Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Yes, and the person I was replying to said that copyright should only last for 10 years.

If a person creates and original work, then they own it. They should continue to own it until they die, then it should become public domain.

i spent the last two years writing a book. My wife had to work two jobs to keep the family alive, because I had no income. The book company tells me they will sell millions, due to my enormous talent, so all the hard work will pay off. Just before it is released, I'm hit by a bus.

Now give me a reasonable argument why my family should starve.

Give me a reasonable argument why this woman's http://www.people.com/article/86-woman-romance-novel-author book should have a much shorter copyright duration than that of a younger author.

Copyright should last for the lifespan of the author... At least.

Personally, I cannot see why the copyright duration should have anything to do with the lifespan of an author. As an example, I just recently read about a book that was half finished when the author found out that his throat cancer had returned, and he found someone else to complete it. So how long should the copyright be if the guy dies (and I sincerely hope he doesn't), with two authors? And why should his family get extra punishment on top by having their income disappear at a time when they need it most?

I'd say the only reasonable thing is time of publication, plus X years, and we can argue all day long what the number X should be. If Steve Jobs had written his own biography, why should the copyright run out before Isaacson's Jobs biography? If they were published on the same day, copyright should run out on the same day.

Last edited:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Seems confusing to say the least..

First, how do they know whats been streamed since it's probably not been well tracked.. so how do you determine damages.

Second, Music prior to 1972, ummm who's alive still is probably still small.. so the question is, who has 'rights'? and since when are those rights indefinite? :rolleyes:

Who has the rights? Well, Tolkien died a while ago so I guess it's time we dissolved his estate and put all his work in public domain? Not really how it works :)
All creative content rights get passed down, either automatically or can be sold on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.