Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lawtech

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2015
I recently moved into an office building that shares Comcast internet among various offices. When I setup my airport extreme it automatically set to bridge mode -- something about assigning a unique IP address.

I get fast upload but slow download (15 mbps upload, 2 mbps download). When I plugin directly via ethernet cable there is no issue. So it's an airport extreme/wifi issue. Any fixes?

lawtech

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2015
To clarify the setup is: cable modem > main router > Airport extreme (Via ethernet)

eduardrw

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2013
To clarify the setup is: cable modem > main router > Airport extreme (Via ethernet)

your problem is most likely the WIFI connection between the AE and your computer.
If you use a MAC, option click on the WIFI icon in the menu bar to see the connection details. (remember the real world throughput is typically less than 50% of the transmission speed)

2.4 GHz WIFI only has 3 non overlapping channels which you share with other users around you - so you could have a crowded WIFI environment or interference from wireless phones, microwave, ....

I use a tool called " WIFI scanner" to see whats going on in my WIFI surroundings.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wifi-scanner/id411680127?mt=12

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.