Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyMan420

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2012
Hey folks, having a bit of an issue with my 16GB iPhone 4s. I recently had to delete some photos because of space issue on my phone. The rest of the photos I uploaded to my mac and got rid of them from my phone. Only thing is it still says I have no space on my phone even on iTunes it is saying it is full. Says I have 7.4GB of photos. Any suggestions? I restarted my phone a few times and that didn't work. I really am not sure what it is. Is it an app that I'm forgetting about?

Thanks in advance for the help!

utahman130

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2012
May have to restore..... Hard reset the phone then wait for a day and see what happens.

HappyMan420

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2012
Hard reset didn't do anything. And when I took a picture it was just normal. If I restore my phone through iTunes will I lose all my apps, photos, music, etc?

Amidry

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2012
Resolved

I had the same problem this is how I fixed it.

On the iphone there is an icon with a sunflower that says Photos, click on it.

Inside this folder there are albums Camera roll and Photo stream

Camera roll is the one you usually see when you open your photos.

However apparently photo steam keeps these photos after you delete them, or either itunes has synced them there.

It doesn't let you delete them from there.

So connect your phone to a computer and open itunes

Click on your iphone device

Click on photos at the top.

There could be another way, but to delete those photos from my phone I unchecked the sync button at the top and then clicked the apply button at the bottom.

The photos from photo stream are now deleted.

P1P1

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2014
Your photos haven't been fully deleted

When you are viewing your photo's under photos it might appear the there is nothing in there, however if you click on albums along the bottom there will be a folder titled Recently Deleted. Click on that folder and select the photos in there that you wish to permanently delete and delete them. Tadaa! all done and now you have memory on your phone again

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
Hey folks, having a bit of an issue with my 16GB iPhone 4s. I recently had to delete some photos because of space issue on my phone. The rest of the photos I uploaded to my mac and got rid of them from my phone. Only thing is it still says I have no space on my phone even on iTunes it is saying it is full. Says I have 7.4GB of photos. Any suggestions? I restarted my phone a few times and that didn't work. I really am not sure what it is. Is it an app that I'm forgetting about?

Thanks in advance for the help!

what does the phone say?
go to settings , general , usage, photos and camera
here you will see photo library, synced photos, photo stream, shared photo stream

if those are all under 7 gigs and iTunes is saying you have 7 gigs of photos
, its probably iTunes just saying that it wants to dump those photos on your phone when you click on sync / apply.

try going to the phone in iTunes, click on the photos tab, and tell it not to sync photos from iPhotos and i bet that 7.4 gb feature will go down

if this was a problem that needed your iPhone restored, i think iTunes would of reported 7 gb of other.

I've connected my iPad all the time and it said i was over capacity. when i was not. it was just over capacity if i tried to click on sync

P1P1

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2014
On your phone - Click on photos, then albums, then deleted albums, then select all your photos and delete them permenantly

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
well i replied to it, because i still see this issue today. iTunes will say you have too many pictures or you are over capacity, and you are not. because you didn't actually click apply.

maybe the old 2012 post will help in a search

so there

4runnerman

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2014
I have had the same problem. The issue is in the iCloud storage settings. If you turn off iCloud backup for pictures, it will fix your problem.

Buckedx3

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2014
I am having the same issue still with my iPhone 5c.
I have 796 photos, 127 videos. When I go to my About section in setting it says i have 194 videos and 2,334 photos. I have deleted everything including my photo stream and my deleted photos. I have also hard reset my phone and unchecked the sync all photos tab in my iTunes. Any other ideas??

debaser2

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2014
I'm having the same problem. I deleted every single photo in my Photos app on the Camera Roll, Stream, etc yet iTunes says I have 1,266 photos using 7.45GB on my phone... I went into settings and turned off the iCloud backup.

suefracc

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2015
iPhone 5c Still Having the Photo Issue

Hi,

I've done everything I can think of...iTunes and my Usage screen on my iPhone claim I have 3.0 gigs of photos (437) on my phone, and I cleared out everything but about 50 small rez photos--no videos, and I removed any photo apps I had (Cam Wow, etc.). Nothing left in Deleted Photos.

I backed up and restored my iPhone entirely. Tried synching photos to an empty folder. I do not use iCloud, nor am I signed into it.

The only thing I can think that I may have done wrong, is after backing up my photos from my phone to my computer, I used Windows Explorer to delete the photos from my iphone instead of using the Delete button on my iPhone itself within the Camera roll. Would that do it? Do I need to delete the folders shown in Windows Explorer under Internal Storage | DCIM if they are empty?

This is really frustrating! I've been reading post after post about this, and no one seems to have the answer. I'll keep looking.

Help!

Inspector 24

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2015
Hi,

I've done everything I can think of...iTunes and my Usage screen on my iPhone claim I have 3.0 gigs of photos (437) on my phone, and I cleared out everything but about 50 small rez photos--no videos, and I removed any photo apps I had (Cam Wow, etc.). Nothing left in Deleted Photos.

I backed up and restored my iPhone entirely. Tried synching photos to an empty folder. I do not use iCloud, nor am I signed into it.

This is really frustrating! I've been reading post after post about this, and no one seems to have the answer. I'll keep looking.

Help!

Exact same scenario here. iPhone 5, no iCloud, deleted photos deleted, phone shows 180photos iTunes shows 400, and I was prevented from taking more pictures because the phone said it was out of space.

I've tried multiple syncs. Multiple backups. Restored it once. Multiple hard resets.

What's next to try??

suefracc

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2015
Still Having This Problem (iTunes/Phone reporting more photos than there are)

This is SO FRUSTRATING!!

Does anyone have an answer for this? I've done everything listed in this forum and then some...still iTunes shows me using 3GB for photo storage (537 photos), when I only have about 20 photos on my phone. No videos, iCloud is OFF.

How can I reclaim this space?

suefracc

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2015
Hi!

Found a solution to my issue!

See the last entry in this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/27595541?ac_cid=tw123456#27595541

Once I downloaded the small program, iFunBox (deemed safe by Norton), I was able to view the "fragments" if my deleted photos. Reclaimed 3gb of space!

iTunes still reports 531 photos, so Apple still has an issue to fix with their iOS, but at least ny phone has room now!

Seems to be LOTS of people with this issue, since iOS 7...c'mon Apple! Let's get this fixed!

Good luck!

jfenow

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2015
I just had this issue myself. I think it's old photos in Photo Stream that are somehow left on the device. I figured this must be it because after deleting all my photos in Camera Roll, the count still showed the exact same amount as what I had in Photo Stream. This is the solution I found to clear the pictures off the device and get your space back (mine is an iPhone but the process would be the same for an iPod Touch or iPad). PLEASE NOTE: THIS PROCESS WILL DELETE ALL YOUR PHOTOS FROM YOUR PHOTO STREAM. So if you want to keep them, make sure to download them to a separate file on your computer before proceeding.

1) Go to Settings>Photos & Camera> Turn on iCloud Photo Library (if it's already on, go to next step).

2) Plug your device into your computer and go to "iCloud.com" and sign in with your iCloud ID and password. When the page loads, click on Photos (it will look the same as the app on your device). Wait for the photos to load. Once loaded, delete them all. (You can highlight them and delete them all in one shot.) When they are deleted, unplug your device and go to the next step. (If there are no photos and none have downloaded, go on to next step.)

3) Go to Settings>iCloud>Photos. Turn off My Photo Stream then turn back on (or turn it on if it is already off) and let all the photos in Photo Stream load (it may take a while, and even if you hadn't been using My Photo Stream, it may pick up some old ones and put them back). When they're loaded, delete them all. (You can turn off Photo Stream at this point if you don't want to use it).

Now if you go to Settings>General>About, the photo count should show only what you have in your Cameral Roll (zero if you have no pictures on the device at all).

I also went this extra step below to disable iCloud Photo Library. I don't think this should have an effect on showing the right count (I forgot to check the count before I went ahead with this step, so I'm not sure) but if the count is still wrong, try this step as well:

Go to Settings>iCloud>Storage>Manage Storage>iCloud Photo Library>Disable and Delete

Hope this works for you too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.