Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
This is what passes for news nowadays? People travel. Even people who steal iPhones. Or people who unknowingly by a stolen iPhone off Craigslist. I'll be impressed when a stolen iPhone makes it to the moon.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I'm always surprised when I see these stories, because what idiot wouldn't "erase all content and settings" on a new (to them) iPhone before using it?

The only way this can happen is if the phone has NO passcode and they start just using the phone casually without caring that it's signed into someone else's iCloud account and has someone else's contacts, texts, photos, etc. on it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'm always surprised when I see these stories, because what idiot wouldn't "erase all content and settings" on a new (to them) iPhone before using it?

The only way this can happen is if the phone has NO passcode and they start just using the phone casually without caring that it's signed into someone else's iCloud account and has someone else's contacts, texts, photos, etc. on it.
Probably because if Find My iPhone is enabled on the phone then resetting it would require the iCloud password (and even after that there's Activation Lock that would come into play).

The stranger thing is why the person who lost it didn't lock it or change the lock code and perhaps even completely erase it given that it seems they have Find My iPhone access to it via iCloud online.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
The stranger thing is why the person who lost it didn't lock it or change the lock code and perhaps even completely erase it given that it seems they have Find My iPhone access to it via iCloud online.

Because the person is clueless about iCloud, and probably a lot of other things on his phone. Per the article:

"I signed into my iCloud — who knows how the iCloud works anyway? No one knows."

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Because the person is clueless about iCloud, and probably a lot of other things on his phone. Per the article:

"I signed into my iCloud — who knows how the iCloud works anyway? No one knows."
The fact that the person signed into it and used find my iPhone to find wher it is certainly seems to be a ways from clueless.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
The fact that the person signed into it and used find my iPhone to find wher it is certainly seems to be a ways from clueless.

Someone likely told him to do that (or signed in for him) when he started seeing strange pictures on his phone and complained to people about it. Or he may have educated himself on what iCloud can do after the odd pictures from China began showing up on his phone. But his own words make pretty clear what the knowledge level is up to now.

That, and you don't just keep a lost iPhone unlocked, un-wiped, un-located and able to access all your data for close to a year unless you're ignorant that there's a risk to doing that, and ignorant that you can do something about it. Willingly ignorant or not.

Jeff R

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2014
You can check which devices that are linked to your iCloud account at iCloud.com.

I just checked mine right now just to make sure. So far, all devices are mine only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.