Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jetlitheone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
So I recently have been experiencing speaker distortion when watching videos or listening to music through my speakers on my macbook pro retina (15 inch) it just started randomly and I can hear it when not even on maximum volume but when it is its bad it sounds like a buzzing noise...

I do have applecare but anything I can try before than?

Since itll be hard to show them this in the store...

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2012
Speaker distortion could mean the cone is damaged, i doubt they would warranty it citing that loud volumes or specifically vlc could damage it but worth a try.

jetlitheone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
Speaker distortion could mean the cone is damaged, i doubt they would warranty it citing that loud volumes or specifically vlc could damage it but worth a try.

Haha I did have VLC I didnt realize the damn thing went to 200% -_-'

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2012
ouch! Well you can take it over to apple and have them look at it, if they warranty it then great if not i doubt it would be a bomb.

By the way even mine distorts at high volumes.

jetlitheone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
ouch! Well you can take it over to apple and have them look at it, if they warranty it then great if not i doubt it would be a bomb.

By the way even mine distorts at high volumes.

Maybe its normal then cause its only when things have a lot of treble like some female voices and stuff, can you check and see if the "funk" notification in the sound settings has a crackle if all the way up

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2012
couldn't agree more but hey the speaker still put great sound out so im kind of cool with some slight distortion.

batmanbegin

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2015
Haha I did have VLC I didnt realize the damn thing went to 200% -_-'

I know this is an old thread, but i am just wondering, when you say you put the volume to 200%, what is your macbook's volume? is it 100%?

let say i do the same thing, but i put my macbook volume at 20% or 50%, will it damage my macbook speaker? thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.