Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tmn103

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2015
Hi,

I've upgraded an old iPod mini 2G with a 64gb sd card and would like to use it with my car stereo. However, the Pioneer MVH-8300BT stereo doesn't seem to accept a mini iPod. It works fine with my iPod classic and iPhone. Having looked at the iPod compatibility page it seems that most generations work with the stereo, but not the iPod mini.

Does anybody know what drives this and if there's any way around it? For example, is it possible to hack the iPod mini's firmware to make it appear as a classic to the stereo?

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
I have Pioneer AVIC-Z110 head unit and just tried hooking it up to see if it would work on my Mini and nope, it doesn't. Reads and controls the Classic and Video fine.

ApolloBoy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
Just in case anyone else is curious, I tried hooking up a 2nd gen iPod Mini to the stereo in my 2015 Honda Civic (which has a crappy HondaLink infotainment system) and it wouldn't work no matter what I did. Really blows since I was planning on swapping a 128 GB SD card into the mini and keeping it in the car.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.