Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bingefeller

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Northern Ireland
Hi guys

I've decided that I'm going to buy a small laptop for Linux. Ideally I'd like it to be under £200 and to have an 11" - 13" screen.

Any suggestions as to something which I can easily install a Linux distro on? I would be experimenting with different distros most likely before settling on something.

aaronvan

Suspended
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
Hi guys

I've decided that I'm going to buy a small laptop for Linux. Ideally I'd like it to be under £200 and to have an 11" - 13" screen.

Any suggestions as to something which I can easily install a Linux distro on? I would be experimenting with different distros most likely before settling on something.

Any inexpensive PC laptop will work just fine. I'm currently running FreeBSD on a 2006 HP Pavilion with 1GB RAM. I've had at least seven different GNU/Linux distros on it in the past and all ran fine. I'd pick-up something used if you're just using it to experiment and learn.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I think one of the nice things about using Linux is that you can install it on just about anything. If your goal is to find something inexpensive that will run Linux, you shouldn't have any trouble with just about any old laptop.

AX338

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2013
London
Hi guys

I tend to buy laptop from Ebay that are ex company Thinkpads that have been refurbed.

They are very well made...here is ONE for less than £180.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.