Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kazem

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 7, 2013
Hey guys,

So I own a MacBookPro7,1 and I installed bootcamp like 2 months ago and so far there were no major problems. Last night I left my macbook on windows, and I woke up at morning and it had somehow switched to my Mac OSX. So I turned off my mac and booted up with windows. It was all fine until the "Starting windows" sign disappeared. For a few seconds my cursor appeared but then it disappeared and my screen went completely black(by black I mean, the black you get when your computer is shut down).

I tried booting with safe mode, and it actually comes up with safe mode..

So I wanna see any1 has any suggestions what it could be and how to fix it :S?

Few side notes:

I use Windows 7 SP1
I do not have my installation disc with me..
I REALLY don't want to do a re-install of my windows.... since I've got so many programs.. and 1 of my programs is around 13gb and I must download and install it again, since it auto deletes the installation package.

Thanks,
Kazem

Seadoodude

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2013
Black Screen

Any solution? I am having the same issue, screen goes black when booting into Windows 7 with laptop display. Works fine if I use an external monitor. I think what is happening is the external display is set to be my main display. At work, I have two external displays hooked up and I notice on boot up, the left screen is active at login screen, while the laptop and right external are black. It's only after I login that all 3 displays are active.

Come to think about it, this issue started happening after I made the left external screen the main display.

It's a windows thing......... I guess I will have to set the laptop display to be the main display.

NotTechSavvyJoe

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2015
I tried a lot of solutions posted on the net, and none worked for me. I tried hooking up an external monitor and Windows 7 worked fine on the external monitor but still would not come up on the Macbook Air screen (the screen also worked fine when running the Mac OS). Using the external monitor, I searched around the control panel for the brightness control, and it was set all the way to the left. I moved it toward the middle and it worked. Note that you have to do this separately for both plugged in and not plugged in options.

That solved the issue, but the brightness and volume keys still did not work. I went to the Bootcamp Control panel (accessed by clicking the grey diamond Bootcamp icon in the pop up arrow on the bottom task bar), clicked through to get to the keyboard tab, and there was a box that was checked stating, "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys." I unchecked the box, and the keyboard controls returned to normal.

Not sure exactly how this happened, although my son turned the brightness way, way down using the keys in order to listen to something on my computer overnight, and this happened the next day. May or may not be related, but I would guess yes.

Hope this helps someone as I did not see this solution anywhere else and it took me several days of experimenting to find it.

esbrass

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2015
I had the same problem, and thought my computer hard drive had been corrupted for some reason.

For anyone reading this looking for solutions, the simplest would be to say that your Windows preferences have dimmed the screen to black. The solution would be to log into your Windows after it boots and wait for the bootcamp drivers to run, therefore giving the screen brightness buttons to become active. Hopefully you can log in without having to see your screen itself (password /pin)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.