Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mk.82

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2014
Actually, Apple never pays for product placement. Microsoft, Samsung, Dell all do, but if you see an Apple product in a TV show or movie, it was the choice of the director/producer, not because Apple paid for it to be there.
I have heard that as well long time ago before iPhone was out. And I think I can believe that as it was told by art directors.
Microsoft does heavy payment to get windows logo to be visible or get actors to say "Bing it" or use now surface everywhere to show it stand and Modern start screen.

Some companies even require you to pay them from product placement or pay even more if you brake those, like example Ferrari or lotus. Why you don't really see those often.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
I have to say, that was a brilliant episode. I watched it twice and laughed my ass off.

Me too! :D. One of the best.

When she facetimes her dad and see's his ear I died laughing, so many times this happened!

It was like a 23 minute Apple commercial, I'm sure they paid for it.

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
earlier in this thread i was defending the concept, but after watching it, i have to say i was expecting something a little more creative. dunno what that was, but anyway.. really, what really turned me off was the zooming in and out on mouse clicks and different windows. i don't ever get queasy watching 'found footage' movies, but the mechanical nature of the rapid zooms and pans in this ep made me kinda dizzy.

and i kinda suspect they shot claires footage with a pro digital camera or something. she looked far and away better than the other actors in their more realistic FaceTime scenarios.

Jcknows0

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2013
0 Infinite Loop
earlier in this thread i was defending the concept, but after watching it, i have to say i was expecting something a little more creative. dunno what that was, but anyway.. really, what really turned me off was the zooming in and out on mouse clicks and different windows. i don't ever get queasy watching 'found footage' movies, but the mechanical nature of the rapid zooms and pans in this ep made me kinda dizzy.

and i kinda suspect they shot claires footage with a pro digital camera or something. she looked far and away better than the other actors in their more realistic FaceTime scenarios.

I really liked it and I thought I would be off put by the usage of iPhone cameras (although ABC only broadcasts in 720p so I guess that helps). I did like how they used iPhoto as well so it wasn't just a social networking/facetime centric episode. It really felt like I've felt being stuck in an airport.

CPx

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
They did a great job! I can see what they meant by rebuilding OS X. And dang, wouldn't multiple party FaceTime be nice...

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
I finally got a look at the episode last might. Absolutely brilliant and funny. I never watch the show but it worked great as a stand-alone story. Really fun. Oh how I wish I could use Facetime like that. Having a conference feature would be wonderful!

LollyW

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2015
Hilarious! And impressive!

Ironically I watched the episode on my iPad which I never do. Which made it easier to read all the messages and and pop ups, etc.
It really was a great episode and pretty realistic on how we use our Macs, iPhones & iPads for everything. While still trying to take care of business.
I also learned a few things from watching, things I haven't tried on my own device. Very funny episode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.