Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dtlam76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2015
Specifications:
Mac book Air : 13 inch early 2014
Processor: 1.4 GHZ intel Core i5
Graphics Card: Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB
RAM : 4 GB
Model: A1466
HD: 128 GB SSD

Issue: My buddy advised that he spilled coffee on his mac book air keyboard. Some of the keys work and some don't. Plugged in a usb keyboard and was able to browse and use the machine like normal. Just purchased a top case to replace it from ifixit to swap it out.

My question is when I reboot the machine I get a strange flickering like the video card is going bad. Ironically when it boots up regular and safe mode it' works fine.

Any ideas on what might cause this? And can you replace the video card on this macbook air or is it integrated into the motherboard? any help would be greatly appreciated.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Specifications:
Mac book Air : 13 inch early 2014
Processor: 1.4 GHZ intel Core i5
Graphics Card: Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB
RAM : 4 GB
Model: A1466
HD: 128 GB SSD

Issue: My buddy advised that he spilled coffee on his mac book air keyboard. Some of the keys work and some don't. Plugged in a usb keyboard and was able to browse and use the machine like normal. Just purchased a top case to replace it from ifixit to swap it out.

My question is when I reboot the machine I get a strange flickering like the video card is going bad. Ironically when it boots up regular and safe mode it' works fine.

Any ideas on what might cause this? And can you replace the video card on this macbook air or is it integrated into the motherboard? any help would be greatly appreciated.

The video "card" is built into the processor chip so that's certainly not going bad. But there might be something wrong in between the processor and the pixels on the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.