Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

megalaser

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2009
The entire reason of 5k is so that you can view a 4k video with timelines, it's directly targeted at the video market.

It's directly targeted at Dell who are releasing a 5K display, Apple don't want to be outdone.

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
Essentially, no current Mac can drive a 5K display (due to ThunderBolt 2/DisplayPort 1.2) and TB3/DP1.3 will not arrive until Skylake does.

That little caveat needs to spread across the many tech sites so they'll stop asking the question as well.

hwilhelm

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2014
Thunderbolt Display Discontinued

Not to add any more rumors, but when I was at Best Buy and Futureshop, employees told me that they have discontinued the Thunderbolt Displays; in fact, one employee mentioned that they were replacing the Display with a 5K standalone version within the upcoming weeks.

The latter part of this should be taken with a grain of salt, though I can say definitively that the old Thunderbolt Displays have been discontinued at Best Buy and Futureshop in Canada.

Here's hoping they release something soon... I hate looking at the flimsy Samsung monitor.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Not to add any more rumors, but when I was at Best Buy and Futureshop, employees told me that they have discontinued the Thunderbolt Displays; in fact, one employee mentioned that they were replacing the Display with a 5K standalone version within the upcoming weeks.

The latter part of this should be taken with a grain of salt, though I can say definitively that the old Thunderbolt Displays have been discontinued at Best Buy and Futureshop in Canada.

Here's hoping they release something soon... I hate looking at the flimsy Samsung monitor.

Well, that was obviously wrong. They're still selling them.

A standalone 5K display makes no sense since no current Mac can drive it unless they included a gpu which would make it prohibitly expensive.

I'm fine with the current resolution if they'd just thin it up and updated the I/O.

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Tejas Hill Country
A standalone 5K display makes no sense since no current Mac can drive it unless they included a gpu which would make it prohibitly expensive.

Dell and HP both sell standalone 5K displays and the only thing preventing a Mac Pro from driving them is software. I'm skeptical that Apple will release one, but there's no technical barrier to their doing so.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Strange the last ACD came out with a Mac Mini update in July 2011.
Back in July 2010 it was with iMacs and Mac Pros.

For 2015, the Mac Pro could wait for the Broadwell EP based Xeon ET v4 processors (ETA Summer 2015) - it'd seem the machine best suited for the screen, though you'd hope that Skylake MBPs and updated Mac Minis and iMacs could run one too.

Could an updated Mac Pro run 2, iMac, MBP, Mac Mini run 1?

It needs an update to the Macs to have the hardware to run one (TB3 etc), so why not release them at same time? I'd imagine new Mac Pro buyers would be a decent market to sell a 5K ACD to.

MBPs are H2 2015 too - and could easily get TB3 to drive a 5K ACD. We should know by September latest, as Apple will have the updated MBPs out by that time, Skylake rollout will be much clearer (Intel's purposefully not giving details out).

The current Thunderbolt ACD is billed as an "ultimate docking station" - I'd imagine the new ACD will be this (and even more possibly if say the MBA and MBP are going more wireless). If it's coming nearer September time, we might get some hints in OS X 10.11 betas.

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I'm fine with the current resolution if they'd just thin it up and updated the I/O.

I agree. Last summer I picked up an Apple refurbished TBD for a really good price and have been very happy with it. Sure it's not 5k, but the resolution is fine as long as you don't use it ridiculously close. The one thing I wish it had was USB3.

willydimes

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2014
I agree. Last summer I picked up an Apple refurbished TBD for a really good price and have been very happy with it. Sure it's not 5k, but the resolution is fine as long as you don't use it ridiculously close. The one thing I wish it had was USB3.

Agreed, I know some people need higher resolution for certain things but it is still a pretty damn good screen. I would like a thinner profile to mimic the iMac but if it aint broke don't fix it.

We won't see any new screens until essentially all the computers they sell(new) can power it alone which in that case Im sure they will still offer the current TBD for those without the newest technology

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012

May I ask how much you paid for it? Here in the Netherlands its €1.016,00 and various online stores sell them for around €850,00

I think it's still way too much for what it offers. I mean, you cam get a same resolution display for a 4th of that price. Granted it might not have all the ports the TBD offers, but the TBD doesn't even have a HDMI port, so you can't even use it with a PS4 or Xbox One.

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
May I ask how much you paid for it? Here in the Netherlands its €1.016,00 and various online stores sell them for around €850,00

I think it's still way too much for what it offers. I mean, you cam get a same resolution display for a 4th of that price. Granted it might not have all the ports the TBD offers, but the TBD doesn't even have a HDMI port, so you can't even use it with a PS4 or Xbox One.

I paid 50,000 JPY for it last June, which I thought was a pretty good price. I agree that over 1,000 Euros is way too much, as it hasn't been updated to USB3 yet and there are other display options out there. I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't get it so cheap. But, it's still a really good display and more than enough resolution for me and at that price I couldn't pass it up. I hear you on the lack of HDMI though, I wish it had at least one HDMI port.

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
I paid 50,000 JPY for it last June, which I thought was a pretty good price. I agree that over 1,000 Euros is way too much, as it hasn't been updated to USB3 yet and there are other display options out there. I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't get it so cheap. But, it's still a really good display and more than enough resolution for me and at that price I couldn't pass it up. I hear you on the lack of HDMI though, I wish it had at least one HDMI port.

Wow, that's around €370, it's a really nice price. For now, I'm gonna look into a different brand which offers similar specs. For a lot less money of course..

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Wow, that's around €370, it's a really nice price. For now, I'm gonna look into a different brand which offers similar specs. For a lot less money of course..

Yeah, I wouldn't have purchased it otherwise. Apple sells refurbished TBDs here in Japan at about 65,000 JPY, and I got lucky on a deal from another retailer. The Yen was stronger back then so it was a bit more expensive in Euros when I got it. I hope you find a nice display that meets your needs!

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Maybe Apple is getting out of the display business? It just isn't a profitable market.

I understand why there isn't a standalone 5K, but why not update the current ATD to magsafe 2? Laminate screen?

CausticSoda

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2014
Abu Dhabi
I just don't get why they don't release one? They have a full computer in a thinner body than the current TBD with a higher resolution display, is it really that hard to just take the computer out?

YES, YES, YES! I find it truly pathetic that they did not bother to change the form-factor (not to mention other aspects) of the TBD when they made the iMacs thinner. Because of that, they lost at least one sale in me, and I bought an alternative. I hope many others did the same, but presumably not enough... I can't imagine anyone "in the know" would buy their ridiculously aged TBD, still at a premium price level, getting on for four years old.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I'm so torn. I want to get this dell 27" 1440p display, but what if Apple finally updates their TBD? I don't want 4K, I just wanted an updated TBD with an iMac design.

I'm not sure whether to buy now or wait...

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
[[ I'm not sure whether to buy now or wait... ]]

I sense that if you "wait", you're going to be waiting a LONG time....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.