Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tartin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2013
Sweden, Stockholm
I just bought Walking Dead S1 on Steam and installed it. As soon as I start the game my screen goes completely distorted. I took a print screen of it and uploaded it with this post as an attachment.

I'm running OS X 10.10 PB2 on a rMBP 15" Late 2013 with 750m dedicated video card.

I tried to switch to only use the Iris Pro with gfxCardStatus to see if it helps but that will only give me a completely black screen when I start the game.

I tried google to find a solution but couldn't.. Anyone else experienced this problem and found a fix?

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2014-08-28 kl. 13.44.09.png
    Skärmavbild 2014-08-28 kl. 13.44.09.png
    1 MB · Views: 626
Last edited:

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I just bought Walking Dead S1 on Steam and installed it. As soon as I start the game my screen goes completely distorted. I took a print screen of it and uploaded it with this post as an attachment.

I'm running OS X 10.10 PB2 on a rMBP 15" Late 2013 with 750m dedicated video card.

I tried to switch to only use the Iris Pro with gfxCardStatus to see if it helps but that will only give me a completely black screen when I start the game.

I tried google to find a solution but couldn't.. Anyone else experienced this problem and found a fix?

That picture looks synonymous with Logic Board failure ... however from what you described it's likely to be software. Try other graphic-intensive applications; does the issue persist?

I guess the easiest thing you can do at the moment is give your graphics card a quick run and see if the issues you're having are application-specific or across the board with graphics. If it's the latter, it's likely to either be a real graphics issue in PB2 or potentially hardware.

GPU-testing software here: http://www.geeks3d.com/gputest/

Tartin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2013
Sweden, Stockholm
That picture looks synonymous with Logic Board failure ... however from what you described it's likely to be software. Try other graphic-intensive applications; does the issue persist?

I guess the easiest thing you can do at the moment is give your graphics card a quick run and see if the issues you're having are application-specific or across the board with graphics. If it's the latter, it's likely to either be a real graphics issue in PB2 or potentially hardware.

GPU-testing software here: http://www.geeks3d.com/gputest/

Without having downloaded the GPU-testing software, I can tell you that I play CS:GO, X-Com EU, Simcity (the newest one), Diablo III and some other games that all uses the dedicated gpu without any issues at all.

So it should be a software issue like you were thinking, right? Perhaps from running the 10.10 PB2, too bad I didn't keep a copy of 10.9 installed to test it :( I do have bootcamp with Windows 8.1 installed, I've not tried to install the game there but I doubt there will be any problems playing from Windows. I'll get back with that soon enough, just gotta download it for windows first!

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Without having downloaded the GPU-testing software, I can tell you that I play CS:GO, X-Com EU, Simcity (the newest one), Diablo III and some other games that all uses the dedicated gpu without any issues at all.

So it should be a software issue like you were thinking, right? Perhaps from running the 10.10 PB2, too bad I didn't keep a copy of 10.9 installed to test it :( I do have bootcamp with Windows 8.1 installed, I've not tried to install the game there but I doubt there will be any problems playing from Windows. I'll get back with that soon enough, just gotta download it for windows first!

Ah, okay. Well the main thing is it's fine on other games so thankfully it's gotta be software -- better than the alternative :)

Hope it goes well. Might potentially be worth letting the game manufacturer know about the issue on DP2 and see if they're aware of it.

Tartin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2013
Sweden, Stockholm
As I suspected, the game works flawlessly running in Bootcamp on highest settings in 1920x1200. So it's an OS X issue.

I sent the developers an email, will get back to this thread with the answears from them if anyone else don't have any suggestions on how to fix it! :)

Tartin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2013
Sweden, Stockholm
I'll just post an update and say my problems are now solved! Apparently a lot of users with Retina-macs have been having this issue, kind of strange google doesn't give anything in this question.

Anyhow, for you who did google this error and found this thread, just press cmd+F to toggle into windowed mode and set correct resolution from there (I recommend 1440x900 for 15" retina MacBooks). After that, just press the same keystrokes again and you'll be good to go! :)

kioshi

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
Brazil
I'll just post an update and say my problems are now solved! Apparently a lot of users with Retina-macs have been having this issue, kind of strange google doesn't give anything in this question.

Anyhow, for you who did google this error and found this thread, just press cmd+F to toggle into windowed mode and set correct resolution from there (I recommend 1440x900 for 15" retina MacBooks). After that, just press the same keystrokes again and you'll be good to go! :)

I have a brand new Macbook retina 13 and no matter the resolution I set, I can't make the game work fullscreen. Although it works on widowed mode.

Walking Dead Season 2 works flawlessly btw.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.