Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Have you given up on ATV?

• Yes, I found an alternative.

Votes: 47 25.5%
  • No, my primary media box is still ATV.

Votes: 137 74.5%

• Total voters

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
I too rarely bother with my ATV anymore. There are so many other opportunities now and Apple have shown little interest in the UK and European markets they are now pretty much irrelevant.

In fact Android looks more attractive all the time. I'm now running a new Z3 which I love which will be getting Lollipop shortly and I will take a good hard look at the Sammy Tablets when my iPad 2 needs replacing.

I do still love my iMac but in other sectors the opposition have really upped their game and are now making Apple look ordinary.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
BTW if you ran this poll just for the European markets I suspect you would get a totally different result i.e. Apple would barely register.

DamnDJ

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2003
Baltimore
Yes, although it's not completely Apple TV's fault. I recently got a new TV (Samsung Smart TV) and it has all the apps I need (Plex, HBO, Amazon, and Netflix) to watch my media. I also picked up a Chromecast to cover any computer-to-TV streaming I may want to do. Haven't used the ATV since.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
I have an atv3 that I have had for a year and a half or so

and I am getting pretty sick of it. It drops connection regularly and when there is no internet, like happens regularly here, it takes 10-15 minutes to connect to itunes and start a movie.

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
I upgraded sky movies earlier this year

t.b.h I'll be downgrading when I can and book a movie when I feel like it as I did before via apple t.v.

not exactly a feature full product though airplay works well and movies were good quality

I won't be purchasing atv 4 (if its ever produced)

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
After struggling with dropouts and stuttering for months and trying numerous things to solve the problem I have more or less given up too. I am still on FW 5.3 because 6 was noting but trouble for me. The moment I reverted back to 5.3 everything went back to more or less normal.

I am now streaming video from my NAS over Infuse on my iPad to the ATV. At least that works problem free.

midwestfisherma

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
S.E. Mich
My ATV3 works great and always has. No issues what so ever. I tried XBMC for a few months as an alternative and found it to be a PIA! I happliy went back to my ATV. I'm thinking about adding the Fire TV Sitck just for the Amazon viewing options.

a1b2c3

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2014
My ATV3 works great and always has. No issues what so ever. I tried XBMC for a few months as an alternative and found it to be a PIA! I happliy went back to my ATV. I'm thinking about adding the Fire TV Sitck just for the Amazon viewing options.

My ATV3 is also rock-solid with no issues. I use it daily and couldn't imagine using anything else. I love my setup and all my content is tagged nicely and plays and looks great on the ATV. The only thing I am hoping for is a hardware refresh with at least an A7 chip and 1GB of RAM. Could also use a better remote to IMO. Other than that I'm extremely happy with it and I am looking forward to the fourth generation.

midwestfisherma

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
S.E. Mich
My ATV3 is also rock-solid with no issues. I use it daily and couldn't imagine using anything else. I love my setup and all my content is tagged nicely and plays and looks great on the ATV. The only thing I am hoping for is a hardware refresh with at least an A7 chip and 1GB of RAM. Could also use a better remote to IMO. Other than that I'm extremely happy with it and I am looking forward to the fourth generation.

I agree, it could use a better remote.

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
After many years of countless airplaying and random network stuttering, I have upgraded to a $24 dollar Amazon Fire TV stick, apps I now have Amazon Instant Video, Plex, XBMC (Kodi), and Spotify. While my ATV remains sitting on my mantle, I might dust it off when there is an app store of some kind but my $99 dollar ATV has been beaten by a $24 dollar Amazon android-running stick for now. Whatever Apple has sitting in the lab, I hope they release it soon.
Fire TV all the way! Screaming fast compared to Apple TV...got it for 69 this black friday :)

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 29, 2009
My AppleTV 2 has been working very well. I have been considering upgrading to ATV 3, as I would like to be able to take advantage of 1080p.

What size is your TV? After a certain size and distance you can't see the difference.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 29, 2009

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 92

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
We have three 3.5 Gen Apple TVs in the house and two really don't get used. There is nothing wrong with them, it's just that they have been replaced by Mac Minis. The other Apple TV has been chugging along for quite awhile and its still doing great.

The only issue I have had with them was when the Wi-Fi stopped working on two of them. First one to go was my personal one. It would see the network but it just couldn't connect. I tried restoring it via iTunes and I couldn't even finish setting it up. Finally I just got rid of the damn thing and bought a new one (the one that is constantly used). Right when that happened, the second one died. I was getting really pissed that I had two die within a month with the same issue. Luckily, I wrote down my serial number of the first one and compared them. Turns out they were from the same batch that was under a silent recall by Apple for the exact issue I was having.

I contacted Apple flaming because I just shelled out $100 to replace something that they never officially announced was under recall (I didn't take it to the Apple Store because it was out of warranty and thought they wouldn't do a thing). The Customer Relations advisor went ahead and refunded the purchase price of the original Apple TV which I was fine with and life went on. The other one that died was replaced by the Apple Store when I came with my print out of the silent recall paperwork that was posted online by an AASP. Got it replaced and it's been working fine since.

When the next gen model comes out I'll just upgrade my personal one since its the only one still in use. I do have a Roku 2 hooked up to the same TV, but I personally think that Roku's interface is garbage and will probably never buy another.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Look like Apple TV wins :apple: by a mile..

Workaround: Apple is aware of Wi-fi issue with the latest update, particularly when updating wi-fi password, the solution i have found, for now, which works, is after updating, power off AppleTV physically from mains for 10 seconds, and plug it back in...

Should connect ok..

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
In my family room, I have an Apple TV 1 - 160 GB. I think this thing is invaluable. It's running Linux and has Kodi Gothem installed. When you buy just about any Disney movie now, they come with digital copy included. I've installed these on the hard drive. Gotham with Aeon Nox is so simple to use that even a six-year-old can pick her favorite movie to play without help.

I didn't know about the recall for WiFi issues until reading posts in here but my Apple TV's all plug in with ethernet for faster connection.

i1280

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2012
Anyone heard anything about Amazon Prime maybe being available on AppleTV as an App and not via AirPlay?

Also, anyone use the Disney XD app? Every time I go to use it, I have to re-register my cable network...after that, it works fine, but it's really annoying...

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
We've been using the ATV3 for well over a year. Works great. I gave one to my mom who uses it for Netflix. We stream a lot of music and watch videos purchased or rented on iTunes. I also like to cast the screen from my iPad or MBP to the TV this way.

I never buy anything from from Amazon so we don't worry about getting Amazon content.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
My original streaming box was an Apple TV. Now I also have Roku, Chromecast, and a Samsung Smart TV.

Of these, I use the Roku most. In the UK, it has apps for all the major TV services (BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 40D, Demand 5, Now TV), and of course Netflix. Also several options for movie rentals. The only major thing missing is Amazon Instant Video (which I believe is US only on Roku at the moment).

The Apple TV is nowhere near as good in terms of available services. I only keep it around for Airplay, and less so in case there is a movie that I can only rent via iTunes.

The Chromecast is useful for using Google Cast, but for watching streaming services I prefer having a hardware remote so I use the Roku. I'm hoping Roku will decide to support Google Cast so that I can get rid of the Chromecast.

The Samsung Smart TV has almost all the apps I use on the Roku (the exceptions being Now TV & Google Play Movies) and also has Amazon Video, but I prefer the Roku's well-designed remote control when accessing streaming apps.

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
Although I have 3 Apple tvs (1 Apple TV 3, 2 Apple tv 2) in the house I mostly use my Amazon fire TV. I do use the Apple tv 3 for AirPlay and I do prefer its Netflix interface over any other product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.