Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cookeecut

Cancelled
Mar 16, 2014
Simple fix

I just registered to the forum because I had to post this.
Don't know if this fix works for you guys but here goes:

- Fit the smart cover on your iPad the wrong way. I.e., put the stem of the cover along the edge that has the volume buttons.

- Fiddle around with the edge, taking it off then back on until you hear the clicking sound that caused the problem in the first place (a couple of tries should do it).

- Now try putting the cover back on the proper way. It should work perfectly.

It looks like it's a problem with the smart cover design.

Hope this helps.

aalu91

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2010
WOW! I realized I had this problem today and it was annoying, but did see that the magnets were actually stronger with the presence of the clicking noise. I did what you said and it disappeared...but have no idea why it works! Also kind of regret it as the magnet is weak again just like before

- Fit the smart cover on your iPad the wrong way. I.e., put the stem of the cover along the edge that has the volume buttons.

- Fiddle around with the edge, taking it off then back on until you hear the clicking sound that caused the problem in the first place (a couple of tries should do it).

Hope this helps.

mustu

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
Try this too

Hi all I know there have been a fewer threads regarding this issue, but you're is what I found. If you have a Wi-Fi plus 3G iPad Air and you get clicking sound like closing the smart cover or by folding it back then carry out the following steps.

First step
Remove the Sim card tray.

Second step
Now you will see a small metal lever which is the part that is pressed for ejecting the sim tray. If you move your Smart Cover near that you will notice that it moves and makes a clicking sound.

I also get a bit of a click near the volume button and I don't thing it is the magnets in the iPad but I think it's in a small moving part that kind of makes the click when the cover is closed or opened.

THIS IS NOT THE IOS CLICK I AM TALKING ABOUT. I HAVE TURNED THAT OFF. AND ALSO HAVE MY MUTE BUTTON ON!!!

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
Had this problem too

Now it has solved itself. The anmoying clicking noises of the magnets are gone, because - no joke - the magnets rotated 180 degrees over the last few months.

Now my Smart Cover doesn't close, but it hovers above the edge it's supposed to cover! Dang, but well ... now I have got a special iPad ;)

mustu

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
Are you serious, is there enough room for them to flip around? I have my doubts about that for sure! I guess I can have it check and if not have it replaced. It's sad I hope apple is not messing up the quality of products as that would suck bit time.

JakeH90

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2014
Loss of magnetism

Hey everyone

I bought an iPad air a couple of months ago and the clicking issue happened to me. I took it back to the apple store and they said "the ipad shouldn't be doing that, we'll replace it".

A month later (now) I have the same issue. The only difference now is that the cover doesn't stick to the front screen. If I hold the iPad at at 90' angle it just falls open.

I'm going to take it back again and see what they say. Has anyone else taken theirs back twice? I'm also going to try and get them to cover the cost of the screen protectors I've added. What are my chances do you think?

Jake

Reactions: xoAnna

mustu

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
well I have the issue of the clicking for sure. I am going to take it to the apple store as well. Apple really needs to set up the QC.

I mean what the F..K - Screen issues first and now this?

I can't use another product as I love iOS and ll things apple but this is a shame.

danmcg

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2011
So I noticed the clicking sound about a week ago. The way I noticed it was to put my hand flat on the smart cover and flat on the back of the iPad and just slide the cover towards the hinge. There is just less than a cm that it will move. Each time I did that I heard the click.

Today the cover no longer lines up properly and it does not hold to face of the iPad. There is also no more clicking. It actually hovers off of it now in certain situations. It does still work to lock iPad though.

I don't want to take it back because I can't jailbreak a new one and I need to have my location faker so I can stream MLB games without being blacked out!

Pictures of the hover: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/11zb5pncnkpvnyc/AAAv8KKx-rxRfLE8OsaCfsaaa

hungx

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Davis, CA
So I noticed the clicking sound about a week ago. The way I noticed it was to put my hand flat on the smart cover and flat on the back of the iPad and just slide the cover towards the hinge. There is just less than a cm that it will move. Each time I did that I heard the click.

Today the cover no longer lines up properly and it does not hold to face of the iPad. There is also no more clicking. It actually hovers off of it now in certain situations. It does still work to lock iPad though.

I don't want to take it back because I can't jailbreak a new one and I need to have my location faker so I can stream MLB games without being blacked out!

Pictures of the hover: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/11zb5pncnkpvnyc/AAAv8KKx-rxRfLE8OsaCfsaaa

A lot of the replacement iPads are still running iOS 7.0.4 or 7.0.6. Honestly, I think getting the hardware fixed is more important than watching a few baseball games, but you can always wait for a iOS 7.1 jailbreak before you exchange it.

danmcg

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2011
A lot of the replacement iPads are still running iOS 7.0.4 or 7.0.6. Honestly, I think getting the hardware fixed is more important than watching a few baseball games, but you can always wait for a iOS 7.1 jailbreak before you exchange it.

Priorities are what makes the world go around! :)

I think that watching a few baseball games is more important that getting hardware fixed. I can have done at any point (as long as I'm still under warranty). The "hover cover" doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the iPad, though a new one that I can't fake the location on would highly detract from my enjoyment of the device.

It's not just baseball either. Hockey is the same way!

CPx

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
My iPad was doing this. I think it's loose magnets in the iPad. If you put the smart cover against the iPad and slide it around, you can actually hear the magnets slide around with it (obviously don't attach the spine of the cover to the iPad or else you won't be able to move the cover). Anyway I sort of accidentally fixed it by sliding the magnets back into place via sliding the cover around. I don't have the clicking sounds anymore, and my cover aligns perfectly with the iPad and stays closed and everything. Your mileage may vary, I think I had a bit of luck on my side. But yeah, annoying issue. I have dropped my iPad, and I'm not sure if the issue started before or after that.

Reading this thread, apparently Apple needs to secure the magnets better.

mdturnerinoz

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2012
Sydney, Australia
clicking sound is not due to the smart cover

My wife's iPad 3 was doing the same and driving her nuts every time she closed her STM iPad cover (i.e. NOT an Apple Smart Cover).

So, being that we have iOS 7x), I went to Settings > Sounds > Lock Sounds and set it off. If you toggle the button you will notice it makes the same sound (i.e. Like when with the volume on you hear a "click" if your press the button at the top right of the iPad (i.e. To go to the lock screen). The only "problem" now is that when the button at top right is pressed, no sound is heard (I aver that any of your here would hear no sound if you turned sound off altogether being that this is NOT the case clicking).

Good luck to all. Hope this helps as it did for us.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
My wife's iPad 3 was doing the same and driving her nuts every time she closed her STM iPad cover (i.e. NOT an Apple Smart Cover).

So, being that we have iOS 7x), I went to Settings > Sounds > Lock Sounds and set it off. If you toggle the button you will notice it makes the same sound (i.e. Like when with the volume on you hear a "click" if your press the button at the top right of the iPad (i.e. To go to the lock screen). The only "problem" now is that when the button at top right is pressed, no sound is heard (I aver that any of your here would hear no sound if you turned sound off altogether being that this is NOT the case clicking).

Good luck to all. Hope this helps as it did for us.
I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.

ffnc1020

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2013
Indiana
My iPad air starts doing that a week ago, got it replaced today. Hope it won't happen again cause I am only two month until warranty runs out.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much, this solved my problem! :)

machlo

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2014
My 2 weeks old iPad Air 2 Wifi+Cellular has the same problem, i.e. when smart cover is folded to the back and I slide it around a bit I hear quite loud click somewhere from SIM card tray. There's no sound at all when smart cover is on the front. Cookeecut's solution doesn't work for me. Apart from click sound it works ok... I suppose so, because it holds smart cover at either sides of the iPad.

I noticed it today, just after I installed iCarbons to the back of iPad and smart cover and now cover is now much more slippery and slides around the back of iPad much easier.

I though that maybe when I insert SIM card it won't be audible, but still it's the same.

It annoys me a bit, but I can live it until magnets stop to function properly - I hope it won't happen.

Risherp

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2014
Clicking closure ... Photo sound

I am having a similar issue but a little different. When I close my iPad I hear a clicking noise like a photo is being taken. My case is made by Logitech and the iPad fits within four rounded corner brackets. Here is the strange part:

1. I also have a case with attached keyboard and it doesn't make the noise
2. It doesn't make the noise when the screen lock is in place but only when I simply close the lid on an open session
3. While this is there is a screen capture sequence, I use it and am no way holding down the keys
4. I don't see any photos in my photo folders
5. I have tried turning off the key click setting but that has no effect

This doesn't seem to have a negative effect but makes me think my work is being monitored. Crazy and paranoid, yes but I am security conscious.

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
I have an iPad Air 2 with an Apple Smart Cover. When I hold it in portrait position with the smart cover half open I occasionally hear a click sound. It doesn't sound like it's coming from the speakers. Is this the dreaded magnet issue? If so doesn't it get worse overtime?

Risherp

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2014
Found my answer...dah

It occurred to me that I might have some setting that was causing this sound. After poking around I found that in the sounds menu in IOS 8 there is a lock setting which I had turned on. It sounds when I close the case to confirm the iPad is being powered down. Nice feature now that I can set aside concerns about security because of the similarity to the camera click.

LukeLambert

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012
Loose magnets were definitely a problem with the original iPad Air. Apple replaced my wi-fi only model twice because a magnet became detached and was rattling around inside. The second time, the magnet flipped over and started repelling the Smart Cover, as others have reported.

My iPad Air 2 (wi-fi + cellular) makes a similar clicking sound when the Smart Cover is folded back, so I thought it was experiencing the same issue. However, after a visit the Apple Store, I've come to the conclusion that all iPads with a SIM card will make a little clicking sound as you move a Smart Cover over the back. It appears the magnets in the cover jiggle the SIM card ejection mechanism, which is a moving part made of metal.

Here's a video showing the Smart Cover sliding around over the back of an iPad Air 2 and moving the ejection mechanism. The SIM card tray has been removed. If you turn up the volume, you can hear the clicking. It's noticeable in a quiet room, but even the Geniuses at a noisy Apple Store on a busy Saturday could hear it by putting the iPad up to their ears.

I find the sound annoying and distracting, but I can live with it knowing it's intended behavior.

JWpearson

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2015
Hi all,

Having an issue with my iPad Air, specifically the magnet on the back that holds the Smart Cover in place.

In the last few days, the back magnet is making a clicking noise right before it attaches - it is when I align the Smart Cover to the back of the ipad, on the left hand side if you flip the ipad over - not the edge it is always connected to.

Just for the record, the sound is NOT the sound of the Smart Cover simply hitting the ipad - I can simply open and close the last edge of the Smart Cover when it is against the back and simply let it float over close enough and it makes a sound.

Even if I go really lightly and attach it, it makes a audible clicking sound - like pushing a piece of metal in and out. I even tried taking The other edge of the Smart Cover (the horizontal magnet edge) and tried running it along the edge on the back on the side with the buttons and it makes a sounds as well.

Can anyone else test this and see if this is normal?

...and no, this is NOT the locking click sound driven by the software.

I have EXACTLY this same issue on my 6 month old iPad Air. Has the regular flip cover. A couple of months ago it started making a single loud click sound near the top right of the device when I open the cover and fold it to the back. CLICK. Just like that. Very consistent.

I took it to the Apple Store yesterday and had the Genius Bar folks look at it. After I had researched this online and found your post. Of course they denied knowing about the issue and said it was caused by the clear snap on cover I have on th back. And said it is not known to Apple.

When I got home I tried it again and also tried it without the snap on plastic cover on the back. Both ways the same loud click sound is made when I open the cover and turn it to the back. And now I hear a tny click when turning it back to the front.

So... Basically I have the exact same issue. And Apple denies knowing about it.

Since this does not affect the performance of the ipad I am choosing to just live with it for now. I still like the iPad and will keep on using it.

JP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.