Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
:rolleyes: Comments like this is why I hate you people on the internet... you know what he means but you have to play stupid... it's not the "newest" iPhone with all the newest features etc. But of course it needs to be spelled out for you... ugh... I hate you.

That was harsh.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
:rolleyes: Comments like this is why I hate you people on the internet... you know what he means but you have to play stupid... it's not the "newest" iPhone with all the newest features etc. But of course it needs to be spelled out for you... ugh... I hate you.

Heh, I was genuinely curious to know if AppleTecFan was implying, consciously or unconsciously, that the 5c isn't worthy of being called an iPhone.

Given the amount of vitriol spewed at the 5c because it's 'cheap' (ie the 16GB 5c was a mere 84.6% of the US$ price of the 16GB 5s at introduction; 86.6% at the 32GB capacity) and 'non premium' (ie a durable thermoplastic casing costing 18¢ to produce, versus at thin aluminium casing costing 31¢) I'd say it was a perfectly valid question on my part.

But have a nice day, all the same.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Firstly, the name "iPhone 6c", the pronunciation in Cantonese, six-c sounds like the translation of 'eat ****' in that dialect.

Next, if Apple really wants to do a 4 inch iPhone, the lineup can be "iPhone 6s mini", "iPhone 6s" and "iPhone 6s Plus".

In Mandarin the number four is pronounced "se" the same as the word for death but with a different tone. Didn't stop Apple from using the number 4.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
As services like ApplePay are the future of Apple's revenue stream I could certainly see them bringing in an entry level phone to get the service more widespread/adopted outside of the United States (AKA China) when launched.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
Firstly, the name "iPhone 6c", the pronunciation in Cantonese, six-c sounds like the translation of 'eat ****' in that dialect.

Next, if Apple really wants to do a 4 inch iPhone, the lineup can be "iPhone 6s mini", "iPhone 6s" and "iPhone 6s Plus".

& in English speaking countries it sounds like "sexy", soooooo.... my meaningless observation cancels yours out! =P

tentales

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2010
It might just be me but I thought the iPhone 5c was a bit of a failure. I don't see why they would bring it back

It is just you and others that have bought a premium 5S that like to look down on people that in their eyes "cannot afford" the premium price.

Facts show a different picture.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspe...myth-holds-an-ominous-warning-for-the-iwatch/
http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...ple-highest-growth-in-mid-range-iphone-market

I typed that as I waked to class. What I meant by said statement is some people cannot afford the "latest" iphone for a number of reasons and the 5C is a great alternative

Condescending statements like yours is why most of us "normal" Apple fans get hated on by the non-Apple crowd. I actually prefer the 5C for a number of other reasons that your ignorance would not tolerate.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Apple needs to keep a 4" phone around for users who prefer that size. Hopefully the iPhone 6c will be that phone. My wife's iPhone 5 is starting to have some weird battery issues and she has an upgrade available. It would be nice to get something with more longevity than the 5S while also being thinner. Otherwise RIP in pieces her tiny girl jeans. She gets so angry at Apple any time I mention upgrading her phone because she doesn't want a big phone but loves the iPhone.

I know there are others out there who agree—even tech saavy people like Gruber who miss the 4" iPhone form factor, and even some of my guy friends. If Apple doesn't address that market then they may end up in the same boat as they were before—but instead Android manufacturers will be making smaller phones, like the Galaxy S4 Mini that my youngest sister uses. I would think the 4" market is close to the size of the phablet market. They shouldn't ignore it.

Hopefully the iPhone 7 in 2016 will have 4", 5" and 6" sizes with tiny bezels. Keep it simple but have enough options to cover 95% of the market.

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2012
Here's it iPhone 6c+ in case anyone is interested to know how it looks like :)

7IxpjYu.png

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
My wife's iPhone 5 is starting to have some weird battery issues...

Do you know that Apple has a recall on some of the iPhone 5's due to a battery issue?

If the serial number of your wife's iPhone falls in a certain range, Apple will replace the battery free of charge.

Better hurry, however. I believe the recall ends March 1st.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Do you know that Apple has a recall on some of the iPhone 5's due to a battery issue?

If the serial number of your wife's iPhone falls in a certain range, Apple will replace the battery free of charge.

Better hurry, however. I believe the recall ends March 1st.

Thanks for the heads up as I'm not sure if I ever caught that. I put in her serial number and even though it was made during the proper time frame (we bought them at launch) it doesn't recognize her number as being affected.

--

If they don't come out with a 4" updated model then I supposed I'll get get her the 5S for cheap this autumn and hope that they come to their senses at some point in the future. Luckily she doesn't depend on her battery as much any more. She used to be on the road all the time. For now she gets by ok. She even wishes they would bring back the 3.5" model, haha.

One of the main reasons why she wants a smaller phone is because it fits in her pocket. Why doesn't she carry a purse? Because with a purse it's hard to feel the vibrations. Why doesn't she turn on the ringer? Because she runs her own daycare and loud sounds would wake up the kids during nap time, but she still has to take calls and texts from parents, confirm appointments at doctors, respond to email from our accountant, whatever. She doesn't want to have to carry a bag around to carry her phone. Second of all her hands aren't that big. I can sympathize as I have trouble wielding my Plus so I'll be downsizing. I can see her having similar problems reaching across the screen with her thumbs. She understandably gets mad that Apple hooked her into this ecosystem that she loves (iCloud, reminders, iTunes music, iTunes movies, Photo Stream of our kid shared with our families, the syncing of all her stuff between her iPhone and iPad, as well as her account on my rMBP that she occasionally uses) and then Apple pulled a bait and switch and stopped selling devices that she can use. That fit in her hands and pockets. I gave her my iPad Mini with a keyboard case to run her business stuff like Office so maybe she just needs a dumb phone and the iPad. One example though is how integrated we are. We have shared grocery lists, which is super convenient, but she's not going to carry around her iPad at the grocery store. And the iPhone has a better camera than the iPad. It just sucks for her all around what is happening with the demise of smaller devices. At first I thought she was being unreasonable but now I empathize.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
Thanks for the heads up as I'm not sure if I ever caught that. I put in her serial number and even though it was made during the proper time frame (we bought them at launch) it doesn't recognize her number as being affected.

--

If they don't come out with a 4" updated model then I supposed I'll get get her the 5S for cheap this autumn and hope that they come to their senses at some point in the future. Luckily she doesn't depend on her battery as much any more. She used to be on the road all the time. For now she gets by ok. She even wishes they would bring back the 3.5" model, haha.

One of the main reasons why she wants a smaller phone is because it fits in her pocket. Why doesn't she carry a purse? Because with a purse it's hard to feel the vibrations. Why doesn't she turn on the ringer? Because she runs her own daycare and loud sounds would wake up the kids during nap time, but she still has to take calls and texts from parents, confirm appointments at doctors, respond to email from our accountant, whatever. She doesn't want to have to carry a bag around to carry her phone. Second of all her hands aren't that big. I can sympathize as I have trouble wielding my Plus so I'll be downsizing. I can see her having similar problems reaching across the screen with her thumbs. She understandably gets mad that Apple hooked her into this ecosystem that she loves (iCloud, reminders, iTunes music, iTunes movies, Photo Stream of our kid shared with our families, the syncing of all her stuff between her iPhone and iPad, as well as her account on my rMBP that she occasionally uses) and then Apple pulled a bait and switch and stopped selling devices that she can use. That fit in her hands and pockets. I gave her my iPad Mini with a keyboard case to run her business stuff like Office so maybe she just needs a dumb phone and the iPad. One example though is how integrated we are. We have shared grocery lists, which is super convenient, but she's not going to carry around her iPad at the grocery store. And the iPhone has a better camera than the iPad. It just sucks for her all around what is happening with the demise of smaller devices. At first I thought she was being unreasonable but now I empathize.

I wouldn't be interested in the iPhone PLUS, but as of now, I'll likely replace my current 5S and 5C with a 6S and 6C.. it's a great solution for someone that likes having two phone lines on separate devices with them at all times.

William Gates

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
When iPhone 5C was released alongside the iPhone 5S, it had the internals of the outgoing iPhone 5. There's no reason to expect an iPhone 6C to have anything less than the iPhone 6 internals, and iPhone 6 would be discontinued in lieu of the iPhone 6C.

----------

The iPhone 5C was in no sense a "failure".

I see the new "C" model replacing the 5S and staying at the $0 on contract price.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
I see the new "C" model replacing the 5S and staying at the $0 on contract price.

Only if they deviate from what they did in 2013. In 2013 they didn't make the 5C based on the 4S.
Why do you think it would be any different this time around?

The 5C has the internals of the 5 with a polycarbonate case. Why wouldn't the 6C (if manufactured) have the internals of the iPhone 6 with a polycarbonate case?

In 2013 Apple did continue to make available the 4S as the $0 on contract price; my hunch is that they will (if they continue past history) keep the existing 5S on that basis as you suggest above, but there would still be room for the 6C at a lower than 6S price point.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
Why do you think it would be any different this time around?
Why do you think it would be the same?

I don't think a single 'c' model release creates a set-in-stone precedent.

My money would be on the '6c' actually being a '5sc', ie a polycarbonate-packaged 5s with (perhaps) one or two minor improvements. If not, then either the 5s will stay in production or there'll be a new '6s mini'. There's definitely a pent-up demand for a 4" iPhone.

For how many generations has Apple offered a 'free' phone with contract? It's obviously something Apple feels they need to offer – there's no other explanation for the existence of the 5c 8GB – but I'm having difficulty envisaging there being a no cost model once the 6s is introduced. A 5s 8GB fits the bill, of course!

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
Why do you think it would be the same?

I don't think a single 'c' model release creates a set-in-stone precedent.

My money would be on the '6c' actually being a '5sc', ie a polycarbonate-packaged 5s with (perhaps) one or two minor improvements. If not, then either the 5s will stay in production or there'll be a new '6s mini'. There's definitely a pent-up demand for a 4" iPhone.

For how many generations has Apple offered a 'free' phone with contract? It's obviously something Apple feels they need to offer – there's no other explanation for the existence of the 5c 8GB – but I'm having difficulty envisaging there being a no cost model once the 6s is introduced. A 5s 8GB fits the bill, of course!

There's not enough difference in size between the 5 and 6 to update the smaller form factor on that basis.

No, my scenario makes more sense for the same reasons it made sense in 2013.

As far as why would it be the same? You would have to make an affirmative case in favor for altering what they did in 2013. Presuming it would change as opposed to following precedent requires justification beyond "a lot of people want the smaller size"

As I stated above, I would expect the continued 5S at $0 on contract to fill that role. The 6C would be the current iPhone 6 with a polycarbonate body.

So these phones will be available later this year; the all new iPhone 6S, the iPhone 6C, at reduced price compared to 6S, (iPhone 6 with polycarbonate body) and the iPhone 5S which would be free with contract

[I'm leaving open the possibility that there will be an iPhone 6C PLUS along with the iPhone 6S PLUS]

We'll just have to wait and see who's prediction is correct.

William Gates

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
There's not enough difference in size between the 5 and 6 to update the smaller form factor on that basis.

No, my scenario makes more sense for the same reasons it made sense in 2013.

As far as why would it be the same? You would have to make an affirmative case in favor for altering what they did in 2013. Presuming it would change as opposed to following precedent requires justification beyond "a lot of people want the smaller size"

As I stated above, I would expect the continued 5S at $0 on contract to fill that role. The 6C would be the current iPhone 6 with a polycarbonate body.

So these phones will be available later this year; the all new iPhone 6S, the iPhone 6C, at reduced price compared to 6S, (iPhone 6 with polycarbonate body) and the iPhone 5S which would be free with contract

[I'm leaving open the possibility that there will be an iPhone 6C PLUS along with the iPhone 6S PLUS]

We'll just have to wait and see who's prediction is correct.

Why, so we can point and laugh at the other and say I was right, you were wrong?

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
Why, so we can point and laugh at the other and say I was right, you were wrong?
I'll be covering my bases by offering a different (but equally compelling) analysis of the future iPhone range in all such threads. There will be lots of threads. There will be lots of predictions. One of them might even be correct.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.