Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-Ray-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2011
Pennsylvania
I bought the mac mini 2014 base model for my kids today. The think seems very sluggish with doing basic multi tasking.

Im thinking that upgrading the ssd may have an increase in the performance. I couldn't find any information regarding this and wanted to get some feedback.

If i do decide to go this route what would be the requirements for the ssd. I keep reading that the new mini uses pcie but I'm not sure if the regular drive uses sata or not. A regular ssd would be sufficient.

Any insights?

Thanks

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Eh - the "base model" mini does not have an SSD, but a (slow) hard drive.
The hard drive can be replaced by an SSD (standard 2.5-inch SATA SSD), which would be a significant upgrade.
Or, you could install a PCIe flash SSD, which is faster than the SATA SSD.
You would have to add the connector cable for that flash storage, but it's worth the effort, I think.
Here's one source for the correct PCIe blade cable. http://www.applecomponents.com/item...1?pn=10&cat=Service Parts: Cables&per_page=30

-Ray-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2011
Pennsylvania
I did the upgrade. Went with a standard sata drive. Didn't see the point with the piec as it is a base system anyway.

Improvements are dramatic. Huge upgrade from the old 80/mb read /right. Running around 550 on each now.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Awesome! Congratulations on the upgrade. The machine should serve you nicely now. What drive did you go with?

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I did the upgrade. Went with a standard sata drive. Didn't see the point with the piec as it is a base system anyway.

Improvements are dramatic. Huge upgrade from the old 80/mb read /right. Running around 550 on each now.
Congrats and enjoy!:)

Only :apple: knows why they are still selling desktops (Mac mini, imac) with hdds in 2015. :confused:

-Ray-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2011
Pennsylvania
Congrats and enjoy!:)

Only :apple: knows why they are still selling desktops (Mac mini, imac) with hdds in 2015. :confused:

It wasn't that bad actually. The hardest part was finding a T6 Torex Security Driver. After searching various stores, I found one at an Autozone.

After that, I followed a youtube video. Pretty straight forward. I have experience upgrading the 2012 model.

The mini with the SSD isn't actually that bad. Its pretty responsive now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.