Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRox650

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2015
Hi,

I was looking for some guidance from you guys for my Apple Cinema A1316 NON Thunderbolt Display.

The other day, the display stopped working. From what I can tell, it looks like the backlight is out, because if I go into a dark room and shine a flashlight on the glass/LCD panel itself, I can see the image is there, faintly. I used the technician guide and checked power at 24DC/GND, and am getting a stable 25V there, so the power supply doesn't seem to be the problem. I also replaced the interface cable going to the LCD as well, and same issue exists.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be here?

Thanks in advance :apple:

Last edited:

graham86

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2014
London, United Kingdom
Hi,

I was looking for some guidance from you guys for my Apple Cinema A1316 NON Thunderbolt Display.

The other day, the display stopped working. From what I can tell, it looks like the backlight is out, because if I go into a dark room and shine a flashlight on the glass/LCD panel itself, I can see the image is there, faintly. I used the technician guide and checked power at 24DC/GND, and am getting a stable 25V there, so the power supply doesn't seem to be the problem. I also replaced the interface cable going to the LCD as well, and same issue exists.

I have two displays with this issue I believe it's a common issue.

I'm going to take them apart and check the test points on the logic board also.

The other thing worth checking is the capacitors on the power supply board to check if they have gone.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
Hi,

Same issue, luckily was still under AppleCare so they replaced the actual display unit inside (I think), maybe it is one piece the display and the backlight?

graham86

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2014
London, United Kingdom
Same issue, luckily was still under AppleCare so they replaced the actual display unit inside (I think), maybe it is one piece the display and the backlight?

Checked all the test points on the logic board and all looked okay, managed to pick up a Power Supply Board for £50 so going to give that a try.

I have managed to get the backlight working by turning the brightness down to about 10% then powering down and powering up the monitor and then turning the brightness straight up to 100%, it seems to work fine until you power down the monitor again. When I get the brightness at 100% the power supply makes a buzzing sound... so hoping it's that.

All the components on the PSU look okay but I'm no expert.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.