Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

comda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Greetings Macrumors,

Recently in class ive noticed some students computer screens have different colors in temperature. Their screens change as the day progresses. This is a program called F.Lux. Can someone that is using this application tell me if its worth the cost? Ive read that it has to do with eyes and the strain that screens give. Im using a macbook 3,1 with snow leopard and want to know if this will benefit me?

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
It's a free app. You can grab it here.

I used it on my iPhone 4s and 5c the whole time I had them. They never finished their Android port though. I also used it on my MacBook for quite some time. I just never reinstalled it since I got my rMBP.

It's a personal preference kind of thing. But it's useful at night. Less blue light (wavelength keeps brain awake more than a warmer color temp), and it's less blinding should you need to check something in the night.

Wish I could have it on my 6 Plus, but it came with 8.1.3 when I got it used.

Should work fine on your MacBook. I had it on my Late '08 back in the Leopard and Snow Leopard days.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
I like it on my MacBook Pro, but hate it on my iPhone. It really does make a big difference in screen color and intensity. Just remember to disable it if you're using anything like Photoshop, or your colors will be off.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I tried it, liked the concept, but had some funky scrolling artifacts that made my eyes feel like they were being pulled out of my head.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
I used to use it all the time, the change is so gradual it gives your eyes plenty of time to adjust. It's pretty good.

I don't use it anymore since I bought a screen calibration device, it would kind of defeat the purpose.

crazyxzer0

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2008
It's a great app for softing the whites.

I have it set to disable for specific apps like photo apps and VLC.

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
I had it running but quit using it recently because it causes my rMBP to revert to Regular Mode from Dark Mode when I restarted and often when waking the computer from sleep mode. Not a big deal but annoying. Also, I rarely compute at night anymore so it really was very useful.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Used it for years. I highly recommend it for working late at night or in a really dark room.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.