Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tuna

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
I use mainly a 2011 Macbook Air (Core i5) and a late 2011 Macbook Pro 17" (i7). I work in an office where all ~25 of use use various Macs. A few months ago Chrome started to make my Macbook Air run unbearably slow. Going to the same websites in Firefox or Safari was fine. The performance problems only happened in Chrome. Going into Activity Monitor, hundreds of percent of processor capacity are being used by Chrome related tasks almost whenever its open.

At first I thought maybe the Air was just getting too dated (although performance was fine with other browsers) or maybe that there was some sort of corruption with the Chrome install. I tried following instructions to completely remove every trace of Chrome then reinstall and that didn't help. I've been putting off doing a complete reformat to test that but now I'm thinking that it might be a big waste of effort.

Even my 17" i7 Pro is starting to have problems when certain websites are open in Chrome. The fans stay on sometimes with only Chrome running and scrolling some pages is choppy, things that never used to happen. Chrome performance appears to be getting worse so that even a 17" i7 isn't able to handle it.

I've been hearing similar complaints from across my office from people using Macs as fast as slim 27" iMacs and newer 13" retina MBPs. Chrome has gotten unbearably slow for all of us over the past couple months.

Has anyone else observed this? Anyone know what is going on besides Chrome possibly just being bloated or having bugs?

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
The only thing I notice is that when Chrome is running (and very often when playing a video in it) swiping between desktops and apps and be jerky even if I'm not swiping to Google Chrome. If I quit Chrome the issue instantly disappears, but that's been this for about six months.

mrtravel123

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
Chrome has been awful over the past month. Prior to this.... it was perfect.

It stutters, lags, etc. Going "back" a page, clicking on links, scrolling up or down pages, trying to get a Youtube video to stop, etc. There is a big lag with several things now. It isn't my internet connection, as Safari has no problems... and I have a very fast internet connection.

I've tried various fixes for known Chrome slowness issues. Nothing has worked. I've even tried a fresh install of Chrome and my OS.

Safari flies, but Chrome has been awful. This is entirely new for me.

I have a 13" retina MBP that's about a year old.

dan1eln1el5en

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
same here.
Girlfriend is logged in, I log in as myself, she uses Chrome and I dont.
in a few minutes "Chrome Helper" in her username starts going +100%
when I do development work using Chrome myself for hours it doesn't do it, it seems to be the idle users helper doing this (It happened when I was idle and she was active on the computer, she is just not annoyed by it as she is on a very noisy Lenovo usually)

busycharlie

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
Google Chrome Helper

same here.
Girlfriend is logged in, I log in as myself, she uses Chrome and I dont.
in a few minutes "Chrome Helper" in her username starts going +100%
when I do development work using Chrome myself for hours it doesn't do it, it seems to be the idle users helper doing this (It happened when I was idle and she was active on the computer, she is just not annoyed by it as she is on a very noisy Lenovo usually)

What exactly is Google Chrome Helper? I notice this on my activity monitor and uses a lot of CPU%. It's even listed quite a few times. Is there a way to stop this so it doesn't show in the Activity Monitor. Thanks in advance.

alan63

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2014
Bangkok
What exactly is Google Chrome Helper? I notice this on my activity monitor and uses a lot of CPU%. It's even listed quite a few times. Is there a way to stop this so it doesn't show in the Activity Monitor. Thanks in advance.

and ,why it install google updater and some other app that connect to internet (i have warning from little snitch) i'm not comfortable with app who install other things that i don't know

Last edited:

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2011
I posted a similar thread about my early 2011 MBP, having been forced onto Chrome by Google, because they don't support Safari 5.1.10 anymore, and won't show the correct Google page on it, and I also said Chrome was slow. Are you still on Snow Leopard also?

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2011
Opera is your friend :)

that's one I looked at as well, didn't like it, I also saw something on a review about something called 'off road' mode on Opera. It was nowhere to be seen when I downloaded it. Why is it so good?

alan63

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2014
Bangkok
Opera is your friend :)

Fast and easy browser
some minor problem version 28
but same Google Chrome helper , Opera Helper eating a lot of memory available...
Chrome and Opera are memory eater
Go back Safari and Firefox

Last edited:

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Chrome is a memory hog.
bhfYx6R.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.