Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krypticos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
A friend is willing to gave me some 533mhz ddr2 fb-ecc ram for the mac pro i just purchased but i wasnt sure if it would work. i would test it but havent got the mac pro yet in the mail.

thanks for your time

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
A friend is willing to gave me some 533mhz ddr2 fb-ecc ram for the mac pro i just purchased but i wasnt sure if it would work. i would test it but havent got the mac pro yet in the mail.

thanks for your time

I am all but an expert but they say that lower frequency RAM can be used where higher frequency RAM is recommended.
Still I would keep an eye on it. I bought once a 667 MHz DIM with the proper heat sink for a MP 1.1, which was reported by the initial self test as faulty. However it did not cause any harm. I simply removed it.
If your DIMs do not have the heat sink, then even more caution should be paid to check that they do not get too hot.

krypticos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
I figured instead of making a new thread i would just post it in here.

i was wanting to know if THIS Hynix ram would work with my mac pro 1,1/2,1

Machines

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2015
Fox River Valley , Illinois

thanks for your time

Recommended memory for the Mac Pro 1,1 (2006) would be 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM , re-certified enterprise grade (Samsung, Nanya, Micron , Hynix ) .

32GB (8 X 4GB) 667 MHz kits cost around 65 USD , eBay .

800 MHz will work , but too expensive .

533 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM should work , as the frequency should not be an issue . Other factors are important (DDR2, fully buffered , 1.8 v , 240 connector pins, etc.)

If anything, the slower memory will help to cool things a bit as ram in these models gets hot .

The fancy , huge , Apple Qualified Heat Spreaders don't do much to cool things ...

Grab a copy of Memtest for Mac and do your own recertification . Check for ECC errors in the memory section of system profile after the test is done, too .

Do not accept any modules that cause a red light on the risers . Good luck !

----------

should work , but I would grab a 32GB kit for just a little bit more money

----------

grab two sets of these , for a total of 8 modules for 70 USD :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NANYA-16GB-...232?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a03cb1f8

krypticos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Thank you so much for the info.

Recommended memory for the Mac Pro 1,1 (2006) would be 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM , re-certified enterprise grade (Samsung, Nanya, Micron , Hynix ) .

32GB (8 X 4GB) 667 MHz kits cost around 65 USD , eBay .

800 MHz will work , but too expensive .

533 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM should work , as the frequency should not be an issue . Other factors are important (DDR2, fully buffered , 1.8 v , 240 connector pins, etc.)

If anything, the slower memory will help to cool things a bit as ram in these models gets hot .

The fancy , huge , Apple Qualified Heat Spreaders don't do much to cool things ...

Grab a copy of Memtest for Mac and do your own recertification . Check for ECC errors in the memory section of system profile after the test is done, too .

Do not accept any modules that cause a red light on the risers . Good luck !

----------

should work , but I would grab a 32GB kit for just a little bit more money

----------

grab two sets of these , for a total of 8 modules for 70 USD :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NANYA-16GB-...232?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a03cb1f8

westrock2000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
I bought used server memory off ebay for $10 and it's not given me any problems yet.

I transferred the heatsinks from my stock memory modules, but you can also buy china ones on ebay as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.