffers as much as the older iPads from mirroring light which can make it difficult to read text. That was my biggest disappointment when it was announced. Just this morning I was griping in church to myself how, as I used my ipad as my bible, it was reflecting the very bright overhead lights so I had to adjust the angle to read the text.

Also, now that I have my iPhone 6, I'm really starting to appreciate the TouchID. It is so nice to sign into Amazon etc without having to type my password. I'd kinda like that on my iPad.

And I also have a sneaking suspicion that multi-windowed apps will be an Air 2 only option that requires an A8X + 2GB of memory. I don't think Apple will allow such a memory intensive option to run on older ipads. I kinda like to listen to Youtube video's while I surf the web on my ipad and it would great to be able to do this on one device as opposed to running down my iPhone battery to do it.

Yaboze

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2007
The Garden State
I love my 4, iOS 8 is running fine so far. I'm still holding on to it until a version of iOS cripples it (or is unavailable for it). My guess is 2 years tops.

deaglecat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
I am tempted for 2 reasons.

I like new shiny things (a lot).
My ipad4 would find a good home with my ipad1 rocking wife. :)

dantracht

Cancelled
Sep 19, 2013
I will upgrade if this supposed rumored 13" iPad appears, which I doubt. Otherwise, my venerable, iPad 4 will remain in service. I see no reason to upgrade.

----------

Besides, with my 6 Plus, I see even less of a reason to upgrade.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
I will upgrade if this supposed rumored 13" iPad appears, which I doubt. Otherwise, my venerable, iPad 4 will remain in service. I see no reason to upgrade.

----------

Besides, with my 6 Plus, I see even less of a reason to upgrade.

The large iPad will appear, just not as a replacement to the Air. It will be the third iPad product in the line. So it will be Mini, Air, Pro.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2011
iPad 4 owners - upgrading?

I kinda like to listen to Youtube video's while I surf the web on my ipad and it would great to be able to do this on one device as opposed to running down my iPhone battery to do it.

You know you can already do that, right?

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I have an iPad 1G, iPad Mini 2G, and coming soon a Note 4 too. If I wasn't happy with those devices I might upgrade. I have here an iPad 4G too. The new Air will be nice, thinner, but not necessary to upgrade at all.

triple-tap

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2013
I have my 64gb LTE iPad 4 listed on CL right now for $425. If I sell it before launch, I'll upgrade. If not, no worries. The iPad 4 is a great device (and IMHO a bit more durable than at least the current Gen iPad Air), and it will be fine for my needs at this time.

I also bought it as new-old stock this past January from macmall for a song ($479 at the time) and added the $99 applecare plus at that time. (so I still have ~1 yr 4 months of applecare plus left on the device).

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
What do you guys think a 64 gig black wifi ipad 4 is worth in immaculate condition with a perfectly applied powersupport crystal screen prtector from day one, and a nice rickshaw bags sleeve (sleeve was $40 new I believe)?

niewiesznic

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Internet
I am using 64GB iPad 4 cellular, and I love it, even under iOS 8 (bugs, bugs, bugs). If I could afford it I would consider buying new iPad Air only if it would have 2GB of RAM or more. :)
I hope it would not bend as iPhone 6+! :p

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
And I also have a sneaking suspicion that multi-windowed apps will be an Air 2 only option that requires an A8X + 2GB of memory. I don't think Apple will allow such a memory intensive option to run on older ipads. I kinda like to listen to Youtube video's while I surf the web on my ipad and it would great to be able to do this on one device as opposed to running down my iPhone battery to do it.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mctube-for-youtube/id652124176?mt=8

Try this, you don't need a second device.

Ev0d3vil

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2014
I am using 64GB iPad 4 cellular, and I love it, even under iOS 8 (bugs, bugs, bugs). If I could afford it I would consider buying new iPad Air only if it would have 2GB of RAM or more. :)
I hope it would not bend as iPhone 6+! :p

Same. My only grouch is that certain websites, Safari crash all the time and the tab refreshes i get when opening a couple of apps.. I'm on the same specs as you, ipad 4 and 64gb cellular.

pete480

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
Long Island, NY
My 4th gen is probably one of my most used devices. Still going strong after 2 years except it is a little laggy at time after installing ios8. I'll wait to see what they do with the iPad this year before making a decision. I'd also love 128GB. My 4th is 64.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
My 4 has been flawless, and I would not consider upgrading it but for one problem - it's 32GB and I really wish I had bought the 64GB version.
So yes, I will likely upgrade, but I'm not in a really big hurry. Perhaps it'll be a Christmas gift to me.

Exact same situation here. Perfect 32GB, 4th Gen in white (that replaced our 3rd gen...) I’d like more storage, especially for road trips. If we also get TouchID, better SOC, a good bit lighter, improved display tech, and 2GB RAM that’s a lots of icing on the cake :D

We’ll probably just donate our existing iPad to my folks anyway, so it’s good for everybody :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.