Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
Hi,

On iOS 8.1.3 why does the music player sort by 'Album Artist' instead of 'Artist' when you're in 'Artists' view? This means that all my compilation albums are listed under 'Various Artists' and it's causing me a hassle.

I thought the solution might be to remove the 'Album Artist' from all my compilations but then they wouldn't group together. That is of course assuming the music player would then default to sort by 'Artist' if 'Album Artist' is missing.

For the same reason I can't change the 'Album Artist' from 'Various Artists' to individual artists, the album won't group.

I then thought I could change the 'Album Artist' to the name of the album but that wouldn't achieve much, instead of the 'Various Artists' issue I would have them sorted by album name when I'm supposed to be looking by artist.

I can't be the first with this problem, somebody must have figured out a work around.

Thanks.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
Check Settings > Music: Group By Album Artist - that may do what you desire.

Thanks for that, it's not quite perfect but I imagine it will be the best I can do. eg an album by a primary artist with different guests (duets) is now split out when I would prefer it was not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.