Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xultar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2010
So, it's been what now...6 months since the 6 plus release.

Are any of you using reachability? I thought I'd use it non stop. But I'm finding I can navigate the 6 plus 90% of the time one handed. I never use reachability. If reachability is activated I do it on accident.

What do you think of the feature after 6 months?

Last edited:

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
The only time I use it is when I accidentally activate it. lol. Otherwise, no, I never use it. My wife (super small hands) never uses hers on her 6+ either.

Xultar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2010
No, I don't use either. Thought I might do but no.

I thought I was going to use it too. It was a great selling point for those hesitant to take on the plus due to size. I guess they felt they needed to provide some security for people that thought the phone was too big.

----------

I never use it.

Did you disable it?

----------

The only time I use it is when I accidentally activate it. lol. Otherwise, no, I never use it. My wife (super small hands) never uses hers on her 6+ either.

Did you or your wife disable it? I'm asking because I'm thinking of disabling it. I don't use it and I don't like it when I activate it accidentally.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Mine isn't disabled and I've never once activated it accidentally, but if you don't ever need it then just switch it off.

Xultar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2010
Mine isn't disabled and I've never once activated it accidentally, but if you don't ever need it then just switch it off.

I'm conflicted because I don't like it when I activate it accidentally but I like the security of it being enabled.

I know...strange, but I think that's what made it such a smart function to include on their first large phone. They knew people moving to it would want that security is pretty smart on their part.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Did you or your wife disable it? I'm asking because I'm thinking of disabling it. I don't use it and I don't like it when I activate it accidentally.

No, didn't even think to do that.... now that you mention it, I'm going to disable it right now. :) But to answer your question, no, neither of us have.

studIOS5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Oregon, OH
Man! I must have a different comfortable hold on my phone than you guys do! I'm 6 foot 4 inches tall and have above average sized hands and I use reachability every day on my iPhone 6. I mostly use it when my arm is being held captive by my spouse and I have to reach things.

Xultar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2010
Man! I must have a different comfortable hold on my phone than you guys do! I'm 6 foot 4 inches tall and have above average sized hands and I use reachability every day on my iPhone 6. I mostly use it when my arm is being held captive by my spouse and I have to reach things.

I'm a woman...so even with average lady hands even if I used reachability one handed I still can't get to the far side of my phone regardless of the hand I use. To compensate I arranged my FUI (frequently used icons) on the right side of the phone.

As for captivity by one's spouse... I believe we can discuss that in a post in another forum. (But let's be sure we discuss it. I'm looking for details!)

----------

No, didn't even think to do that.... now that you mention it, I'm going to disable it right now. :) But to answer your question, no, neither of us have.

I disabled mine just now too. See if knowing its off impacts me in anyway.

studIOS5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Oregon, OH
I'm a woman...so even with average lady hands even if I used reachability one handed I still can't get to the far side of my phone regardless of the hand I use. To compensate I arranged my FUI (frequently used icons) on the right side of the phone.

As for captivity by one's spouse... I believe we can discuss that in a post in another forum. (But let's be sure we discuss it. I'm looking for details!)

----------

Haha gotcha. So basically none of you guys use reachability because theres no way reachability would help you? Its extremely helpful to me

Xultar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2010
Haha gotcha. So basically none of you guys use reachability because theres no way reachability would help you? Its extremely helpful to me

What's with the haha gotcha?

Just because it's helpful to you it doesn't mean it's helpful to others.

I thought I would use it. I found that I don't need it. That's not a bad thing.

Also not needing it doesn't mean that it isn't helpful or can't be helpful. I and others just choose not to use it.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
I actually use it quite often. At least once or twice everyday/every other day. Pretty much only use it for safari though, everything else with controls at the top are pretty much just things with a back button (like in settings or messages) and I can just use the back gesture for that, so.

Overall, it's a nice feature. Not many use it though. Had to turn it off on my friends iPhone 6 because he had no idea why the screen kept jumping down and it was greatly annoying him apparently lol.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas

Same with me. I use it all the time on my 6 with apps where the back button is in the top left corner. I couldn't imagine getting to that corner one handed on a 6plus, then again my thumbs are pretty short compared to most men that are 6 ft 3.

Shikaka

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
I can think of so many better things that Apple could have used the double touch function for, other than reachability. At least make it user customizable. C'mon Apple!

gewawd

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2013
Asia
Same with me. I use it all the time on my 6 with apps where the back button is in the top left corner. I couldn't imagine getting to that corner one handed on a 6plus, then again my thumbs are pretty short compared to most men that are 6 ft 3.

Your not using iOS's swipe gestures?

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
I only use the double tap reachability because of the tweak "ReachApp" on Cydia which essentially allows for multi-tasking, dual windows running simultaneously. This is on my 6 however. So I'm glad it exists :)

If I had a 6+ not sure if I would actually use it either, I've handled my friends 6+ and it wasn't too hard for me to navigate one handed and reach, however I could see certain circumstances where it may be useful and of course, owning one would be a lot different, so I cant comment on its usefulness. One of those features that you appreciate or you dont appreciate, but it's nice that Apple included it anyway, and as someone pointed out, you can disable this if you wanted.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
I use it all the time because I use my plus one handed most of the time. I think it's a great feature after you get accustomed to using it.

I even find myself instinctively trying to use it on my wife's 5S!!

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
I have always used my prior iPhones with 2 hands like I do with my old HP business calculator. Same with 6 plus. It seldom occurs to me to use reach ability. That's even after having fine-tuned my app positions to take advantage of one-handed use.

identity

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2011
I can think of so many better things that Apple could have used the double touch function for, other than reachability. At least make it user customizable. C'mon Apple!

Jailbreakers have already customized and improved reachability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.