Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caldy315

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
I want to buy a macbook pro 13" used, but want to wipe everything off the hard drive and update to the newest OS (Yosemite) if possible. Potentially even install a better hard drive. I did some poking around but was wondering how if I take out the old drive and install a new one, that I can reinstall the OS without a CD? I have an external drive, but not sure on that process. Would likely want to swap out to a SSD but it wouldn't contain the OS on it. Wouldn't have TimeMachine setup either.

Any tutorials on this?

Thanks in advance.

Mik3F

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2011
If the MBP has had the firmware update you could use Internet recovery to download and install an OS and then upgrade to Yosemite that way (if it doesn't install it for you first time)

caldy315

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
Create a bootable USB drive, after downloading the OS. There's tutorials online

I'm assuming something like this would work correct?

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

If the MBP has had the firmware update you could use Internet recovery to download and install an OS and then upgrade to Yosemite that way (if it doesn't install it for you first time)

Care to elaborate more? Do I just need to do that prior to switching drives, or once the drive is already replaced? I'm just having a mental block as to how it would turn on and operate such as allowing you to go to the internet without having an OS loaded. Maybe I'm over thinking it.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My opinion, and mine only.

I would strongly suggest that you DO NOT try to install Yosemite on the MBPro UNLESS you also install an SSD.

The performance of Yosemite on an older Mac with a platter-based HDD is going to be.... well...... disappointing.

Having said that, it's an easy procedure to swap drives on a 2010 MBPro, I've done it myself. Just be sure you use THE RIGHT TOOLS (shouting intentional) for the job. You'll need a Phillips #00 screwdriver and a TORX T-6 driver.

I would also suggest you also get a 2.5" external enclosure, so that you can "prep and test" any SSD you buy BEFORE you "do the installation". This can save you a lot of headaches down the line.

After you have prepped, tested, and installed the SSD in place of the old drive, put the old drive into the enclosure and let it become your backup. If you use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper, you can create a bootable cloned backup, and have an immediately-accessible "second boot source" close-at-hand.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
This

I would strongly suggest that you DO NOT try to install Yosemite on the MBPro UNLESS you also install an SSD.

The performance of Yosemite on an older Mac with a platter-based HDD is going to be.... well...... disappointing.

Having said that, it's an easy procedure to swap drives on a 2010 MBPro, I've done it myself. Just be sure you use THE RIGHT TOOLS (shouting intentional) for the job. You'll need a Phillips #00 screwdriver and a TORX T-6 driver.

I would also suggest you also get a 2.5" external enclosure, so that you can "prep and test" any SSD you buy BEFORE you "do the installation". This can save you a lot of headaches down the line.

After you have prepped, tested, and installed the SSD in place of the old drive, put the old drive into the enclosure and let it become your backup. If you use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper, you can create a bootable cloned backup, and have an immediately-accessible "second boot source" close-at-hand.

This is just about the best advice so far

caldy315

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010

This is what I have been reading. Sounds like CCC is about the best thing since sliced bread.

vince22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2013
i have identical 2010 13" Mbp as yours, just upgraded to SSD and its runs like new again, created yosemite usb installer as well, finally got rid of bootcamp and installed VMware Fusion 7 and buttery smooth indeed.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-18 at 9.03.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-18 at 9.03.25 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 97

caldy315

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
In reading this...

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Do I have to have a working MBP prior in order to do that? What if the macbook has no operating system on it's current hdd? I understand that I can load it to a USB/thumb drive, but do I have to have a MBP with an OS first and then download it, switch drives and upload to the new drive?

Otherwise, can I use a different Mac to download said pieces in that link and then upload to MBP that doesn't have a OS on hdd? Does that make any sense?

The MBP I was looking at turns on and displays fine, it just doesn't have an OS on the hdd and needs one to operate (I presume).

Mik3F

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2011
As long as you can create the USB installer you will be fine.

It doesn't matter if the target machine has no OS installed as you will be installing one

caldy315

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
As long as you can create the USB installer you will be fine.

It doesn't matter if the target machine has no OS installed as you will be installing one

Ok, that makes sense. But what I'm wondering is if I need another Mac to create the USB installer or if that can be done on a PC?

Mik3F

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2011
Try booting up the MAC whilst holding down Command Option R. If it goes into Internet recovery you may be able to install the OS without creating the USB installer

caldy315

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
Try booting up the MAC whilst holding down Command Option R. If it goes into Internet recovery you may be able to install the OS without creating the USB installer

Well I've hit a road block and barely started! I've got my usb partitioned right, but I can't find an image or dmg file to install. My girlfriend has an older macbook (white from around 2008) but that has 10.6 (snow leopard I think) on it. I can't find the image of 10.6 on her computer and the app store won't allow me to download Yosemite because her computer isn't upgradable beyond 10.6 I believe. She doesn't have any installation cds either.

My thought was that I could get the OS image file from her computer, put it on the new computer and then upgrade the new computer through the app store. But I can't even find her image file on her computer.

Tips?

caldy315

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
Follow the instructions given in the post that you quoted. (ie: Use Internet Recovery) If the previous owner installed this EFI update, then it will have enabled Internet Recovery for OS X Lion: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1478

Internet Recovery: http://support.apple.com/HT4718

EDIT: I'm an idiot, I tried the command +R button. I'll retry this when I get home.
I did try that. I pressed the option+R button prior to powering on and I read that you're supposed to hold until the Apple logo comes up. If this is correct, I didn't ever get the logo to show for about a minute or two. I then just let go of the buttons. Doing this wrong?

caldy315

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
Follow the instructions given in the post that you quoted. (ie: Use Internet Recovery) If the previous owner installed this EFI update, then it will have enabled Internet Recovery for OS X Lion: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1478

Internet Recovery: http://support.apple.com/HT4718

As a follow up, I've gotten into recovery mode, but it won't allow me to reinstall the OS from there. I get an error when I try. I've used a buddies hdd out of his MBP 13" mid 2009.

I've also come across constant kernel panics. I can get it to do something other than kernel panic in recovery mode and the alt/option mode where it allows you to choose your bootable drives.

It won't boot in safe mode either, it shows the apple logo and the icon below spinning for awhile and then brings the gray curtain down that I've come to know as the "kernel panic". I've used his RAM and his hdd as I don't know for sure what came with this computer was original.

From what I've read, it could be a logic board issue. Hoping not though, and still searching for an image

Mik3F

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2011
Can you try booting from a USB caddy?

It could be a faulty SATA cable causing the Kernel Panics

caldy315

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
Can you try booting from a USB caddy?

It could be a faulty SATA cable causing the Kernel Panics

That's my next troubleshooting plan. But if that was the problem, I shouldn't be able to see the disk in recovery mode right? I'm able to look at the disk in recovery mode and the contents inside.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
That depends on the nature of the fault in the cable. In some cases, you can still see the drive, while in others the drive can't be seen.

caldy315

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
Alright, we can put this one to bed/solved.

I couldn't find an image due to availability and my girlfriends white macbook being too old to do upgrade. I was stuck and tried a couple different things, but ended up finding a guy on craigslist selling a new crucial m4 ssd. In his ad he mentioned macbook's performance being increased, so I contacted him and see if he would load the ssd with an OS as I wasn't sure it was going to work. I was thinking I had sunk a little bit of money into a piece of aluminum at that point.

But as luck would have it, it turns out that the new ssd with yosemite worked out great and finally booted! So I got the computer working as it should and a new ssd for $85. And the whole works under $300 so it turned out pretty good.

That depends on the nature of the fault in the cable. In some cases, you can still see the drive, while in others the drive can't be seen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.