Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
I discovered the same thing when I got one of the first DUO x2 cards sold. I also had issues with the Solo x2 and my original eSATA card ... probable multiple controller issues.

Apricorn Tech Support said that the Velocity x1 works fine with the Duo x2. Different controller in the x1.

Lou

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Thanks for the feedback from the Apricorn techies Lou!

I received a second DUO x2 which I still have to test with my current one installed. Reading your info's will lead to a no-go install of both DUO x2's?!

Keep you posted...

fungus

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2008
@unclefungus
...I received a second DUO x2 which I still have to test with my current one installed. Reading your info's will lead to a no-go install of both DUO x2's?!

Keep you posted...

Two Duo X2s working here. I had the boot problem with a new Duo and older Solo X2 and was also told by Apricorn that it was due to the different controllers. I have 3 SSDs I wanted to get out of my sleds, so I ended up getting another Duo with the Amazon deal + rebate. Guess now I need to get another SSD to fill that empty spot :) Solo X2 is now heading to eBay...

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Two Duo X2s working here. I had the boot problem with a new Duo and older Solo X2 and was also told by Apricorn that it was due to the different controllers. I have 3 SSDs I wanted to get out of my sleds, so I ended up getting another Duo with the Amazon deal + rebate. Guess now I need to get another SSD to fill that empty spot :) Solo X2 is now heading to eBay...

Thanks for your reply and info's! Glad to know yours are shining... :cool:

Cheers

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
I received my Velocity Dou x2 and it works as expected EXCEPT, and this is a BIG EXCEPT. My Velocity Solo x2 will not boot when the Duo is installed, pull the duo out and the Solo boots fine. The drive in the Solo shows up fine on the DeskTop, and works fine, but it just won't boot.

I talked to Apricorn Tech Support, and they have duplicated the issue and they believe it's because the Marvel controllers don't work well together. Not sure what I'm going to do at this point.

I've been working with the Apricorn folks since early in the year. They duplicated the problem and came up with a firmware fix, that solved the issue. Both the Solo x1 and x2 coexisted, but being the fool that I am, I got a second Duo bought another SSD, this time a 512GB 840 Pro and I'm now running 4 SSDs (1 original Series 840, 2 840 EVOs and the 840 Pro) along with my 3 Internal HDDs and a 3.5" Seagate internal SSHD. And, of course, 2 optical drives. Wow, 10 drives inside my Tower. Try that in a nMP.

I gave both my external drives the boot. Packed 'em away for a rainy day.

The Apricorn folks were GREAT to WORK with, and I thank them for their efforts in helping me solve my problem.

Lou

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
I've been working with the Apricorn folks since early in the year. They duplicated the problem and came up with a firmware fix, that solved the issue. Both the Solo x1 and x2 coexisted, but being the fool that I am, I got a second Duo bought another SSD, this time a 512GB 840 Pro and I'm now running 4 SSDs (1 original Series 840, 2 840 EVOs and the 840 Pro) along with my 3 Internal HDDs and a 3.5" Seagate internal SSHD. And, of course, 2 optical drives. Wow, 10 drives inside my Tower. Try that in a nMP.

I gave both my external drives the boot. Packed 'em away for a rainy day.

The Apricorn folks were GREAT to WORK with, and I thank them for their efforts in helping me solve my problem.

Lou

Great TEAMWORK! Thanks for your feedback and info's about the FW fix.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
Thanks to the participants on this thread my 2012 MP now has an Apricorn Velocity DUO double booting Yosemite and Windows 8.1. Each is on a 960GB Crucial M500 SSD. This is truly Mac Pro Heaven.

The instructions to install windows via a regular SATA port, then boot Windows via SATA with the Velo DUO installed so the driver is installed proved to just what I needed. Thanks again.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Thanks to the participants on this thread my 2012 MP now has an Apricorn Velocity DUO double booting Yosemite and Windows 8.1. Each is on a 960GB Crucial M500 SSD. This is truly Mac Pro Heaven.

The instructions to install windows via a regular SATA port, then boot Windows via SATA with the Velo DUO installed so the driver is installed proved to just what I needed. Thanks again.

YMW!

Congrats on your purchase and your Mac Pro Heaven!

Cheers...

sidstation

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2015
Hi,
Newcomer here and complete noob.
Need for speed to stream huge audio content (sample library) and was thinking about the velocity DUO for this purpose.
Does someone has experience with this card in a 3.1 MP (only seen 4.1 and 5.1), stability, speed (no need to boot from the card) ?
Planning to use the card in a RAID setup, how do I do/configure, disk utility ?
I've heard RAID0 isn't really safe, is RAID1 better and is it working with the card ?
Made for two drives but does it work with one (only)?
Thanks in advance for your help,
Greg

MattsanaX

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2012
Gothenburg, Sweden
If you had any idea how much I appreciate you guys and your knowledge on this forum. It's awesome to see.

But it is hard to wrap my head around all this technology as I'm not so firm on all of it.

I hear a lot about Windows 8 running well on the Duo X2. But what about Windows 7. I think I've missed it cause I can't recall hearing about it. Hows it going for you who runs Windows 7?

And also.. installing Windows using bootcamp.. doesn't that have to be done on the same drive OS X is installed on using the Bootcamp utility where you cut the drive in two partitions?

And what was the final opinion about the Adonnics card with 4 mSATA ports? Seems nice to be able to run RAID0 per 2 SSDs. Is it cause it's maximal throughput is 6Gbit/s that makes it a bottleneck? 6144Mbit/s/8=768Mb/s read/write speeds on total of 4 drives? Is that how it's calculated?

Last edited:

MassMacMan

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2012
Boston MetroWest
I'm running Windows 7 on a DUO sled. It runs just fine. I used Winclone Pro to migrate it from its previous home on a smaller SSD.

As you pointed out, it runs on the same drive that OS X lives on. No problem. I installed a 1TB SSD and gave Windows 200GB. Don't use Win very much, so that works OK for me. OS X is happy in the remainder of the SSD. The other sled has a 500GB SSD used as scratch space for Photoshop and Premiere.

There's probably a way to get Windows 7 to live by itself on a separate SSD, but since I don't need that functionality, it remains but a matter of intellectual curiosity how it can be accomplished.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
So I started another thread about upgrading the boot drive of my mac pro to ssd having done my macbook pro to ssd and being astonished by the speed difference.

Im a litte confused, as I though I could get a 3.5 inch ssd sata drive and whack it in one the mac pro trays.

My my understanding now is that I use one of these cards, with an ssd mounted into it in a PCI slot? is that right?

So I'd be looking at getting a samsung evo 850 1tb, an apricorn velocity solo x2 extreme, mount the samsung in the capricorn velocity, plug it into a free pci slot in my mac pro, clone my current boot drive to the samsung one, and boot from the samsung..... have I got that right?

Its on a 2008 mac pro running 10.10 btw.

thanks in advance for any help

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
So I started another thread about upgrading the boot drive of my mac pro to ssd having done my macbook pro to ssd and being astonished by the speed difference.

Im a litte confused, as I though I could get a 3.5 inch ssd sata drive and whack it in one the mac pro trays.

The SSD (2.5" needs a sled for perfect fit) will be crippled by the SATA2 in one of the internal media bays, so a PCIe addon card is the way to go.

My my understanding now is that I use one of these cards, with an ssd mounted into it in a PCI slot? is that right? So I'd be looking at getting a samsung evo 850 1tb, an apricorn velocity solo x2 extreme, mount the samsung in the capricorn velocity, plug it into a free pci slot in my mac pro, clone my current boot drive to the samsung one, and boot from the samsung..... have I got that right?

Spot on!, BUT do also please checkout this GREAT MR thread maintained by @handheldgames SATA Express meets the '09 MacPro - Bootable NGFF PCIE SSD

These are some very super fast alternatives for the SOLO/DUO x2 PCIe cards! :cool:

Its on a 2008 mac pro running 10.10 btw.

No problem what so ever for the SOLO/DUO x2, please check with @handheldgames if he has a 100% MP 3.1 compatible solution for you!

thanks in advance for any help

YMW! Cheers

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^A 3,1 Mac Pro needs the Solo or Duo x2 mounted in PCI slot 2. Slots 3 and 4 are PCIe spec 1.0 while slot 2 is PCIe spec 2.0.

Lou

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Dual boot CONFIRMED for new Apricorn Velocity DUO X2!!!

^^^^A 3,1 Mac Pro needs the Solo or Duo x2 mounted in PCI slot 2. Slots 3 and 4 are PCIe spec 1.0 while slot 2 is PCIe spec 2.0.

Lou

Thanks for your additional and CRUSIAL info's! Missed mentioning that!

Cheers

Last edited:

CanadaMaple

macrumors member
May 1, 2015
Somewhat related here:

If I bought the Sonnet Tempo SSD Pro Plus could I use it with ONE SSD installed and add another later?

Thanks
CM

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Somewhat related here:

If I bought the Sonnet Tempo SSD Pro Plus could I use it with ONE SSD installed and add another later?

Thanks
CM

Yes ... the drives are independent (JBOD) and can be used separately. If you wish to later use them in RAID-0, you use Disk Utility to create a software RAID array which will require reloading any data you previously had on one of them.

Frank Aberrant

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2015
Hello everyone . I read the whole thread but i am still confused . What is the best and fastest solution for a mac pro 3.1 ? No money limitation . Could i just install any pci ssd ? or is it the only way with velocity or sonnet ?

flehman

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2015

Lou

+1. I own a Mac Pro 2008 too. An Apricorn in slot 3 or 4 is hardly different from just installing the SSD into one of the stock drive bays. I have 2 SSDs in my stock drive bays that do around 250 MB/s, and the SSD in the Apricorn does around 480 MB/s in slot 2. Those speeds are all un-RAIDed.

Reactions: m4v3r1ck

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Hello everyone . I read the whole thread but i am still confused . What is the best and fastest solution for a mac pro 3.1 ? No money limitation . Could i just install any pci ssd ? or is it the only way with velocity or sonnet ?

You can get the Apricorn Velocity Duo x2 and run 2 SSDs with your 3,1 in slot 2.

Lou

Reactions: m4v3r1ck

mcmxvi

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2015
Can I take my current boot SSD which sits in SATA0, place it in the SATA0 on the Velocity Duo, and boot with it? :)

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Worked like a charm!

R/W speeds went from 250ish to 480~ on my 850EVO! Happy camper :D

Solo X2 Duo with an 850 EVO 500GB and a 120 Kingston V200 for Windows.

Congrats on your purchase and always a delight te read someone is a Happy Camper!

What OS X version do you have and did you enable TRIM?

Cheers

mcmxvi

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2015
What OS X version do you have and did you enable TRIM?

Thanks! Running 10.10.4. No TRIM as far as system report goes.

I did not read the entire thread yet. Is there any info in here on how to enable it?

Thanks again for helping out!

Edit: As a side-note: My System Report window sometimes look like this, with severely condensed table for the strings. Is there a quick fix for this problem?

Screenshot 2015-07-24 17.56.50.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.