Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bern.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2015
I am trying to install an open source program on my macbook. I have successfully done 'cmake', but am now finding issues when I try to 'make'. The program I'm trying to install is called pfstools and relies on many libraries, one of which is ImageMagick. Below is my 'make', of which I have highlighted my problems (code goes off the page, please scroll right). My knowledge of programming is minimal and any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Code:
$ make
Scanning dependencies of target pfs
[  1%] Building CXX object src/pfs/CMakeFiles/pfs.dir/colorspace.cpp.o
[  2%] Building CXX object src/pfs/CMakeFiles/pfs.dir/pfs.cpp.o
[  3%] Building CXX object src/pfs/CMakeFiles/pfs.dir/pfsutils.cpp.o
Linking CXX static library libpfs.a
[  3%] Built target pfs
Scanning dependencies of target pfsinexr
[  4%] Building CXX object src/fileformat/CMakeFiles/pfsinexr.dir/pfsinexr.cpp.o
Linking CXX executable pfsinexr
[  4%] Built target pfsinexr
Scanning dependencies of target pfsinimgmagick
[  5%] Building CXX object src/fileformat/CMakeFiles/pfsinimgmagick.dir/pfsinimgmagick.cpp.o
In file included from /usr/local/Cellar/imagemagick/6.9.0-3/include/ImageMagick-6/Magick++/Include.h:14:0,
                 from /usr/local/Cellar/imagemagick/6.9.0-3/include/ImageMagick-6/Magick++.h:10,
                 from /Users/kate/Documents/pfstools/pfstools-2.0.0/src/fileformat/pfsinimgmagick.cpp:29:
/usr/local/Cellar/imagemagick/6.9.0-3/include/ImageMagick-6/magick/magick-config.h:29:3: warning: [COLOR="Red"]#warning "you should set MAGICKCORE_QUANTUM_DEPTH to sensible default set it to configure time default" [-Wcpp][/COLOR]
/usr/local/Cellar/imagemagick/6.9.0-3/include/ImageMagick-6/magick/magick-config.h:30:3: warning: [COLOR="red"]#warning "this is an obsolete behavior please fix your makefile" [-Wcpp][/COLOR]
/usr/local/Cellar/imagemagick/6.9.0-3/include/ImageMagick-6/magick/magick-config.h:52:3: warning: [COLOR="red"]#warning "you should set MAGICKCORE_HDRI_ENABLE to sensible default set it to configure time default" [-Wcpp][/COLOR]
/usr/local/Cellar/imagemagick/6.9.0-3/include/ImageMagick-6/magick/magick-config.h:53:3: warning: [COLOR="red"]#warning "this is an obsolete behavior please fix yours makefile" [-Wcpp][/COLOR]
Linking CXX executable pfsinimgmagick
[COLOR="red"]Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
  "Magick::Image::Image(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)", referenced from:
      readFrames(int, char**) in pfsinimgmagick.cpp.o
ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [src/fileformat/pfsinimgmagick] Error 1
make[1]: *** [src/fileformat/CMakeFiles/pfsinimgmagick.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2[/COLOR]

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
It looks like the source code uses cmake. It's also pulling headers from your system, causing these build failures. Is it possible for you to set the ImageMagick used to the one installed?

Bern.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2015
Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure how to do what you say. Also, ImageMagick was recognised in my 'cmake' which completed fine.

I have made slight progress though. Here is what I did:

Code:
pkg-config --libs --cflags ImageMagick
-DMAGICKCORE_HDRI_ENABLE=0 -DMAGICKCORE_QUANTUM_DEPTH=16 -I/opt/local/include/
ImageMagick-6 -L/opt/local/lib -lMagickCore-6.Q16

And then when I did my 'make' I got the following results:

Code:
make
[  3%] Built target pfs
[  4%] Built target pfsinexr
Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
  "Magick::Image::Image(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::
allocator<char> > const&)", referenced from:
      readFrames(int, char**) in pfsinimgmagick.cpp.o
ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [src/fileformat/pfsinimgmagick] Error 1
make[1]: *** [src/fileformat/CMakeFiles/pfsinimgmagick.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

So my issues with quantum depth and HDRI enable have been fixed, but I still have issues with architecture x86_64. However, this only worked once I uninstalled ImageMagick with brew and reinstalled it using MacPorts. Can you help?

Last edited:

NinjaG

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2015
I'm having the exact same issue. I also tried using the cmake flag
-DCMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES=x86_64
but I still get the same error.

Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:

Did anyone manage to figure this out??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.