Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Soon? New Macbook Airs and Broadwell Macbook Pros are due soon too (and in the case of the Macbook Air, the components are ready.) Could be wanting to do a single event, but it's definitely not the only update MIA.

I still would not expect Thunderbolt 3 or a Retina 5k display this round. Maybe Apple will hold updates until they can get a Retina 5k display, but that seems insanely foolish.

ManuelGomes

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 4, 2014
Aveiro, Portugal
I guess the stars are not aligned yet.
Apple seems to be distracted from the computing world already, other products are catching people's attention and seem to have priority.
Not that Macs aren't profitable, they must be, but people buy them anyway so why bother updating a product that sells well, even if not latest tech.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Sm951 for Apple already here.

Got one here that I will send barefeats.

If you read the PCIE NGFFthread you will see that they are already appearing in the wild.

Sadly in nMP they are held back by PCIE 2.0

ManuelGomes

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 4, 2014
Aveiro, Portugal
Maybe they announce everything at the same time in June, at the WWDC.
nMP + nTBD, nMBA, nMBP, iPhone 7/6S, iPad, iOS9, OS X 10.11, the works....
Even the iCar or AppleCar, or whatever.
A Mega Event!!

----------

Yes, I know.
Have you tested one?
Too bad we only get PCIe 3.0 in MacPro in a couple of years.

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
http://semiaccurate.com/2013/12/30/nvidia-lose-apple-macpro-line/
1. GCN is the most power efficient GPU architecture on the planet right now.
2. Nvidia is not willing to produce semi-custom GPUs, the way Apple wants them to be.
3. AMD is more "open to world" than Nvidia.
4. AMD has brighter future than Nvidia.
5. http://semiaccurate.com/2013/12/02/nvidia-exits-another-major-market-segment/ Double Precision Units.
Yeah, I've noticed the "Future" rarely shows up as expected.

I've got work top do today.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
I guess the stars are not aligned yet.
Apple seems to be distracted from the computing world already, other products are catching people's attention and seem to have priority.
Not that Macs aren't profitable, they must be, but people buy them anyway so why bother updating a product that sells well, even if not latest tech.

The only thing that is not in the market yet for new MP are the new GPUs. Everything else, even the SSD is here!

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Yep, it has tested about 5-10% faster in cMP, not sure why.

It does seem about 50% faster than original 1TB though.

I could see Apple tossing in a "speed bump" upgrade with the newer CPUs and these faster drives.

EDIT:

Added a SM951 in nMP BMD test image. They occasionally drift into 1,400 range, but never hit 1,500 like in cMP.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-25 at 2.35.17 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-02-25 at 2.35.17 PM.jpg
    625.1 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

ManuelGomes

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 4, 2014
Aveiro, Portugal
Maybe they have already updated the GPUs as well, in line with the FirePro Wx100 series. Or even nVidia GPUs and we don't know.
At least it would be more up to date.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
In all seriousness read on the Mac Websites about all the things they are into; headphones, music streaming, watches, trying to get software to work correctly, etc., etc., etc. Do the apparently small development teams at Apple really have time to fiddle with computers? Apple's senior management has not impressed me that computers are a really big deal to them anymore.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
In all seriousness read on the Mac Websites about all the things they are into; headphones, music streaming, watches, trying to get software to work correctly, etc., etc., etc. Do the apparently small development teams at Apple really have time to fiddle with computers? Apple's senior management has not impressed me that computers are a really big deal to them anymore.

Yeah. I have a similar observation as yours too. The portables seem to be the bread and butter with regards to sales for Apple nowadays. The engineers and dev team are prioritizing the portables than pro computers.

MacProCard

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014

You do realize there are all kinds of departments within a company the size of Apple. I'd bet good money none of those development teams talk much or like each other much. They're always fighting for budget cash and power.

----------

Yeah. I have a similar observation as yours too. The portables seem to be the bread and butter with regards to sales for Apple nowadays. The engineers and dev team are prioritizing the portables than pro computers.

No. The iPhone team is gold for now...but you can bet every other team in Apple is doing everything to change that....and the only way to take iPhone down is to create sales and cash for their own products.

Last edited:

ManuelGomes

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 4, 2014
Aveiro, Portugal
You could be right, but I guess the big money is going somewhere else now.
If there's no dev money for the MacPro dept then I guess they'll just have to seat tight.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
You do realize there are all kinds of departments within a company the size of Apple. I'd bet good money none of those development teams talk much or like each other much. They're always fighting for budget cash and power.

It's true there are a lot of development teams at Apple (I doubt the guys who build custom Xeon workstations are being all pulled off to go work on the new iPad), but that's a really bad read of Apple. I don't know why you think teams at Apple don't like each other (that's very classicly something at Microsoft, but very un-Apple), and they definitely aren't having budget issues. If teams at Apple didn't like each other, Apple would be in a ditch right now, especially in since their whole thing is vertical integration.

The biggest problem Apple has is actually manpower, but again, I doubt the Mac Pro guys are being pulled off to go work on headphones.

----------

You could be right, but I guess the big money is going somewhere else now.
If there's no dev money for the MacPro dept then I guess they'll just have to seat tight.

Apple has more than enough money for the Mac Pro dept. Did you see their financials? Not enough money? What a joke.

There's a lot of marketing/engineering gates that a product needs to get through to be released. None of them right now have to do with money.

MacProCard

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
It's true there are a lot of development teams at Apple (I doubt the guys who build custom Xeon workstations are being all pulled off to go work on the new iPad), but that's a really bad read of Apple. I don't know why you think teams at Apple don't like each other (that's very classicly something at Microsoft, but very un-Apple), and they definitely aren't having budget issues. If teams at Apple didn't like each other, Apple would be in a ditch right now, especially in since their whole thing is vertical integration.

The biggest problem Apple has is actually manpower, but again, I doubt the Mac Pro guys are being pulled off to go work on headphones.

----------

Apple has more than enough money for the Mac Pro dept. Did you see their financials? Not enough money? What a joke.

There's a lot of marketing/engineering gates that a product needs to get through to be released. None of them right now have to do with money.

Well, the easy answer is everyone at Apple is trying to move up the ladder. --Competition. And when you enter into a corporation like Apple, you hope like heck, your boss gets promoted and takes you along with him. The flip side if your Boss gets canned, banned etc...you should start sending out resumes. The next guy is going to want to bring in his own team. (BTW, Heard of the lawsuit amongst silicon valley company with hiring each others workers? It's called cherry picking)

And of course once again, Everyone at Apple is held accountable by shareholders. So money always matters. Ever heard of Carl Icahn. I bet Tim Cook has !;)

ManuelGomes

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 4, 2014
Aveiro, Portugal
I never said Apple had money problems, record earnings do prove their financially very sound.
What I mean is that at the time, computers seem to be the least of their concerns, investment wise. Sales are good, but other more eye catching products need their full attention, even if the people are not the same.
The EV business for example, a new team is being pulled together, new hires and almost no existing techs, to grow to a 1000 people. Of course theses aren't going to be MacPro people, but still the focus has shifted.
And want it or not, MPC is right, even if everybody seems to get along in such a big corporation the fierce competition is there.

ManuelGomes

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 4, 2014
Aveiro, Portugal
Apple event on March 9th, Apple Watch presentation and maybe something else?!! Fingers crossed :)

----------

Spring Forward event... :)

They're also investing top dollar in VR systems, hiring new people with expertise in that area.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
Well, the easy answer is everyone at Apple is trying to move up the ladder. --Competition. And when you enter into a corporation like Apple, you hope like heck, your boss gets promoted and takes you along with him. The flip side if your Boss gets canned, banned etc...you should start sending out resumes. The next guy is going to want to bring in his own team. (BTW, Heard of the lawsuit amongst silicon valley company with hiring each others workers? It's called cherry picking)

And of course once again, Everyone at Apple is held accountable by shareholders. So money always matters. Ever heard of Carl Icahn. I bet Tim Cook has !;)

I thought cherry picking was the manipulation of statistics in a study and hiring away other companie's employees was called poaching.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004

This doesn't sound anything like Apple internally.

Also, yeah, what you are referring to is poaching. Not knowing terms doesn't exactly say good things about the source here.

Carl Icahn has no idea where Apple is spending their money, and last I heard, he wanted Apple to spend more money.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
The Mac Pro 6,1 is being discounted almost another 10% to corporate for the next 3 weeks or so so I'm thinking the 7,1 or 6,2 is going to be announced later today :D

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Seems bizarre that a year and a quarter later, they're still shipping the original configurations of the nMP. I know there's probably more to update beyond just swapping in a faster CPU but it even the initial version felt like there was new tech coming fairly soon that would be a big improvement over the first version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.