Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Noojin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2010
Hello,

I feel like upgrading my 2010 Mid Macbook Pro to a current version of Macbook Pro retina Display. I am thinking about buying one when it is refreshed (in the next few months or so).

Specs:
Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256MB
Main HD Slot: 256 GB Crucial SSD
Opti Bay Slot: Toshiba 250 GB HDD

As for the newer Retina Macbook pros, It seems like they can't support Dual Disk Drives and parts are not interchangeable (sad face). The graphics cards on them is intel iris graphics and I was wondering how it handles for League of Legends/ CS Go/ and Hearthstone.

But what do you guys think how much I should sell my model? Also, are the newer models still worth it with the upgraded specs I have?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), and Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what a reasonable price may be. Don't check just once source, but get an average from all sites for a more accurate idea. Some sites may be higher/lower than is realistic. Then adjust the price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc. If the model is recent enough, you can also check the Apple refurbished store to see what similar models are selling for.

GeoFan49

macrumors member
EBAY sold listings

You can (fairly easily, with some practice) determine the Median Selling Price on Ebay for the past 90 days for just about anything you want. Note: SOLD is better than using COMPLETED listings.

Do your search for any specific model.

On the ebay left side-bar...

Show only... SOLD listings...

Sort by PRICE...

Note the number of RESULTS...

Scroll or page to the MIDDLE of the range....

PRESTO! MEDIAN selling price!

When there are a few thousand sales (such as a 16 GB iPad 1 wi-fi) within three months, your median selling price on Ebay is a very good indication of a fair market price.

You may have to login to get all these features on Ebay.

Last edited:

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
It's worth whatever you can get someone to pay for it. Look at the sources mentioned to get a starting point and give it a try. If you don't get any bites, lower it. Rinse and repeat until you get interest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.