Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
I'm seeing the mid level Mac Mini in the #3 spot and the base level Mac Mini in the #11 spot:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/pc/565098/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_pc_1_2_last

I have a 2012 quad core Mac Mini and I am currently shopping for a low priced Mac to use on the breakfast bar and I am really at a loss for which way to go. In the past, this would have been an easy choice (and I have been a Mini fan for a long time) - so this doesn't feel like progress to me...

Those you see in the list are the 2012s.

No I'm wrong.. those are the newest introduced bestsellers.

This is what I was looking at.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/top-rated/...d_t=101&pf_rd_p=1726050622&pf_rd_i=4972214011

Last edited:

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
I have a 2012 quad core Mac Mini and I am currently shopping for a low priced Mac to use on the breakfast bar and I am really at a loss for which way to go. In the past, this would have been an easy choice (and I have been a Mini fan for a long time) - so this doesn't feel like progress to me...

Seems like a lot of money for a breakfast bar computer. You could stick a raspberry pi 2 on the back of a monitor for browsing web and remote to the MM if you need to.

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX
Seems like a lot of money for a breakfast bar computer. You could stick a raspberry pi 2 on the back of a monitor for browsing web and remote to the MM if you need to.

I want to be able to use Xcode while standing and away from my desk - so its either a Mini connected to two displays or something like a MBA connected to one display...

EDIT: Sorry I didn't notice where you said 'remote' into the mac mini. I have tried that with a chromebook and a windows laptop and did not like the experience. I decided I wanted to get a full mac computer in a different room. Thanks for the suggestion - if I was a normal rational person I would learn to like the experience...

Last edited:

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
I want to be able to use Xcode while standing and away from my desk - so its either a Mini connected to two displays or something like a MBA connected to one display...

EDIT: Sorry I didn't notice where you said 'remote' into the mac mini. I have tried that with a chromebook and a windows laptop and did not like the experience. I decided I wanted to get a full mac computer in a different room. Thanks for the suggestion - if I was a normal rational person I would learn to like the experience...

I'm particular like that too. I'm only just getting used to remote connections and virtual machines after several years of regular use.

Not much choice regarding the Mini, but at least for your tasks the base model should be able to do it (with an SSD added, of course!). The only thing about buying the base model is if you ever decide to do anything else with it later, you're stuck.

iFitzgerald

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
Ponta Delgada, Azores, Portugal
For me, Apple has completely killed the interest in a MM. Seriously, 1019€ for an i5 DUAL core @ 2.8GHz...that is simply ridiculous! Especially if you live in Portugal where the vast majority of people earn just a little bit more than half of that.

For a little less you can build a PC with an i5 QUAD core @ 3.5GHz, a 2Gb GTX750 TI that destroys that ridiculous Iris 5100 (seriously, not even an Iris Pro option...), a 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD combo (or just a single 500GB SSD) and a DVD Drive which the MM doesn't have anymore. And you get to replace any part that fails or that you want to upgrade by yourself and with a very large range of options.

I used to really really love Apple, but lately, not so much. Yosemite hasn't been great for me on my MBP, so much that I don't dare to put it on my iMac. I've been trying Windows 10 via Bootcamp and I'm actually liking it. Unless Apple does something really interesting in the future, I don't think my 2008 iMac will be replaced by any Mac at all...

Last edited:

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
For me, Apple has completely killed the interest in a MM. Seriously, 1019€ for an i5 DUAL core @ 2.8GHz...that is simply ridiculous! Especially if you live in Portugal where the vast majority of people earn just a little bit more than half of that.

For a little less you can build a PC with an i5 QUAD core @ 3.5GHz, a 2Gb GTX750 TI that destroys that ridiculous Iris 5100 (seriously, not even an Iris Pro option...), a 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD combo and a DVD Drive which the MM doesn't have anymore. And you get to replace any part that fails or that you want to upgrade by yourself and with a very large range of options.

I used to really really love Apple, but lately, not so much. Yosemite hasn't been great for me on my MBP, so much that I don't dare to put it on my iMac. I've been trying Windows 10 via Bootcamp and I'm actually liking it. Unless Apple does something really interesting in the future, I don't think my 2008 iMac will be replaced by any Mac at all...

I have been doing the same thing and using Linux in a VM. I can do every thing I need to do in any of the three OSs.

I really Like Win 10 but in the back of my mind I keep thinking Virus and Adware magnet.

I'm up in the air on what I'll do when Skylake comes out which will be my next upgrade.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Are new minis almost certainly coming on March 9th?

They could (broadwell chips available), but they probably won't.

I noticed last week that pretty much all of the reviews and materials on the '14 Mac Mini advise against buying one. Some of them go on to say they look to move away from Apple altogether as they don't seem to care about the desktop or professional/prosumer users anymore.

You'd think that some of this would incline Apple to take some action.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
They could (broadwell chips available), but they probably won't.

I noticed last week that pretty much all of the reviews and materials on the '14 Mac Mini advise against buying one. Some of them go on to say they look to move away from Apple altogether as they don't seem to care about the desktop or professional/prosumer users anymore.

You'd think that some of this would incline Apple to take some action.

Dunno what you have been reading. Most reviews of the 2014 Mac Mini that I have seen, while not being glowing, have been generally favourable.

Sure there has been the loss of being able to "upgrade" to 16 GB of RAM, but you can order up to 16 GB from the outset. It is hardly the biggie it was made out to be.

Sure there is the loss of the quad-core. It relevant to a relatively small contingent of power users, and the odd geek for whom having bragging rights the latest and greatest is important…. whether they really need it of not.

For the average Joe or Jill wanting to use OS X for hassle free day to day needs, the 2014 Mac Mini is an updated (if not upgraded), cost effective way to go.

Here's the verdict from Pocket-lint:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/131777-apple-mac-mini-late-2014-review-updated-if-not-upgraded

Verdict

The Mac mini has been changed in 2014: updated, if not upgraded. There are tweaks and changes, but the thing we notice most is that the Mac mini now feels like it's been moved out of the hands of those who like to tinker. Perhaps that's just our inner geek coming through, but it's now a case of getting what you pay for - buy now and stick with it into the future.

We still love what the Mac mini sets out to do. It's an elegant compact desktop computer that will slave your existing display and bring you into the Apple Mac world without breaking the bank. For those who only need basic computing and internet functions, we daresay the base model will be an attractive option at £399.

This isn't going to compete with the upper echelon iMac models, however, and that's perhaps the reason for Apple removing user access for upgrading after purchase. If you're looking for power, look to iMac. But if you're looking for a cute little Apple computer to handle your daily computing needs, then the Mac mini may still be it.

Here are some others:

http://www.cnet.com/products/apple-mac-mini-2014/

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2472063,00.asp

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/pc-mac-desktops/mac-mini-2014-1269587/review

The Mac Mini will, no doubt, continue to evolve and be updated from time to time. The new Mac Mini is almost certainly coming.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
....Sure there is the loss of the quad-core. It relevant to a relatively small contingent of power users, and the odd geek for whom having bragging rights the latest and greatest is important…. whether they really need it of not.

For the average Joe or Jill wanting to use OS X for hassle free day to day needs, the 2014 Mac Mini is an updated (if not upgraded), cost effective way to go. .....

Spending $1000 on a computer box that doesn't even have quad core in 2015 is pretty dismal, no matter how you look at it, especially if you plan on keeping it for 5+ years. My 2007 computer had it, and more and more software takes advantage of it.

The "average Joe or Jill" argument doesn't really say anything about the '14 MM or how it compares with previous models. Those people would do fine on nearly any computer or laptop in the last 6 years (more so if it has an SSD). That makes a brand new Mac Mini not so cost effective considering how much you spend just to get a mid-tier model without SSD.

I do acknowledge that it's a perfectly fine computer for most people, and I still even like it. But for the premium you pay for it, it's not exactly a bargain for basic users, while lacking the power to be much more than that.

There are good reviews (as it's still a good computer), but there seems to be a really mixed bag of reviews and more than enough bad ones to make the typical shopper less enthused about it. That's the nature of marketing; negativity has a much greater effect.

I just hope this is all a tide-over until a new design with the Broadwell chips comes out. One can dream. ;)

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Spending $1000 on a computer box that doesn't even have quad core in 2015 is pretty dismal, no matter how you look at it, especially if you plan on keeping it for 5+ years. My 2007 computer had it, and more and more software takes advantage of it.

The "average Joe or Jill" argument doesn't really say anything about the '14 MM or how it compares with previous models. Those people would do fine on nearly any computer or laptop in the last 6 years (more so if it has an SSD). That makes a brand new Mac Mini not so cost effective considering how much you spend just to get a mid-tier model without SSD.

I do acknowledge that it's a perfectly fine computer for most people, and I still even like it. But for the premium you pay for it, it's not exactly a bargain for basic users, while lacking the power to be much more than that.

There are good reviews (as it's still a good computer), but there seems to be a really mixed bag of reviews and more than enough bad ones to make the typical shopper less enthused about it. That's the nature of marketing; negativity has a much greater effect.

I just hope this is all a tide-over until a new design with the Broadwell chips comes out. One can dream. ;)

OS X is what makes a Mac.

That, along with a useful basic set of apps that come with iLife, and a generally hassle free computing experience is what folks pay for…. With a more modestly specced Mac Mini you can get that for quite a bit less than $1,000.

My early 2009 base Mini set me back more than a month's pay by the time I added iWork and MS Office for Mac (which I seldom use now). With an extra 4 GB of RAM and an OS X upgrade, it remains adequate for my average Joe needs, and will probably do so for a few more years.

Now I could get mid spec 2014 Mini for three weeks pay (the pittance I earn has not increased since 2007), and it comes with iWork installed at no extra cost….. and it should be good for at least as long as what I have now. It seems good value to me.

In the same time I have seen colleagues replace their el cheapo PCs at least a couple of times, and have deal with Windows loving nasties along the way.

New (updated, if not upgraded) Mac Minis will almost certainly continue to come….. and grunt seeking geeks will almost certainly continue to be dissatisfied!

funaroma

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2014
yeah but...

Yes, most people use the mac mini for such basic stuff that the *****ty downgrade they introduced means almost nothing to them. They get the solid apple garden, yadda yadda.

But the previous mac mini models catered to an additional crowd - one I'm sure is more silent, and probably not at all deadly. (1) Audio enthusiasts, home recording engineers, etc. who were not in a position to get a Mac Pro, and the thought of an iMac makes them cringe at the lack of customizability and the built in screen at too high a price (2) those who love computers for their ability to manipulate them to suit their exact needs, ideas and dreams, and (3) those who were leveraging them for their server capabilities - a concept around which a few hosting companies and others have literally built their business model.

To those folks, the most recent refresh is kind of an insult, and leaves them with the question of whether Apple really is headed towards just being a black-box sell-you-the-toaster-THEY-want-you-to-own vendor... in which case, screw that, they don't deserve their money (i'm sure they'll miss it... NOT) and on to hackintosh land.

AlfaLavala

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
Aberdeen, UK
With the recent announcement of the quad i7 broadwell NUC from intel, I'm quietly hopeful that the 2015 mac mini line up will feature this.

I've haven't looked into all the details to see if it'll suffer from the same issues as the Haswell line up which meant Apple had to chose between cheap or powerful, but I don't think there was an intel i7 NUC...if that means anything.

Last edited:

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
This Is Not A Quad Core i7

With the recent announcement of the quad i7 broadwell NUC from intel, I'm quietly hopeful that the 2015 mac mini line up will feature this.

I've haven't looked into all the details to see if it'll suffer from the same issues as the Haswell line up which meant Apple had to chose between cheap or powerful, but I don't think there was an intel i7 NUC...if that means anything.

Aren't the U series all dual core?

Yep, It seems that AlfaLavala saw i7 and thought quad core. It has better graphics but this NUC might not be a viable replacement for the 2014 mini. According to the comments section of the link, the flawed wireless card required replacement to achieve full WiFi/Bluetooth function.

AlfaLavala

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
Aberdeen, UK
My mistake.

I had originally seen the news on this site, which said quad core (also corrected by a commenter). I later found a better website to link but didn't read it properly.

The intel specs site shows dual core with hyperthreading.

I'll go back to quietly grumbling...or figuring out if I really need quad core anyway. I basically want an mid level iMac but without the screen as I already have a nice 27"!

Last edited:

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
My mistake.

I had originally seen the news on this site, which said quad core. I later found a better website to link but didn't read it properly.

The intel specs site shows dual core with hyperthreading.

I'll go back to quietly grumbling...or figuring out if I really need quad core anyway.

I don't think you will see a quad core until Skylake and those will probably not be available in the Mac Mini because of TDP.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Quite amazing how small the internal board is on the new 12" MacBook.

It made me wonder if Apple will be able to reduce the size of the Mac Mini into a miniature trashcan or smaller rectangular case.

It would sure be nice to get that and Broadwell.

mafaky

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
Quite amazing how small the internal board is on the new 12" MacBook.

It made me wonder if Apple will be able to reduce the size of the Mac Mini into a miniature trashcan or smaller rectangular case.

It would sure be nice to get that and Broadwell.

Technically it is possible to shrink the size of Mac Mini to a trashcan's size, provided that you remove the internal power supply and replace it with an outboard AC/DC power adapter.

But what about the I/O ports. Just an audio port, a HDMI port, two (to be generous) USB-C (3.1) ports? Even not an Ethernet port?

And then just think of some users who will start considering it as a pocket-book? So they will have a keyboard, a mouse and a display at home, and keep a similar set of peripherals plus a second AC/DC power adapter at work?Maybe even a Super Drive type thing?

Gosh, Apple will love such users!... ;):cool:

No, I'm not kidding! You can really (technically) shrink it if you are willing to pay all that extra money for the extra peripherals (and most of these peripherals may not be Apple ones, necessarily...)...

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Technically it is possible to shrink the size of Mac Mini to a trashcan's size, provided that you remove the internal power supply and replace it with an outboard AC/DC power adapter.

But what about the I/O ports. Just an audio port, a HDMI port, two (to be generous) USB-C (3.1) ports? Even not an Ethernet port?

And then just think of some users who will start considering it as a pocket-book? So they will have a keyboard, a mouse and a display at home, and keep a similar set of peripherals plus a second AC/DC power adapter at work?Maybe even a Super Drive type thing?

Gosh, Apple will love such users!... ;):cool:

No, I'm not kidding! You can really (technically) shrink it if you are willing to pay all that extra money for the extra peripherals (and most of these peripherals may not be Apple ones, necessarily...)...

It doesn't have to be that small, just thinking a trashcan or smaller form factor might be nice -- as well as Broadwell.

I wonder if/when we'll see the next Mac Mini.

I keep wanting to buy one but every time I go to price it out, I can't justify it. By the time you add an SSD, you're at $900 CAD. At that point, you might as well go for the more RAM and even CPU so that your $900 machine has a longer life. Of course, then it's north of $1100-$1300.

For a dual-core laptop nearly obsolete tech, effectively. The only consolation is that with the dollar as bad as it is, at least they haven't yet upped the prices on the minis.

Meanwhile, I upgraded my workhorse PC to i7 4790K (4.0 GHZ 4-core/8-thread) with 16 GB of RAM running at 2133 MHz and new motherboard+case for <$750 CAD (with existing 2GB graphics card and 240 GB SSD).

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
I would love mac mini with broadwell dual core/quad core and those HD 6000 and HD 6100 graphics

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.