Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dorje Sylas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Point to me a PC (mac/windows) productivity app that runs more than 2 GB (and isn't just a mass of clip art). Most that I can think of are major graphically based applications, and often its their data that takes up the most space, not the actual program.

If one was expecting to work with such massive applications by phone or tablet, they wouldn't have bought a 16 gig device in the first place. That's like buying a lap these days with 2 GB of RAM, an Intel integrated GPU, and complaining that you can't run AutoCAD or Daz3D.

=====

Long run issue I see is getting Apple to allow developers to host multiple versions of App with different graphical qualities to allow devices of smaller capacity (and processing) to handle them. This was a thing back in the 90s, where you could install games at different graphical qualities if you didn't have 1) enough space, 2) a powerful enough computer.

This kind of option still exists today in modern PC games, where the user is expected to be able to fine tune their graphical and performance settings to achieve the performance result they want.

I feel that iOS and iDevices have reached this stage in longevity. With many A5 processor decides still in active use. And like active use for a good few years to come. It would be best practice for "game makers" to set up their production pipeline now to handle such options.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
We're getting to the point where there really should be a switch to override cellular restrictions. I have a 20GB data plan. Sometimes I want to do bandwidth heavy things on cellular! Hell, sometimes my cellular connection is FASTER than the available Wifi.

That's the reality now. At home, 4G cellular is 50Mbit/s and my optical fiber (what the WiFi uses) is 10Mbit/s

Sure the optical has unlimited data, but I can easily double or triple my cellular data per month without extra costs, and even if I couldn't, why does Apple have to limit what I can and cannot download, beats me.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Anything that brings us closer to Final Fantasy VII on iOS has to be a good thing.

I don't buy Square Enix games anymore.

I paid a lot of money and they have terrible support. I paid $20 for TWEWY and it never worked on iOS 8 and has been pulled from the App Store.

dannymercer

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2014
UK
Oh Apple, please increase the storage in iPhones. I know that everything is moving to the cloud, but storage is now so much cheaper and its just so much easier to have space to breathe.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Oh Apple, please increase the storage in iPhones. I know that everything is moving to the cloud, but storage is now so much cheaper and its just so much easier to have space to breathe.

They have fairly large storage options already.

bn-7bc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
Arendal, Norway
That's the reality now. At home, 4G cellular is 50Mbit/s and my optical fiber (what the WiFi uses) is 10Mbit/s

Sure the optical has unlimited data, but I can easily double or triple my cellular data per month without extra costs, and even if I couldn't, why does Apple have to limit what I can and cannot download, beats me.

Let me guess, 10Mbps is not the max download/upload datarate of that fiber connection? I don't know if I'm the only person on the planet that thinks cellular data shold only be used when no other alternatives exists? Rememer in a cellular network the hop between base station and celphone/cellular modem is usualy way more constraind ( total capasity) then most broadband (dsl on old/thin/long telco wiering is en exeption, or over provisioned cabel tv networks) so for the good of all (you included, when you are out and about) keep call data usage down,

Woops this sonded prechy that was not my intention but the fact renains rf (esp in the bands used for cell data is a limited resource new tech like VoLTE will free up some resourses previosly used by 2G (voice) put until everyone has a VoLTE capable hanset the cariers cannot drop 2g and cosolidate their networks.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
Let me guess, 10Mbps is not the max download/upload datarate of that fiber connection?

You're right. I could easily buy higher datarate, but this one (symmetrical 10M/10M) only costs 10 euros a month and has unlimited data. Well, limited by datarate, but nobody charges me extra if I download 24/7/365 at 10Mbps instead of doing nothing.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Not going to happen. All people will do is buy the 16GB version and an SD card. Where's the profit in that for Apple?

I can see many people doing that, but I don't know about everyone. I don't see my parents, who are in their 70s, wanting to have to find this SD or that SD card. My opinion: give people the option. Maybe it's the naive side of me.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

Actually, speaking about internal storage Apple is giving good options, with 64 and 128 Gb models

----------

16Gb may work for people who uses a smartphone as a phone, I agree.

Not necessarily.
For some people, actually a lot, a smartphone is a device that allows he to make calls, send texts, enter Facebook and use messaging apps like whatsapp.
It's more than a phone, but 16 Gb is enough.

honam1021

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2012
A little off topic, can Apple reject an app if the developer choose to bypass the limit by splitting the data into half? (The first part is installed with the app, and it downloads the rest from an external server on 1st launch)

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
A little off topic, can Apple reject an app if the developer choose to bypass the limit by splitting the data into half? (The first part is installed with the app, and it downloads the rest from an external server on 1st launch)

I think it's allowed. Real racing 3 worked that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.