Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kashchei

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 26, 2002
Meat Space
I am a refugee from MobileMe and it took me this long to get up the courage to begin to put my website back online. I've bought a domain name but I need a recommendation for web hosting. I tried the two-week trial offer of Dreamhost, which uses shared hosting, but to be honest, I don't even know what that means. So I thought I'd turn to the experts on this site for a current recommendation. FWIW, my website is just under 10 GB and could grow in the future.

Thank you in advance for whatever help you are able to provide!

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
You'd probably be fine with Dreamhost for an average site, I use a Mac-based host called Server Logistics out of California that I've been really happy with. What exactly are you doing that you have a 10GB website?

Shared hosting just means that, rather than renting an entire server from them, you're sharing space on a server with a number of other website. Unless you had a massive corporate/e-commerce sort of website shared hosting is all you're going to need.

Kashchei

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 26, 2002
Meat Space
What exactly are you doing that you have a 10GB website?

I am a teacher and I wrote an online tutorial for my students that includes lots of graphics and sound files. The reason it could grow in the future is that there may be more topics that are added to the tutorial. Would this argue in favor of Dreamhost, which didn't have a limit on website size the way I've seen from other hosts?

mjep

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2013
This, oddly enough, was the post that got me to register. Hands down, http://www.tera-byte.com. You have never seen customer support like theirs--I get emails back within minutes, 24/7, even on holidays. Brilliant. (And just to be perfectly clear, I have no relationship with them other than a very satisfied customer).

Bobby.e

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2012
Kansas
I just switched my company website to host gator. I am on their highest shared hosting plan. I have been happy with it.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
I am a teacher and I wrote an online tutorial for my students that includes lots of graphics and sound files. The reason it could grow in the future is that there may be more topics that are added to the tutorial. Would this argue in favor of Dreamhost, which didn't have a limit on website size the way I've seen from other hosts?

Any host that offers a lot of storage should be fine, I'd just do some looking and see which hosts offer enough data storage for you.

More importantly is probably how much bandwidth the different hosts and plans offer, with that much data stored you could be using up a lot of bandwidth and wouldn't want to be charged by going over a preset limit.

You might also get with someone who knows something about websites to review your content and see if you can make it more efficient. 10gb seems like a lot even for what you described.

ocabj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
I've been using a Linode VPS for my personal website for over 2 years.

Back in the late 90s it was originally on Hurricane Electric hosting. Then I went to Dreamhost. From there I moved it over to a friend's colo'ed box for awhile until he took his server out of the datacenter. Then I went to Bluehost and after a few years, became disillusioned with site performance and went to a VPS and have been quite happy with it.

Basically controlling the server my website is on means I can do a lot more with regards to security (OSSEC) and customization (running MariaDB instead of Oracle community MySQL or PostgreSQL).

FuzzMunky

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
namecheap is good. They have a great reputation for their domain registry services, but they have also a lesser known hosting part of their business that so far has been great and it is well received by a lot of others too.

Check out the forums at webhostingtalk for more talk about this stuff.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
Fat Cow. Very satisfied with them.

Sorry thus threads a little old, but Im trying to decide what I need. I'm looking at Fat Cow, but I'm open to whatever. I e got a simple Wordpress site. Fat Cow seems like a good deal, but they want $36/yr for WP Essential. Is this worthwhile? Isn't it free from Wordpress?

Any better hosting for me?

mac.love

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2015
check this host http://geekion.com i use them now for my ffmpeg hosting which is on ssd drive and its very fast and the support is friendly with me and i also got it with discount i have coupon code which i got from forums or something

nfable

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2007
+1 for site5.com; I do a reseller hosting plan from them - avoid GoDaddy / HostGator / Brinkster / Nails in the Forehead (in my experiences).

Whereever you get it, make sure its Linux hosting; they just seem to be better and get one that has cPanel - and not a proprietary (yes, from an Apple guy) control panel for domain management. With cPanel, and Softalicious installed, it's pretty easy to deploy a WordPress site (this comng from a guy who has grown from iWeb days -still on my rig) and is now hosting about 20 sites :).

Best o'

-nf

ShinySteelRobot

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Upper Left Corner, USA
I'm using HostGator. They're an extremely popular hosting service, so it's extremely easy to find solutions to any issue via a quick Google search. There are also a ton of YouTube videos out there showing you how to create a complete website from scratch on HostGator.

Currently HostGator has a sale, 55% off all service plans for St. Patrick's Day.

http://www.hostgator.com

If you don't like them, HostGator has a 45-day money back guarantee.

No relationship with the company other than as a customer.

BlueHost is supposed to be quite good too, but I've never tried them.

JoelTheSuperior

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2014
BlueHost is supposed to be quite good too, but I've never tried them.
BlueHost are actually the same company as HostGator now so to be honest the service is probably very much the same.

You'd probably do alright with HostGator but I wouldn't say I'm overwhelmingly positive about them. Service has definitely degraded since the buyout.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Give these guys a shot:

https://vpsdime.com/

I currently use DigitalOcean, but I'm strongly considering moving some of my stuff over to them, as their prices are excellent for the VPS specs that they're offering and they seem to have pretty good reviews generally.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
FYI, if your site is static, AWS S3 is actually a terrific solution. Redundancy/CDN is a click away, same for backup. You don't have to use their Route 53 DNS solution unless you want to serve from the root domain (i.e., domain.com vs. http://www.domain.com).

Using it for a couple of sites with static assets, just a few bucks a month. If you need something trivial like a contact form, there are nice, free, secure resources to route forms to (and receive an email, reporting, metrics, etc.)

FYI, by static I mean no server-side requirements, the content itself can of course be very dynamic (HTML5, JS, etc.) :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.