Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Davy.Shalom

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
So I tried to create a 30GB partition from my main mac partition by resizing the mac side. I did not touch windows. However, in order to do that I think disk utility moved around some sectors. I don't exactly know how permanent storage works but I assume something like a pointer mismatch is going on. My hypothesis is that the windows boot loader pointer (or whatever) isn't pointing to the new location where my OS is (because it's still all there, ubuntu didn't write over it,) but it's pointing to an empty spot.

Ubuntu install did not work correctly and I resized my hard drive so that there is just Windows and Mac. There is 20 GB of unallocated space.

I'd like to know how to get rid of this unallocated space and put it back into the mac partition (it doesn't show up as free space in disk util,) but if I click the + to make a new partition the empty 20GB goes to this.

I'd like to know how to get Windows to see the new location and make boot possible. I cannot launch windows startup repair because it can't even see the operating system to repair.

It's interesting to note that I can still boot and run windows through parallels, I just can't do it natively on restart via the option key.

I would really like to avoid deleting the windows partition and reinstalling everything.

No, I don't have a system image.

Any help appreciated! I'm in engineering school and need Windows to run some design software for some labs due in a few days!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.