Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperBrown

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Hollywoodland
The silent minority

I'm one of the few who really dislikes the sizes of both the 6 and 6+. I upgraded from a 4 to a 6 and I very much miss being able to reach the entirety of my screen with just my thumb. (No, the double tap to bring the screen down halfway is not a good compromise.) I get the allure of the bigger screen size, but if I need more real estate then that's what my iPad is for. I want a phone, not a phablet. I want to be able to physically multitask by doing something with one hand and handle my phone with the other. I was tempted to get a 5s, but if I was going to upgrade from a 4 I wasn't going to get last year's tech. Battery life has also never been a problem for me even when I had the 4. And now with iOS8 & Yosemite I can take calls and send texts straight from my laptop or iPad, thus my phone sits in my pocket a lot more these days.

TL;DR I want all the features of a 6/6+ in the body of a 4 or 5. But that's me.

el-toro

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2014
Love the 6 Plus...Hate the Pain

LOOOOVE my 6 Plus. Battery life is insane, screen is beautiful, easy to read, movies and photos look great, and the camera is awesome. However, I'm pretty sure this larger phone has given me De Quervain syndrome so I've got a lot of pain in my thumb tendon on my right hand. Never had issues like this before with my 5S or any other phone. Seriously considering a move to the 6 for something a little more manageable. My wife has the 6 so I might swap with her for a month as a test.

MacHead84

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2013
I am a guest in the land of smiles
I have my iPhone 6 Plus since December and the battery is (finally) amazing :)
I wrote an article on an online computer magazine that to achieve a long and powerful life of your Battery always keep it between 30% and 80%. (If it is down to 30% charge it one time up to 80%) No multiply short charging periods. That will hurt your Battery.
It's has something to do with the lithium cells. Somehow they work best and for a long time in this way.
So far I can't complain.

Seoras

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Scotsman in New Zealand
Easy on the eyes

I got the 6Plus because my eye sight has deteriorated badly in the last 5 years.
I'm now at an age where reading glasses are essential.
I was struggling to read messages and emails on my 5S.
On the 6Plus it's just a joy to read from with no glasses on.

Sean006

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2008
I switched from the 6 to the plus last Friday. 4 days later I'm sold. Love it. Size is awesome. 6 now looks like a toy to me

Only thing I'm not seeing such great battery life that you all talk about. With my 6 I would go 24 hours still have about 20 left.

6 plus I'm on 24 hrs with 36 left. That's nothing to brag about.
Anyone think I have a bad one ?

I'm afraid to pick it up otherwise it ticks down. I will def never get 2 days

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I switched from the 6 to the plus last Friday. 4 days later I'm sold. Love it. Size is awesome. 6 now looks like a toy to me

Only thing I'm not seeing such great battery life that you all talk about. With my 6 I would go 24 hours still have about 20 left.

6 plus I'm on 24 hrs with 36 left. That's nothing to brag about.
Anyone think I have a bad one ?

I'm afraid to pick it up otherwise it ticks down. I will def never get 2 days

Which version of iOS are you running?
I used to get 11-12 hours of usage time but now barely scrape 10, not sure why.

Matheew944

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2015
I was using my iphone 6 Plus , 2 days without recharge, have been using it a lot..... still 45% battery, almost 8 hours of usage.Played killer games , surfed on safari, watched vídeos, streaming, .loved the battery.....

celloman

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2007
I've been trying to investigate the best way to switch from an iPhone 6 to 6 Plus. I don't want to lose a lot of money in the upgrade. Should I return it to the Apple Store and pay a restocking fee or keep scouring Craigslist for that perfect trade (gb, carrier, color)?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I've been trying to investigate the best way to switch from an iPhone 6 to 6 Plus. I don't want to lose a lot of money in the upgrade. Should I return it to the Apple Store and pay a restocking fee or keep scouring Craigslist for that perfect trade (gb, carrier, color)?

If you're within your return period, there is no restocking fee.

byke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
Nice phone, but too big for what I need.
I would rather have a thicker phone with good battery life and less bezel.

My iPhone 6 bent / warped by just taking off a stiff case.

cain772

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2014
San Diego, California
I'm not sure how some iPhone 6 Plus user are getting over a day with heavy use. I get at about 18 % by the time I get home at 10 pm or so. That's with me having less than half brightness. I am a really heavy user with no access to free wifi or charging outlets. I mostly listen to audiobooks and podcasts on my iPhone 6+. Also the placement of the power button is badly placed. Other than that I am liking the screen size.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The 6 has around the same battery life as the 5s, which IMO is not good enough. My mates that have the 6 are putting their phones on the charger about mid day, walking through my office at work is proof of that.
The 6 is a lot better than the 5S in my experience for battery life so I have a difference of opinion there. Your mates must be watching a lot of videos and streaming music pretty consistently for a charge being needed around midday. Even then I can't believe the battery can be completely gone within a few hours. Our office has people charging there phones on their desks but that is more out of habit than need because its simply convenient. They are not all iPhone's either. I personally don't take my charger into work because they have to be PAT tested and I don't want a big yellow tag on a lead than I will also use at home.

I talk on my phone for around 3 hours a day on average and listen to Spotify, send emails, take pictures for clients etc and the phone is rarely on less than 20% by 9pm at night. I get up for work at 5.45am too. Perhaps I have been lucky with a battery that is better than all your mates have got?

doctorwhofan98

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2014
England, UK
I'd love to have an iPhone 6 Plus for the battery benefits, but it's just too big! My iPhone 6 barely fits into some of my pockets as it is, so a 6 Plus definitely wouldn't fit.

businezguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
Yeah, to me the iPhone 6 plus is the best iPhone yet. I was disappointed with the release of the iPhone 5. I felt the screen was too small. The 6 plus is the biggest improvement over a previous generation to date. I just wish I could have the keyboard the way it was with my 5S.

Mustarinho

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2015
I have 6 plus for two days now. In my first day I noticed that the battery drained so fast in about 4 hours, i looked in the internet then I did a reset settings, it became better and lasted about 14 hrs -see the attachment- I used it moderates usage almost social networks with wifi on. In my second cycle now i noticed that the first 10% drained in about two and half hours and the next 10% In about an hour. Is that normal or I should do itunes restore.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 72

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I have 6 plus for two days now. In my first day I noticed that the battery drained so fast in about 4 hours, i looked in the internet then I did a reset settings, it became better and lasted about 14 hrs -see the attachment- I used it moderates usage almost social networks with wifi on. In my second cycle now i noticed that the first 10% drained in about two and half hours and the next 10% In about an hour. Is that normal or I should do itunes restore.

It's normal and in fact you are getting exceptional battery life.
My first 10% gives me 1:20, and then I get less than an hour for each subsequent 10%. The final 10% gives me half an hour and in total I am lucky to get 10 hours of usage.

Mustarinho

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2015
It's normal and in fact you are getting exceptional battery life.
My first 10% gives me 1:20, and then I get less than an hour for each subsequent 10%. The final 10% gives me half an hour and in total I am lucky to get 10 hours of usage.

Thanks for your quick reply, I posted that because I saw some people who have about 20 hrs of usage :D and I'm like what the heck, how r they getting it

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Thanks for your quick reply, I posted that because I saw some people who have about 20 hrs of usage :D and I'm like what the heck, how r they getting it

They probably listen to music and do very little else.
Up to 10 hours is the norm for heavy use, with 10-12 being what most users get.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
How are you guys switching from a 6 to 6+? I've tried to find a trade on Craigslist but no luck.

I went to the Apple Store bought an unlocked 64GB 6 Plus for $99 upfront using T-Mobile EIP financing. I then paid the remaining balance on my iPhone 6 128GB, got it unlocked, and sold it on Amazon for $750.

barrikade

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2015
I was using my iphone 6 Plus , 2 days without recharge, have been using it a lot..... still 45% battery, almost 8 hours of usage.Played killer games , surfed on safari, watched vídeos, streaming, .loved the battery.....

My god man...that is truly amazing battery life. I have read about others on this thread and forum with similar battery life situations.

Which keeps making me wonder what's wrong with my 6+. I consider myself a moderate user during a typical weekday. Groupme, Whatsapp, FB messenger, iMessage, FB, Email are what I use. Everything else has notifications turned off, app background refresh is turned off, brightness is usually under 40%, location services are off, all email accounts are set to manual fetch except for 1 that's set to push, reduce motion is on, NOT using a dynamic wallpaper, app store automatic updates disabled, turned off all but 2 things in spotlight search.

Even with all that, I can only get 1 full day of moderate use. I unplug from the charger in the morning around 7 and then by bedtime around 11, I'll have around 20% left. How did you go 2 days under heavy use AND still have 45% left? Something must be wrong with my phone...

rodknocker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2011
Just upgraded too! Love the long battery life. Do you feel the vibration is alot louder compared to the 6?

Yes, it's indeed louder, but after 1-2 days you feel the louder and stronger vibration is even better then the vibration from the iPhone 6

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.