Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freshe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
Should I be happy or will apple make me sad with spec bump (of some sort if at all) in near future?

It will arrive around 26th of this month. Spec is: i7 4.0, 16gb ram, the basic ati graphics and 512GB flash storage.

mgb1120

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Nice!!!!! I got the same configuration! Arrives tomorrow from Fremont California good choice!

freshe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
I might seem bit fussy but I kinda regret not gettin the higher GPU… cant wait to see this bad boy in action tho and not see any pixels !! :D

Alesc

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2014
France
You should have taken 8GB Apple RAM and buy 16GB third party RAM: you would have 24GB in your machine for less than the 16GB Apple option...

freshe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
You should have taken 8GB Apple RAM and buy 16GB third party RAM: you would have 24GB in your machine for less than the 16GB Apple option...

I know and you're right - it's just that ram is never top of my list when getting macs...

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
I ordered one for one of my bosses. I got the i5 though, as the i7 at the time was not in stock. However, I did opt for the higher GPU, and 16GB of ram as well. IT IS AWESOME!! :apple::cool:

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Should I be happy or will apple make me sad with spec bump (of some sort if at all) in near future?

It will arrive around 26th of this month. Spec is: i7 4.0, 16gb ram, the basic ati graphics and 512GB flash storage.

Congratulations! I'm sure this will be moved into the "I just ordered/bought/got my new/refurb iMac" thread soon enough.

BTW, by "basic ati graphics" I assume you mean the AMD M290X.

freshe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
BTW, by "basic ati graphics" I assume you mean the AMD M290X.

Yes sir that is correct. I just hope they dont release new version anytime soon as it would drive me nuts!! Prolly with nvidia gtx980m 4gb :D

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
This will always happen with computers. There will always be a newer, better, faster model. Since it was just released in Nov I think you are ok for awhile.
Yes sir that is correct. I just hope they dont release new version anytime soon as it would drive me nuts!! Prolly with nvidia gtx980m 4gb :D

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
How can you add to this iMac a 4K monitor or TV with decent refresh rate?

The Retina iMac can drive a 4K display at 60 Hz.

This will always happen with computers. There will always be a newer, better, faster model. Since it was just released in Nov I think you are ok for awhile.

The GPU won't see an update until around October when the Skylake models are released.

roadkill401

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2015
I have the same model for the past 3 weeks and simply love it. You will not miss the faster video card at all. I have not found one thing that I would say this unit is slow at.

As for a newer spec machine. If you take a look at the intel roadmap spec, they will be introducing a new Skylake but it looks like the inital wave will be for the low power laptop headed units and not ones that would make it into an iMac.
Now what will be interesting is if Apple does stake the larger Broadwell E chips that have 6 and 8 cores and make a powerhouse computer with that. Now given the layout of the iMac and the heat distribution, i doubt that chip will ever hit a Mac. The Mac Pro all use Xeon chips so not likely.

I think you will be good for a while. In a year or so, they will have the newer Skylake chips in the iMac, but chances are it's likely to be that marginal improvements like between the 2012 and 2013 iMac's where there was a whopping .2 ghz step up. There will be some other internal improvements that go along with it like the bump to DDR4 memory chips, Thunderbolt 3..

But from the vast majority of users, it will make no real difference. The Retina screen was the huge jump forwards.

MacSignal

macrumors regular
May 8, 2010
Be happy! I ran a similar setup with an i5 for a couple of weeks and it was nice! Everyone posting here is speculating, but I think it will be incremental spec bumps for a cycle or two, before there is a more compelling upgrade.

Either way, you have a good machine on the way. There is a lot to enjoy before something better comes along. If you need to feel better, check out the some of considerably more fiddly and expensive alternative setups. :D

freshe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
Thank you to everyone. That indeed made me feel better - unless apple will surprise everyone and release a seriously updated version along with their watch and macbook pro 12". Anyone has any idea how much better the 295x is comparing to 290x - I know its only 5 in the naming but I had 780m before and was very happy with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.