Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frakam

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2014
my 10 months old iPhone 5S

87c69a9793d945be.png

fcdvpds

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2014
iphone5 from mong kok Sin Tat Plaza

Hi everyone,

i have just bought an iphone 5 in mong kok hong kong. They are sold as new in a closed box. supposely they are 2nd hand refubrished. i am only getting 4 for hours of usage plus 12 standby. I decided to check the cycle count and the values seem strange:

Cycle count 661
Design capacity 1430
Full charge capacity 1300

I was surprised by the numbers. Any opinions? Does anyone know if replacing the battery resets the cycle count?

Cheers

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Hi everyone,

i have just bought an iphone 5 in mong kok hong kong. They are sold as new in a closed box. supposely they are 2nd hand refubrished. i am only getting 4 for hours of usage plus 12 standby. I decided to check the cycle count and the values seem strange:

Cycle count 661
Design capacity 1430
Full charge capacity 1300

I was surprised by the numbers. Any opinions? Does anyone know if replacing the battery resets the cycle count?

Cheers

Well your phone (or at least its battery) was not "new". Someone had already put in those charge cycles in before you bought it.

viboon

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2014
Mine has very high cycle count. It was 2 years old. I think it's time to change the battery.;)

Attachments

• iPhone 5 Battery CycleCount.jpg
    iPhone 5 Battery CycleCount.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 390

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
I must have a super battery on my 27 month iPhone 5.

CycleCount: 628
DesignCapacity: 1430
FullChargeCapacity: 1400

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Wow my moms iPhone 5 seems to be doing VERY well. It was purchased in June of 2013, so quite awhile after the first units went through which had all the horrible battery issues (the ones that were recalled)

But anyway, look at how many cycles she's gone through and how much capacity is left.

Meanwhile, my iPad mini 2 is at 300 cycles (almost 100 less than my moms iPhone 5) and has gone down to 92% capacity, it's at 5800 mAh where the original capacity was 6274 mAh. I still managed 12 hours of usage from a full charge the other day though so I think I'm still in good shape :p

Funny thing is, her battery life is pretty bad. At 30% you usually see 3 and a half to 4 hours of actual usage time. I think it's just her usage habits though. She likes to have the phone on 100% brightness, plus Facebook lights her phones screen all the time for notifications, and she likes to play Hay Day. So yeah, understandable in my opinion.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 754

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
I'm not sure I believe battery doc when it says the capacity of my 5S is 1500 at 475 cycles...

onyxranger

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2015
Iphone 5 2 years old

Battery
CycleCount: 629
FullChargeCapacity: 1263
BatteryCurrentCapacity: 95
BatteryIsCharging: true
ExternalChargeCapable: false
ExternalConnected: true
FullyCharged: false
GasGaugeCapability: true

----------

4 year old Iphone 4, used as ipod last 2 years in my car, charged nightly first 2 years-

Battery

CycleCount: 693
DesignCapacity: 1420
FullChargeCapacity: 1278
BatteryCurrentCapacity: 89

cscheat

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2010
My iphone 5

CycleCount: 510
Design Capacity: 1430
FullChargeCapacity: 1000

Means 69% battery health!!!!!

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
My iphone 5

CycleCount: 510
Design Capacity: 1430
FullChargeCapacity: 1000

Means 69% battery health!!!!!

Oh gosh. Your battery is about done. How long do you get from a full charge with that iPhone? Does it die before it reaches 1% and act funny like how iPhone 5's are famous for?

Iphone 5 2 years old

Battery
CycleCount: 629
FullChargeCapacity: 1263
BatteryCurrentCapacity: 95

----------

4 year old Iphone 4, used as ipod last 2 years in my car, charged nightly first 2 years-

Battery

CycleCount: 693
DesignCapacity: 1420
FullChargeCapacity: 1278
BatteryCurrentCapacity: 89

Wow that's really impressive that your iPhones have gone through almost 700 cycles each and are still around 90% capacity.

Haynzee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
At least with the iPhone 5 replacing the battery yourself is easy enough. I even replaced mine myself but when my phone got the pink hue screen I sent it in and they replaced it so seems like it doesn't even affect warranty.

norenz

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2015
iPhone 6 Plus

So, this is my 5 month old iPhone 6 Plus. I think this is bad..?

CycleCount: 149
DesignCapacity: 2855
FullChargeCapacity: 2600
BatteryCurrentCapacity: 73

shoerofi

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2015
Wow my moms iPhone 5 seems to be doing VERY well. It was purchased in June of 2013, so quite awhile after the first units went through which had all the horrible battery issues (the ones that were recalled)

But anyway, look at how many cycles she's gone through and how much capacity is left.

Meanwhile, my iPad mini 2 is at 300 cycles (almost 100 less than my moms iPhone 5) and has gone down to 92% capacity, it's at 5800 mAh where the original capacity was 6274 mAh. I still managed 12 hours of usage from a full charge the other day though so I think I'm still in good shape :p

Funny thing is, her battery life is pretty bad. At 30% you usually see 3 and a half to 4 hours of actual usage time. I think it's just her usage habits though. She likes to have the phone on 100% brightness, plus Facebook lights her phones screen all the time for notifications, and she likes to play Hay Day. So yeah, understandable in my opinion.

The battery is still good, even after a year of usage.
I would like to know, how did your mom charge the battery.?

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
The battery is still good, even after a year of usage.
I would like to know, how did your mom charge the battery.?

Whenever she needs to. No strict "Only from 0% to 100%" no "Has to be below 20% before charging" no "Can't charge overnight, it'll damage the battery."

She charges it overnight almost every night and if she is running low during the day she plugs in in real quick for a semi charge.

Although the battery health is great still, her battery life is pretty bad. I think it's because of her settings/preferences/usage though. She uses Facebook a good amount, plays hay day, she actually uses her iPhone for phone calls, has the brightness at max much of the time, Bluetooth is always on (connects to her car) and on top of that the cell service isn't the greatest. She also uses the "Yahoo mail" app which seems to be awful with battery.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What application is this? How can I download it? I've searched for iBackupbot but I didn't find anything.
It's a desktop application that you install on your computer and use when you have your iOS device connected to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.