Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robert Mac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2015
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro, I just swapped out the drive with a 500GB SSD, Samsung 850 EVO. To prep for the swap, I used a SATA/IDE to USB adaptor and SuperDuper to back up the drive to the SSD. Followed the steps and swapped drives, when I boot up with the new drive I get the chime, grey screen and Apple logo, then the laptop completely shuts off. I reinstalled the old drive just to make sure I didn't break anything and it boots up fine. Next I used the USB adaptor to connect the SSD drive, restarted the unit holding the option key, tried to boot from the external SSD, same result, grey screen, Apple logo then it shuts down.

What should I do next? Is it a possible defective SSD?

Thanks.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro, I just swapped out the drive with a 500GB SSD, Samsung 850 EVO. To prep for the swap, I used a SATA/IDE to USB adaptor and SuperDuper to back up the drive to the SSD. Followed the steps and swapped drives, when I boot up with the new drive I get the chime, grey screen and Apple logo, then the laptop completely shuts off. I reinstalled the old drive just to make sure I didn't break anything and it boots up fine. Next I used the USB adaptor to connect the SSD drive, restarted the unit holding the option key, tried to boot from the external SSD, same result, grey screen, Apple logo tit a hen it shuts down.

What should I do next? Is it a possible defective SSD?

Thanks.

Either your hard drive is defective or your copy isn't bootable for some reason. I'd format the hard drive as HFS Journaled then try to copy stuff over again to rule that possibility out.

Robert Mac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2015
I think I did format the hard drive as HFS Journaled in the beginning, but I guess I will erase it then do it over to see if there's any difference.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.