Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevefo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
The menu bar not the dock bar.

Last edited:

stevefo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
I meant the tool bar at the top where the time is and stuff.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I meant the tool bar at the top where the time is and stuff.

It probably disappears when you go to full screen with some apps? If so, do not go to full screen.

Basic Mac OS X Graphical User Interface (GUI) Elements
clickable for bigger picture
2011_11_15_pB1_MacOSX-GUI-Elements.png

Jacksonville

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2013
Ah, thanks. I am having the same problem. I understand that it disappears when I go fullscreen, so how do I change this? It's really annoying having the top bar peek back in when I'm trying to click on another tab. :)

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
Ah, thanks. I am having the same problem. I understand that it disappears when I go fullscreen, so how do I change this? It's really annoying having the top bar peek back in when I'm trying to click on another tab. :)

If you use apps in full screen then they're in full screen. If you want the menu bar always there then don't use fullscreen, just stretch the window out a bit so it is larger.

You can't have 'not quite fullscreen' or 'I can't believe it is not "fullscreen"' mode. It is one or the other.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
Ah, I see. So is there a registry entry I can change to fix this, or something?

Fix what? If it is in full screen it covers the menu bar. By definition is it 'full screen'. If it is not in fullscreen then the menu bar is visible. Just don't run the app in fullscreen and your menu bar is visible.

Reactions: rmpbklyn

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
Instead of pressing the full screen button in the top right corner of the program, click the green full screen button in the upper left corner of the program. this will keep the menu bar from hiding itself.

Reactions: rmpbklyn

MacFern

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2015
simple answer

Ah, I see. So is there a registry entry I can change to fix this, or something?

I came here looking for a simple answer, but had to google it. Hover your cursor at the top of the screen so you can see the toolbar, then > View> and way at the bottom is "exit full screen." When you're out of full screen that changes to "enter full screen."

Reactions: Dale Collie

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I came here looking for a simple answer, but had to google it. Hover your cursor at the top of the screen so you can see the toolbar, then > View> and way at the bottom is "exit full screen." When you're out of full screen that changes to "enter full screen."

Or, simply press the "esc" key .... :)

flamestar

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2015
That is false I am not at full screen and again the computer bosses take away our menus. It just happened with the latest up date. They never rest in trying to take away our control of our own computer.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yes, in El Capitan beta, you have a setting that allows the top menubar to hide automatically.
Yes, it really is a sign that those folks at Apple are taking control completely away from the user :rolleyes: <sarcasm>

If you don't want that (or just not impressed), then turn setting back on - UN-check the box in System Preferences/General pref pane "Automatically hide and show the menu bar"

Reactions: BanimalQ

flamestar

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2015
Screenshot 2015-08-31 01.35.56.png
Yes, in El Capitan beta, you have a setting that allows the top menubar to hide automatically.
Yes, it really is a sign that those folks at Apple are taking control completely away from the user :rolleyes: <sarcasm>

If you don't want that (or just not impressed), then turn setting back on - UN-check the box in System Preferences/General pref pane "Automatically hide and show the menu bar"

flamestar

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2015

So please tell me where I check? I don't see it. I may have the wrong page,

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-08-31 01.35.56.png
    Screenshot 2015-08-31 01.35.56.png
    416.3 KB · Views: 1,613
Reactions: jude2151

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You don't have latest beta, which is from less than 2 weeks ago.
You can check what you have by going to the Apple menu/About this Computer.
The build for latest beta is 15A262e
Are you using more than one display?

The choice for hiding the top menubar will be directly under Use Dark menu bar and Dock

Attachments

• general prefs.png
    131.3 KB · Views: 1,042

flamestar

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2015
Dear customer support: I may have the latest bata because I did a manual update by accident about a week ago. It is usually automatic but I pushed the wrong button and thought it wanted to up date so I went along with it.

Last edited:

flamestar

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2015
Dear customer support: I should have gotten back to you earlier. I lost it and I ran my fingers over the keyboard pushing every individual key and plenty of combinations including the F keys. Then I pounded it with my both fists not very hard and I ran my palm over the keyboard all in anger. and frustration. When I finished the menu bar and app bar are back. They stay where they are supposed to be. Everything works perfectly now including the web browser. I have no idea what I did. Thank you for caring.

Reactions: BanimalQ
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.