Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Um, yeah?

iPhone 5S: 3.95 ounces
iPhone 6: 4.55 ounces
iPhone 6 Plus: 6.07 ounces

Going from a 5S to a 6 is just a 15.2% increase in weight, however going from a 5S to a 6 Plus is a 53.7% increase in weight.

So yeah, going from a 5S to a 6 Plus (which is what I did, as well as OP) is a dramatic increase in weight.

Even going from 6 to a 6 Plus is a 33.4% increase in weight.

So yeah. Heavy.

Are you a smurf? J/k

Just seems like 6 ounces is never heavy since you are only holding your phone for a few mins at a time.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
How the heck do you people hold your phones when typing?

This is me typing 1-handed and 2-handed. Never feel like the device is top-heavy and my pinkies certainly don't get sore at all.....

Attachments

• Photo Feb 23, 2 54 25 PM.jpg
    Photo Feb 23, 2 54 25 PM.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 107
  • Photo Feb 23, 2 55 08 PM.jpg
    Photo Feb 23, 2 55 08 PM.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 94

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
Did you end up buying a 6+ ?

I did! Got one on Swappa for a decent price as far as the 6+ goes. Went with the 64GB Space Gray model as anything less would be a big stretch for me (had/have a 16GB 4s. It's got 12GB useable).

I'm actually able to one hand it pretty well after a week of use. I also put a red Apple silicone case on it. The case the guy shipped it with was far too large. (Tech 21 impact case). Added a lot of width even if it was pretty thin.

Pretty happy with it. Camera is much better than the Moto X, as is the battery. Miss Lollipop though. But I can deal. I use both on a regular basis so I have everything where it can be accessed by any platform so I'm not stuck in one ecosystem.

It doesn't seem to put that much strain on my pinky surprisingly. But I grip it a little different than I did the Moto, especially with the case adding grip on the sides.

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
Yes. I too am experience some pinky discomfort...especially on the inside part of the pinky where the phone rest. I think, part of the problem he's the case. I am using the leather case and I think that somehow the shape it's cutting into my pinky. Maybe changing case will make things better.

Don't you just love first world problems?

Exact problem, especially with the bottom edge of the case being so thin. It's just minor discomfort though, wouldn't say sore at all.

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
OP, YES!

After about two weeks with my 6 Plus my pinkie finger started hurting and even my wrist was sore. It was because the 6 Plus is just so damned heavy!

I actually switched to a regular 6 because of this. It's much lighter.
HEAVY??? Like, 5 oz.? What is this world coming to?

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
No issues here.

However when I first started using the iPhone 6 Plus I did notice that the lightening charger port felt sharp on my 'pinky' finger due to the way I hold/cradle the iPhone. Now I don't notice this.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
No pain here, and hold it like the attached photo, similar to a lot of people here. otherwise I use it in landscape...a lot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 95

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
No issues here.

However when I first started using the iPhone 6 Plus I did notice that the lightening charger port felt sharp on my 'pinky' finger due to the way I hold/cradle the iPhone. Now I don't notice this.

Sharp? It doesn't protrude ... :confused:

Last edited:

dk206

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2012
London
@OP
I know exactly what you mean. One hand or both hands I use either hands picky to support the bottom of the phone. Guess we need to learn to grip the phone with all fingers behind the phone...or get a grippy case

----------

It's significantly heavy compared to either the 5 or 6. Or any other top flagships from Samsung e.g Note 4

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
@OP
I know exactly what you mean. One hand or both hands I use either hands picky to support the bottom of the phone. Guess we need to learn to grip the phone with all fingers behind the phone...or get a grippy case

----------

It's significantly heavy compared to either the 5 or 6. Or any other top flagships from Samsung e.g Note 4
I am holding my 5C and my 6 plus and I honestly cannot feel any difference. This phone is too heavy!!! #21stcenturyproblems

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
@OP

----------

Significantly heavier? How much heavier ? 10 grams? 20 ? Give me a break....

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2012
Significantly heavier? How much heavier ? 10 grams? 20 ? Give me a break....

53% heavier than 5S to be exact.

----------

6.07 oz, actually, vs. 3.95 oz for the 5S.

----------

I am holding my 5C and my 6 plus and I honestly cannot feel any difference. This phone is too heavy!!! #21stcenturyproblems

I'm sorry that you cannot feel the difference. But that doesn't change the fact that the difference is significant, and at least some of us do notice it, quite a bit. I certainly notice it.

I'm not complaining about it or saying it's a bad thing, it just is what it is-- a much heavier phone than 5S was, or even than 6 is. That's not good or bad, it just is.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
53% heavier than 5S to be exact.

----------

6.07 oz, actually, vs. 3.95 oz for the 5S.

----------

I'm sorry that you cannot feel the difference. But that doesn't change the fact that the difference is significant, and at least some of us do notice it, quite a bit. I certainly notice it.

I'm not complaining about it or saying it's a bad thing, it just is what it is-- a much heavier phone than 5S was, or even than 6 is. That's not good or bad, it just is.

I don't carry with me a percentage. I carry a few grams of materials. If you have a problem in carrying with you a 170 grams phone instead of a 120 grams, well, I'm sorry for you....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.