Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surfheart

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2010
My pleasure, and now I know why you are having such a performance disparity. Unfortunately the drivers for those D700's are...ahem...lacking :/ To be fair, they werent designed for gaming and as such the software support wont be either...but still.

That's a shame, but isn't that the case across the board for GPUs under OS X?

I've owned a lot of macs over the years and gaming performance has always been better under windows on them.

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
That's a shame, but isn't that the case across the board for GPUs under OS X?

I've owned a lot of macs over the years and gaming performance has always been better under windows on them.

Not far from the truth, and its why so few optimize well on OSX (namely us and Feral), because its really really hard. That said, the D series cards in your rig are particularly troublesome. We have issues on just about every title we do, whereas the consumer class mobile GPUs in the iMacs run quite well.

Surfheart

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2010
Not far from the truth, and its why so few optimize well on OSX (namely us and Feral), because its really really hard. That said, the D series cards in your rig are particularly troublesome. We have issues on just about every title we do, whereas the consumer class mobile GPUs in the iMacs run quite well.

That's terrible for Apple's flagship system. Most of the mobile GPUs are Nvidia correct? So this lies at AMD's feet?

I assume that issues in the driver that affect game performance would also cause issues for generic openGL performance too?

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
That's terrible for Apple's flagship system. Most of the mobile GPUs are Nvidia correct? So this lies at AMD's feet?

I assume that issues in the driver that affect game performance would also cause issues for generic openGL performance too?

Well, if you go back a couple of years to the AMD chipsets in iMacs, those performed extremely well. So its sort of specific to the D class cards in your Mac Pro. Again, its a bit unfair because we are talking about a machine specifically designed for work. Driver support for more "play" will come, but my guess is it wasnt a priority at launch.

So it kinda lies at everyone's feet. Game developers, AMD, and of course Apple as they control the driver distribution for their platform.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.