Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tj38marlow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2015
UK
Am I right in thinking - in the UK - if I get an AExtreme - I will still need my BT hub 5 and link them up....

So how can the performance increase if Im still deendent on the BT router element?

Last edited:

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
You can connect any suitable modem to an Airport Extreme.

I, for example, have a Draytek Vigor 120 ADSL2+ Ethernet modem sitting between my Airport Extreme and my BT phone line. The combination works very reliably.

tj38marlow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2015
UK
Airport Extreme and BT Hub 5

You can connect any suitable modem to an Airport Extreme.

I, for example, have a Draytek Vigor 120 ADSL2+ Ethernet modem sitting between my Airport Extreme and my BT phone line. The combination works very reliably.

Would you say you get the best of Bth - are you on infinity 2? - any difference before after AE?

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
Would you say you get the best of Bth - are you on infinity 2? - any difference before after AE?

Don't have fibre to my house, so no BT Infinity. ADSL only here.

My house was a graveyard of unreliable Netgear and Belkin routers before I got the Airport Extreme a couple of years ago. It's been rock solid.

regor

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2015
UK, WEST YORKSHIRE
I have had a HH5 since having Infinity for 12 months. The issue i had was the HH5 was great at first, on the ethernet and wifi connection, speeds of 70 mb. The problem i had was the HH5 would NOT hold the Airplay connection for longer than one day. I stream my iTunes music from my iMac in the study to my HiFi and into the conservatory.
With the HH5 I tried various options such as Port Forwarding to overcome the problem. All to no avail.
I purchased an Airport Extreme base station, which has NOT dropped the Airplay connection once, it is rock solid. The outstanding issue is that the wifi speed has dropped to 30mb max.
The HH5 is connected to the AEBS by Cat6 cable, with the AEBS in Bridge mode. I have been talking to Apple support and they say there is no reason why there should be should a "big" drop in speed from the previous set up. I have the correct set up from their side. To date awaiting a reply from BT on why there should be a 50% drop in wifi speed than before.
Suspect the usual reply from BT "we don't support third party equipment", so not hopeful of a positive solution.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
I have had a HH5 since having Infinity for 12 months. To date awaiting a reply from BT on why there should be a 50% drop in wifi speed than before.
Suspect the usual reply from BT "we don't support third party equipment", so not hopeful of a positive solution.

Have you tried running the HH5 as just a modem (may not be possible) and do the routing + wifi with the AE ?

regor

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2015
UK, WEST YORKSHIRE
Have you tried running the HH5 as just a modem (may not be possible) and do the routing + wifi with the AE ?

I have the wifi turned off on the HH5. Wifi from the AE. I am getting an old Openreach Modem shortly to replace the HH5 as i am told by a (Virgin Engenineer) the HH5 could well be the problem. The HH5 works well with a Virgin Super Hub and drop off of wfi speed.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.