Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Why would the threads bother me? You are assuming they do. I'm fully aware none of it effects me.

The thing that boggles my mind is that so many people are having spills on their Macs. Otherwise, it's all in good fun. I am bothered by nothing.

----------

Hahaha, I gotta try to make some music with a bunch of caffeine. Yea, I usually hook up my Mac to an external monitor and put it out of reach. I primarily use it as a laptop, when I need to be mobile.

Bothered you enough for you to make a thread about it.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I heard they "create" heat issues under heavy loads... is that accurate or false? Because I'm seriously planning on getting one
No, they don't create heat. Venting is accomplished through the vents at the rear of the MBP, near the hinge, and on Retina MBPs, intake is through the side vents. Heat radiates in all directions and can make the keyboard hot, with or without a keyboard cover.

BoneDaddy

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2015
Texas
So instead I leave it on the beach, where it can get stolen?

I will not stop eating and drinking around my mac. Accidents happen. Do you never work in Coffee Shops, or on Airplanes? Do you not bring your laptop to parties (for music, karaoke, playing videos..)? Do you always use a waterproof laptop bag? I will not restrict myself just because there is a small chance that an accident will happen.

Well THAT would be stupid. Anyone who can even slightly plan ahead, would leave it at home, or in the car.

By all means, don't "restrict" yourself. But then don't make the 50th thread this month about "heeeeeelp I had my macbook on a boogie board and a wave came in and swept it into a shark's mouth!".

----------

Bothered you enough for you to make a thread about it.

Nope. I thought it was funny, so I made a thread about it. I'm starting to feel like I'm having a conversation with my wife. She's the queen of assumptions.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Heh. Eating and drinking in front of my computer wasn't an issue until I got my 2006 MacBook Pro. While I didn't do it at all with my 2011 model, the keyboard still stopped working. :mad:

I would replace it like I did with the 2006, but I'd have to buy the whole top case. I'm happy enough just using it in clamshell mode. Plus it's nice being able to drink something and not worry too much about destroying my wireless keyboard.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
But then don't make the 50th thread this month about "heeeeeelp I had my macbook on a boogie board and a wave came in and swept it into a shark's mouth!".
Funny, as much as I'm active in the forums, I don't recall any such thread, let alone 50 of them.

The fact is that most MR members will never see this thread, not to mention most Mac users. Most of the "spill" threads are posted by those new to the forum, so they can't possibly benefit from anything said in this thread. People will spill stuff on their Macs, misunderstand batteries, memory usage, drive capacities, installing and uninstalling apps, blame anything that they don't understand on nonexistent malware, etc.

All we can do is take one thread at a time and treat it as if the poster has never seen any of the tips presented here. Or, ignore the threads if they don't appeal to or interest us.

BoneDaddy

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2015
Texas
Funny, as much as I'm active in the forums, I don't recall any such thread, let alone 50 of them.

The fact is that most MR members will never see this thread, not to mention most Mac users. Most of the "spill" threads are posted by those new to the forum, so they can't possibly benefit from anything said in this thread. People will spill stuff on their Macs, misunderstand batteries, memory usage, drive capacities, installing and uninstalling apps, blame anything that they don't understand on nonexistent malware, etc.

All we can do is take one thread at a time and treat it as if the poster has never seen any of the tips presented here. Or, ignore the threads if they don't appeal to or interest us.

And if you look back on some of my posts, I've helped folks with things that I would think seemed easy. I understand people are new and get desperate for help, so make forum accounts and post. I'm sure there aren't 50. To most people, that number is clearly an over exaggeration.

This thread isn't for those folks getting any particularly good info. It's all in fun, as stated.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
So instead I leave it on the beach, where it can get stolen?

I will not stop eating and drinking around my mac. Accidents happen. Do you never work in Coffee Shops, or on Airplanes? Do you not bring your laptop to parties (for music, karaoke, playing videos..)? Do you always use a waterproof laptop bag? I will not restrict myself just because there is a small chance that an accident will happen.

Most of the time I will use my iPad in restaurants or transit. Much better form factor and less susceptable to spills. I used to have a 17" MBP which was pretty much unusable on a plane unless I was in first class. If I'm providing music I will use my iPhone or iPad for the same reasons. For a party at my house I will use my Apple TV. My laptop bag will protect my laptop in rain for a good while. It's not waterproof but it does shed water very well. The main thing is to use procedures that minimize the risk like setting drinks so they won't get bumped or can easily pour onto the laptop. At home I use it in clamshell mode in a stand that keeps it out of any spills.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I only drink a bottle with a cap on it that way it will not spill. And I still have keyboard protector but I am afraid it will damage screen when the lid is closed. :apple:

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
My computer desk is a bit small, there is room for a drink but it would end up being quite crowded. [DANGER WILL ROBINSON!].

So what you might think is quite stupid I put my drink on the wooden floor beside my chair. It's only a matter of time before I knock it over, lost count of the number of bumps and close calls. But I would rather be mopping the floor than my iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.