Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b0fh666

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
south
you never really quit you know.

have reduced it to a bare minimum as I age tough, that **** is really bad. had surgery last november and had not touched a cig yet, but... who knows.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
You have to want to. Not stop because you should, but because you really want to, that helps with resisting cravings.

I stopped at work, and after three days its fine, I never feel like one at work.

Cut back, so as to reduce the cravings when you stop.

Read Allan Carrs Easy Way To Stop Smoking, That reinforces the desire and wish to stop.

Smoking adds nicotine to your body. That doesnt make you feel good, it just satisfies the craving for the reduced nicotine, then you smoke, add nicotine which takes away the craving, and as that fades you need a smoke.Not to enjoy, but to take away the reduced nicotine and the increased craving. Smoking is a recovery action, not an enjoyable action.

I feel that the brain is big. You have habit smokes, these are automatic. Remove one by one. As you become less addicted to the chemical and to the brain habit, cold turkey is easier.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
you never really quit you know.

have reduced it to a bare minimum as I age tough, that **** is really bad. had surgery last november and had not touched a cig yet, but... who knows.

Truth. I smoked for 20 years and stopped for 9. Went back and smoked for 2 and haven't had a cigarette in almost 5 years now.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
You have to want to. Not stop because you should, but because you really want to, that helps with resisting cravings.

I stopped at work, and after three days its fine, I never feel like one at work.

Cut back, so as to reduce the cravings when you stop.

Read Allan Carrs Easy Way To Stop Smoking, That reinforces the desire and wish to stop.

Smoking adds nicotine to your body. That doesnt make you feel good, it just satisfies the craving for the reduced nicotine, then you smoke, add nicotine which takes away the craving, and as that fades you need a smoke.Not to enjoy, but to take away the reduced nicotine and the increased craving. Smoking is a recovery action, not an enjoyable action.

I feel that the brain is big. You have habit smokes, these are automatic. Remove one by one. As you become less addicted to the chemical and to the brain habit, cold turkey is easier.

The Allen Carr book did it for me. I stopped on June 21 2002, same day Ronaldinho scored that free kick against England in the world cup.

Now I feel old.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I was scared into quitting.

My Dad woke up on Father's day that year and got halfway down the hallway and collapsed. His lungs burst in his chest due to the emphysema that he had from years of smoking. We agreed to unplug the life support that night.

The last two years of his life were not fun ones.

I quit smoking a day or two after he passed away.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Watching loved ones die stupidly young from cancer is a good incentive. Having seen my step father groaning on a morphine driver surrounded by family and hospice nurses and dying at just 52 years old, I have a very different outlook on life. That little white stick that gives you a little bit of pleasure and makes you look cool in your teens isn't quite so cool when it shaves 30 years off your life. It has robbed my mother of enjoying her old age with the man she loved and his grandchildren will only hear about him from stories.

Perhaps smokers wishing to give up and not having that extra bit of will power should visit a cancer ward and see first hand how damaging it can be on the body when it is all too late? Pictures on fag packets don't deliver the reality, and after all we only get one chance. I smoked as a late teen briefly and luckily had the will power to just drop it. I know it can be very difficult for long time smokers and when your kids plead with you to stop smoking, rather than laugh and say 'I will one day', do it now. Your kids are not joking, they are scared. :)

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I quit smoking about six or eight times for varying periods of time (six days to 23 months) before running out of cigarettes during a blizzard and quitting again because there was no other option. That blizzard happened 15 years ago on Martin Luther King day, and I took it as something of a sign: free at last! Since then, so far so good.

The one thing I learned from my earlier failures to stay quit: don't ever tell yourself you'll just have one cigarette...

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
I quit smoking about six or eight times for varying periods of time (six days to 23 months) before running out of cigarettes during a blizzard and quitting again because there was no other option. That blizzard happened 15 years ago on Martin Luther King day, and I took it as something of a sign: free at last! Since then, so far so good.

The Free At Last comment is the key, that your positive reinforcement to help reduce the desire.

The one thing I learned from my earlier failures to stay quit: don't ever tell yourself you'll just have one cigarette...

Yep!

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
Doctor told me that smoking destroys air sacs in the lungs, and they never regenerate. You are born with only so many, so each time you smoke you are permanently decreasing your ability to absorb oxygen from the air you breathe in. Scared me to stop some years ago, though after years of not smoking now sometimes smoke a cigar (without inhaling).

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Doctor told me that smoking destroys air sacs in the lungs, and they never regenerate. You are born with only so many, so each time you smoke you are permanently decreasing your ability to absorb oxygen from the air you breathe in. Scared me to stop some years ago, though after years of not smoking now sometimes smoke a cigar (without inhaling).

Ever see the pictures of a smokers lungs? Google them. They look like a ugly discolored sponge. Those holes are supposed to hold air but over time, smoking damages them so much.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I have never smoked - and would class myself as an ardent non-smoker, as are my two brothers - but my father did for most of his life, ever since he was a young man, long before his marriage to my mother.

From a period shortly before his retirement, - and, by then, he was reducing his nicotine intake anyway, - he had accepted a family request (none of the rest of us smoked) that he confine his smoking to the kitchen after meals, leaving the rest of the house smoke free.

After the cheese course, he would announce that he would light his pipe, and that if we wished to leave the room - or suffer smoke - now was the time to do so. We would abandon the kitchen, he would pour himself a whiskey, help with the washing up (or, often, do it), sometimes then proceed to do the ironing, listening to classical music or jazz on the radio or on a CD, pour himself another whiskey and relax for a few hours, sipping, smoking, listening to seriously eclectic music and chatting to whoever came by the kitchen.

Earlier, he had made a few fairly feeble attempts to give up smoking, but, as other posters have already pointed out, you have to really want to do it, and, until quite late in his life, he didn't really wish to give up smoking. He had his routines - no smoking ever before dinner - and his forms of relaxation - which included smoking, and had no real desire to change what was a very pleasant life.

Then, in 2001, a medical examination revealed that he needed a heart by-pass, and also required stents. As part of his treatment, he was advised to quit smoking. Permanently.

I recall his last smoke, the evening before his cardiac operation. He lit his pipe, proceeded to smoke it, hugely enjoyed it, sighed, and simply announced "That's it". After the operation, he had already decided that he would quit completely, and so he simply went cold turkey, and never smoked again as long as he lived.

Vincesapplemac

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2015
I had a 40-50 a day habit, though admittedly about 20 of those were lit and just burnt away in the ash tray while I was gaming.

I'd previously tried :

Nictorette Gum/lozenges/patches et
Cold Turkey
Vaping

All with very little success, after having a chat with a friend who was in practice he suggested I try Champix, so started on my 3-4 month course of the pill and 14 days into it I had my last cigarette, that was on the 14th Jan 2014.

Since then I've only had one relapse and that was in Sept 2014 upon the death of my best friend, my dog Blue.

I smoked for two weeks while we were on holiday, she died the week before we left, the holiday had been booked specifically so she could come with us, so was a very hard 2 week's, drank quite a bit as well, upon returning spoke to the Dr who said if I needed Champix to help again, they'd be happy to prescribe it again, this time however I didn't need it.

I can highly recommend it for those who find the addiction a hard one to kick, it's not suitable for everyone, but it worked for me.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I am smoking a romeo e julietta right now :D

And I am not planning on stopping;)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I am smoking a romeo e julietta right now :D

And I am not planning on stopping;)

Ah, yes. I applaud your good taste even if I don't quite share it.

But these are akin to an XO cognac - that is, they are so good, so special (and indeed, so costly) that one does not indulge on a daily basis, but rather when an occasion seems to call for it.

Cigars are not what are smoked by the 30 or 40 habit a day crowd………...

SimonUK5

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2010
Vaping did it for me, and i actually work in a Vaping shop now, and probably get 300-400 people to stop smoking a month through my job.

Did 40 marlboro red a day for a good number of years, and picked vaping up as a novelty, but i never brought more cigarettes.

95% of what is said in the Press about e-cigarettes is BS. I know whats in them, i know what i'm doing and what compounds i'm releasing by doing so, i have no intention of giving up Vaping anytime soon.

Gozar

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2011
Austin, TX
My wife was pregnant, I got a really bad cold, my store got a surprise audit (Corp store) and my Grandpa died.
I decided I was being tested. So I quit for 1 hr at a time, 1 became 2, then 4, then a day then a week and I never looked back.

Eldiablojoe

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2009
West Koast
If you want to not do something anymore you simply don't do it anymore.
It's not rocket science.
Exactly. That's how I did it more than 10 years ago, after trying and failing numerous times. It is a matter of self-discipline. Just as drug rehab programs will not get people to quit drugs- it is NOT a panacea. It is a resource when the the person has the desire and discipline to do it themselves, nothing more.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Had a cigar habit for long after it ceased being the cool thing to do. Ever-expensive and brought on endless arguments.

Cold turkey following a read of cancer diseases at Mayo clinic site, assisted by a quitting app that ran cumulative monetary savings from having stopped.

Eventually, I forgot all the places I'd stop and buy. Those would ordinarily have been strong influencers that I'd insidiously plan to be near in my workaday.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Congrats to everyone who has quit or has made the decision (or even the consideration) to quit. While I have never smoked my career exists in the world of substance abuse and every day I see just how difficult giving up a drug is- whether it be nicotine, alcohol, or heroin.

I am a licensed pharmD (Doctor of Pharmacy) working on my 2 year clinical psych residency with an interest in addiction medicine. Over the past 4 years I've worked in hospitals, rehabs, research labs and face to face with hundreds, if not thousands of addicts of all sorts. While my focus is typically is on people with severe substance abuse disorders- alcohol, heroin, cocaine, meth, etc, smoking is usually treated as a secondary addiction. The (unfortunate) fact is most addicts won't give up their primary drug and smoking at the same time.

No matter what the substance, the basic psychology and ultimate biological processing are the same, generally with varying intensity depending on the substance which results in how addictive the drug is (broadly speaking).

One thing I have personally observed and every successful substance abuser has told me is that you have to want to quit. You can't do it because your wife wants you to stop or you're having negative health effects. You have to innately *feel* and be motivated in your heart that you want to stop. You're quitting for the betterment as you as a whole- emotionally, physically, and spiritually. Consideration of consequences definitely helps, but you have to internalize them.

My other quick notes
1) Try as many treatment methods at a time within reason. A lot of people quitting focus on one treatment method at a time aka just hypnotism, just exercise, just nicotine replacement, just cold turkey. Why put all your eggs in one basket? Use as many compatible tools as possible within reason, even if they don't sound appealing.
2) Be prepared for the social impact quitting may have on you. Most people don't anticipate or underestimate the effect of this. It's remarkable how many relapses are caused by changes in social dynamics.
3) If you're going to use nicotine replacement (patches, gum, lozenges, etc) talk to a doctor or pharmacist to optimize your treatment. There is no shame in getting help, whether that be from professionals or medicine. Pharmacists advice is free and nothing makes them happier than getting out from behind the computer and helping people 1 on 1:D
4) Have a plan to follow if you relapse. You don't want to ruin all the progress you have made. Relapses happen but if you give up, then you'll never quit. On average it takes 7-8 serious attempts to quit smoking. So keep on trying.

(This is not intended as individualized medical advice. Speak with your doctor or pharmacist about quitting)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.