Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RiddlaBronc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
Mcallen Tx
Do you guys think Apple will allow for NFC to have more than one use as it is right now? The S3 allowed for playlists and other stuff (not sure what else is possible) to be transferred via nfc?

What do you guys think? any more possible uses?

Bearxor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Do you guys think Apple will allow for NFC to have more than one use as it is right now? The S3 allowed for playlists and other stuff (not sure what else is possible) to be transferred via nfc?

What do you guys think? any more possible uses?

I'm not going to hold my breath.

I think Apple thinks that the less things that use NFC, the more secure they can keep it. Apple has also developed AirDrop which is a far superior method of sharing things than tap and share, IMO.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
That is cool. Though I never go to ATM machines to withdraw money, this is a good thing to have for most people.

My Bank which is Bank of the West is so behind that they don't even support Apple Pay yet.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Apple has a long time history in maintaining hardware control over what is can do and more important, maintaining what it can't do.

I have my doubts about Apple opening up the NFC functions!

Last edited:

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Bluetooth can be used for all those sharing things, music, photos, videos etc.

But Apple have never opened that up.

Not sure if they will change now.

danniexi

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Yes. And I'd say so in the immediate future. I'm hoping for an NFC API to be announced at the upcoming 2015 WWDC.

Apple had done the same with Touch ID. I see no reason why they wouldn't open that up this year also. I'm sure there will be some limitation on its uses (none of that silly bump to share Galaxy nonsense) but still useful work cases. For example, they announced that you'll be able to open your hotel door with your watch... this can only be done with NFC and I'm sure the big corporate players have early access to the NFC handling. Other uses will probably include the integration with HomeKit.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Yes. And I'd say so in the immediate future. I'm hoping for an NFC API to be announced at the upcoming 2015 WWDC.

Apple had done the same with Touch ID. I see no reason why they wouldn't open that up this year also. I'm sure there will be some limitation on its uses (none of that silly bump to share Galaxy nonsense) but still useful work cases. For example, they announced that you'll be able to open your hotel door with your watch... this can only be done with NFC and I'm sure the big corporate players have early access to the NFC handling. Other uses will probably include the integration with HomeKit.

If you "can see no reason" then you do not know Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.