Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tiartrop

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
I brought my phone (6+) to Genius Bar today for unresponsive button, so they brought it to the back to open it up and had it checked, etc.

When I removed the case to clean it tonight, I noticed now the phone has a gash near the charging port. :( most likely caused by the tools they're using, I thought they'd be more careful when handling the phone.

I'm not happy since I only have the phone for less than a month.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? Is there anything I can do? I have an AppleCare+, I'm thinking about ringing them up so see what they're gonna say about it. It disappoints me because I paid so much to this only to have them damage the phone, sighs...

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
I brought my phone (6+) to Genius Bar today for unresponsive button, so they brought it to the back to open it up and had it checked, etc.

When I removed the case to clean it tonight, I noticed now the phone has a gash near the charging port. :( most likely caused by the tools they're using, I thought they'd be more careful when handling the phone.

I'm not happy since I only have the phone for less than a month.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? Is there anything I can do? I have an AppleCare+, I'm thinking about ringing them up so see what they're gonna say about it. It disappoints me because I paid so much to this only to have them damage the phone, sighs...

Pics of your gash before I respond.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I noticed now the phone has a gash near the charging port. :( most likely caused by the tools they're using, I thought they'd be more careful when handling the phone
Your only option is to bring it back to apple and state your case (firmly and politely).

Pics of your gash before I respond.
What's that going to prove? a phone with a scratch. Why not be helpful and respond if you have any suggestions?

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
Your only option is to bring it back to apple and state your case (firmly and politely).

What's that going to prove? a phone with a scratch. Why not be helpful and respond if you have any suggestions?

LOOOOLZ. I always enjoy reading your posts. Why isn't it helpful? If we can all see how bad this scratch is we can give a better response to how the Apple Genius (geek) will respond.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Here's a case where Genius in the thread title sounds disparaging. :)

Like using Sherlock or Einstein as a pejorative. :D

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
LOOOOLZ. I always enjoy reading your posts. Why isn't it helpful? If we can all see how bad this scratch is we can give a better response to how the Apple Genius (geek) will respond.

You mean other then saying bringing to apple. Seeing the scratch has no bearing on the advise. It just falls along with the posting type of pics or didn't happen mentality.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
You should havce brought it to the attention of the Geek that the phone is in perfect condition and then checked when you got it back.

Now at the mercy of Apple:apple:

Yep this is what my genius bar did, he inspected my phone to check for any physical damages and did a line test to see if the phone is bent or not. Because they want to make sure you will receive the phone in the condition as it was in before it went in for a repair.

When I get my phone back from the genius after the phone is repaired I always inspect the phone before I sign the paperwork to make sure that it was in the same condition that it was in before it went in for a repair. If it pass then I will sign it.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Yep this is what my genius bar did, he inspected my phone to check for any physical damages and did a line test to see if the phone is bent or not. Because they want to make sure you will receive the phone in the condition as it was in before it went in for a repair.

When I get my phone back from the genius after the phone is repaired I always inspect the phone before I sign the paperwork to make sure that it was in the same condition that it was in before it went in for a repair. If it pass then I will sign it.

This has always happened to me too..... every single time I've gone to the Apple store.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
You mean other then saying bringing to apple. Seeing the scratch has no bearing on the advise. It just falls along with the posting type of pics or didn't happen mentality.
Yes it does. If it's a hairline scratch that can only be seen in a certain light, the type of response/reaction would be different than if there was a huge gash that is clearly visible.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yes it does. If it's a hairline scratch that can only be seen in a certain light, the type of response/reaction would be different than if there was a huge gash that is clearly visible.

Not if the hairline scratch was bothering the OP and he wanted it fixed since it was caused by the genius. Small, medium or large, the OP wants it corrected since it was caused by apple.

I don't see how one member can say I'm withholding a response until I see a picture and that has a bearing on being helpful when clearly the OP has two options.
1. Live with it (regardless if its small or large)
2. Take it to apple and argue his case.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
When I got my 4S back in 2011, the genius opened it up in front of me, took off the plastic protectors and placed it on the table and then slid it around a little while he was setting things up, I was like WTF dude, ever since then I get my iPhones shipped to me.

Yesterday I had a genius appt (got a blue screen a few times followed by reboots) when the genius had me take off my case he saw my original 6 still had the back plastic on under the case, when he swapped and unboxed my new 6, he left the protectors on and handed it to me and said "take off the plastic before you case it, it could overheat with that plastic on". So the genius noticed how pristine my original one was and took the care to hand me my phone without ripping off the plastic and setting it down on a table naked. AND gave me the tip on overheating.

Would suck if a genius damaged your phone, especially if it was something so minor that made you feel like an ass to ask for a replacement. But if the damage was indeed caused by the genius, I totally respect the OPs wish to get a replacement. I would never want my new phone taken apart and tinkered with by an Apple employee. I trust they know what they're doing but accidents happen and damage surely will come when taking these things apart. Luckily any time I have had an issue with any of my iPhones the geniuses have just swapped it with hardly any questions (had to swap my 4S too).

Besides the minor incident when purchasing my 4S, I've only had good experiences at the Apple store, I have heard horror stories, but if youre cool and respectful, they treat you very well. Thats one thing that really sets Apple apart, not only the great products, but the customer service.

Last edited:

wproct

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
Iowa
My vote is for calling them, or better yet taking it in for them to see. Will be interesting to hear what they have to say. Please let us know the outcome.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
If you are persistent enough, you should be able to get it fixed. I would try the phone line and say you no longer trust that store. It's best if you have the name of the genius.

Honestly, I feel for you. If it bothers you enough, be persistent.

tiartrop

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
OP here, thanks for the responses guys, I called up AppleCare and the store, and they pretty much said the same thing: bring it back so they can inspect it. The AppleCare person seemed happy to provide me with a replacement but since I live pretty close to Apple Stores he'd thought I'd get it replaced quicker there.

So I just made a quick trip there, talked to a few people, they had a look at it and gave me a replacement right away, it's much easier than I thought it'd be, honestly, I didn't even have to argue or anything. They gave me a whitebox (refurbished?) unit, not sure if it's brand new or not but I'm pretty happy since this one also doesn't have the misaligned wobbly mute button that my previous one has, which is the reason why I brought the phone there originally.

Funny, I wasn't given any paperwork at all, they just brought it to the back for inspection, makes me wonder what's actually happening there in the back.

tiartrop

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
For the curious eyes, here's the pic for reference. It's not a hairline scratch, it's more like it's been pricked by something sharp, it felt rough and I could see the silver part underneath it. I did find the hairline scratch just below it though, under the sunlight, otherwise it's not visible.

Attachments

• IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    464.7 KB · Views: 722

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
For the curious eyes, here's the pic for reference. It's not a hairline scratch, it's more like it's been pricked by something sharp, it felt rough and I could see the silver part underneath it. I did find the hairline scratch just below it though, under the sunlight, otherwise it's not visible.

Ouch, yea those scratches really show on the gold!

I would've wanted a replacement too! Glad you got a new one and it was painless. As I said in my earlier response, I've had nothing but good experiences at the Apple store, I had an issue with 4S, they swapped it in minutes, the one they gave me had a misaligned and crooked sim tray that wasnt sitting flush with the band, I brought it in the next day, they gave it a quick examine and they swapped immediately. Yesterday when I brought my 6 in for the occasional blue screen and reboot, I was in and out of there in 10 mins with a new iPhone 6.

I hate that the finish seems pretty susceptible to damage, when I see a naked iPhone 6 I cringe.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
OP here, thanks for the responses guys, I called up AppleCare and the store, and they pretty much said the same thing: bring it back so they can inspect it. The AppleCare person seemed happy to provide me with a replacement but since I live pretty close to Apple Stores he'd thought I'd get it replaced quicker there.

So I just made a quick trip there, talked to a few people, they had a look at it and gave me a replacement right away, it's much easier than I thought it'd be, honestly, I didn't even have to argue or anything. They gave me a whitebox (refurbished?) unit, not sure if it's brand new or not but I'm pretty happy since this one also doesn't have the misaligned wobbly mute button that my previous one has, which is the reason why I brought the phone there originally.

Funny, I wasn't given any paperwork at all, they just brought it to the back for inspection, makes me wonder what's actually happening there in the back.

Glad it worked out for you. Congrats!!!:)

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
I knew Apple would handle it well. I've had nothing but helpful visits for problems and it is why I always get my phones at Apple directly.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
By the way, I do believe the white box iPhone 6 replacement you got is brand new. I'm pretty sure they have new iPhones without accessories (cube, cord and buds) ready for swaps. I don't think you got a refurbished one. I got mine swapped yesterday as well with a white box iPhone 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.